Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

16 hours ago, m92 said:

Hey everyone! Just stopping by as I visited a few months ago prior to seeing if any schools were doing late intakes due to COVID19, thought I would sign up and ask a question since time is nearing for applications to be accepted at a lot of schools.

Two questions, one easy and one hard:

1) Nobody seems to mention UVic, is there any reason for this? Just curious.

2) My resume is by no means as impressive let alone in comparison to anyone else's, I've read most of last years thread, as well as this years and all of you have AMAZING CV's. My resume fits the requirements for most programs offering some sort of non-BSW entry but it's by no means competitive. I don't have too many hours of professional (paid/unpaid) human services experience, mostly from 6 years of coaching Special Olympics and volunteering on my university/college campuses, but that's it. It's a field I admittedly "stumbled upon" as I didn't have a ton of knowledge about the field until I started exploring more during the pandemic/current political climate. However, I have decent grades, have completed both stats and research methods, the latter with a high 70's. My GPA is a 3.3/4.0 and I definitely have some context to my grades being lower due to a newly diagnosed chronic illness during my undergrad but other than that it's a basic profile. Sadly, due to discovering the field late and with the pandemic, there aren't any ways to obtain work experience in my area except for through the Crisis Text Line which I will be looking to do regardless as it just seems like a great opportunity. I've reached out and due to the pandemic there just aren't ways to bring new hires in to volunteer, let alone work.

I think my potential is my upside, however, given the reality, is it even worth applying? I definitely got into the grove of things and reading everyones perspectives on various programs it seems as though a lot offer critical takes on the field as well as in other areas that social work is utilized (policy, healthcare etc.,) and for me that is as those are topics I readily engaged with in my undergrad (Political Science). The only saving-grace I have is that some schools mention two to three additional criteria that I hold which may give me preference in the application process. The first is that I'm a black person; the second being that I'm a POC, the two sometimes being stated separately or together; and finally I have a disability. I know they aren't earth-shattering circumstances, but if it's listed, I certainly want to capitalize on that, however, ultimately, I know that my CV/application itself is on the weaker side.

I know you can't sink a shot you don't take, but I don't know if it's even worth it? I'm kind of at a point where if I apply, 2021 would be the year, but the reality is applications are also costly, very costly, and I don't want to apply being potentially lowly qualified. I definitely have less than 1000 hours and there is no way I'll be getting to 3000 by the time applications roll around, that's about 8 hours per day over the next 52 weeks and sadly I've got to make money to live, let alone pay for apps. So what does everyone think? PS you can be honest, I don't mind.

I think you aren't giving yourself enough credit. You've demonstrated plenty of civic engagement throughout volunteering with Special Olympics and in student organized initiatives (which demonstrate both your commitment to improving the quality of life of folks with disabilities/the importance of accessibility, your interpersonal skills and how to communicate effectively with people of varying abilities), you can spin your experience so many ways!

Not to mention I think political science is a fantastic undergrad to complement social work, as any critical discourses around social work do intersect with politics and policy!

And, as you mentioned, you occupy underrepresented identities in the field. Your presence in the field matters so much. Not only to diversify the voices that occupy academic and professional spaces, but for the people/communities you will interact with and work with in the future.

To summarize my TedTalk: BELIEVE IN YOURSELF! YOU ARE WORTHY AND NEEDED IN THIS FIELD :)

Edited by MSW204Bri

Hi All! 

Like all of you, I am venturing into the application process for 2021 admissions. I've applied once before, right after finishing my BSW in 2019- got wait listed and never made it in. I have been working Frontline mental health so I do have experience, but again hard to know and feels like nothing is never enough with how competitive these programs are. I'm applying to Laurier's online part time program for May 2021 start date and plan on submitting more applications in the fall when they open. I've been working hard on my personal statement but sometimes I just get stuck- can anyone provide any guidance on this? It's so hard to know how to answer the questions, they don't give you a lot of direction. Also, probably like all of you, I doubt myself A LOT so I'm sure that doesn't help. 

Hi everyone,

After spying on people's posts for a long time I've decided to make a post as well :) 

I'm also applying to MSW programs in Canada (and 2 in the States but that doesn't matter) and I'm hoping to start Fall 2021! I'm kinda worried about my application since I'm applying straight out of undergrad (i.e., I'm currently finishing my last year) so I don't have that much human service experience. I have a 3.8 GPA and A+ in research courses, but only about 1000h of human service volunteer experience, and my practicum this year has been canceled due to COVID. 

Right now I'm thinking about non-BSW entrance at UofT, York, Carleton, UWO, UWin, Darhousie, and UBC-O, I gave up Laurier cuz it has a pretty rigid requirement in terms of experience hours. I understand that for applicants without a BSW degree, the programs kinda expect us to have been working in the field for a while before applying ... so I'm also considering whether I should apply this year or I should go working first :(

Good luck everyone! 

I am currently applying to the 2 year online MSW at Laurier - May 2021. For fall 2021 I am applying to both the two year programs at Laurier and Kings.

Right now I am at 6300 hours of relevant work/volunteer experience (Justice Worker, CMHA mental health worker, Hospital, Support Worker, Teaching Assistant, Board Member etc.). By the time I apply to sept 2021 I should have a couple hundred more.

Average last 2 years is 82%. Did my undergrad through western majoring in Disability Studies, minoring in Psychology. I also have several certificates in different things such as BPD, behavioural analysis, developmental trauma, etc.)

I applied last year to kings and Laurier, rejected from kings, wait listed at Laurier (still waiting for that).

i learned my mistake was my personal statement which I made a lot of improvement on for this year! 

good luck everyone :)

On 8/3/2020 at 6:20 PM, olivolia said:

I am currently applying to the 2 year online MSW at Laurier - May 2021. For fall 2021 I am applying to both the two year programs at Laurier and Kings.

Right now I am at 6300 hours of relevant work/volunteer experience (Justice Worker, CMHA mental health worker, Hospital, Support Worker, Teaching Assistant, Board Member etc.). By the time I apply to sept 2021 I should have a couple hundred more.

Average last 2 years is 82%. Did my undergrad through western majoring in Disability Studies, minoring in Psychology. I also have several certificates in different things such as BPD, behavioural analysis, developmental trauma, etc.)

I applied last year to kings and Laurier, rejected from kings, wait listed at Laurier (still waiting for that).

i learned my mistake was my personal statement which I made a lot of improvement on for this year! 

oh my goodness that is an amazing application!!
how did you feel about applying to Kings / do you have any suggestions or advice? my top two schools that I would like to apply to are Laurier and Kings as well and from what I have heard they are both so competitive!

On 8/3/2020 at 6:20 PM, olivolia said:

I was wondering what you meant by your mistake was your personal statement and how did you improve it?

On 8/5/2020 at 7:46 AM, skittles15 said:

how did you feel about applying to Kings / do you have any suggestions or advice? my top two schools that I would like to apply to are Laurier and Kings as well and from what I have heard they are both so competitive!

I am an international student with BSW, hoping to apply for MSW 2021 in canada. It appears that Laurier and Lakehead are two popular schools here, while UT and UBC seem to be mentioned less frequently (esp UBC). I wonder why Laurier and Lakehouse are with such high reputation among prospective students? 

Edited by AliceK

14 hours ago, AliceK said:

I am an international student with BSW, hoping to apply for MSW 2021 in canada. It appears that Laurier and Lakehead are two popular schools here, while UT and UBC seem to be mentioned less frequently (esp UBC). I wonder why Laurier and Lakehouse are with such high reputation among prospective students? 

Hi there,

I don't know enough about it, but I think U of T is actually one of the most popular and is known to be fiercely competitive! You'll see it mentioned a ton on previous years and forums. 

I think Lakehead is predominantly mentioned for the HBSW program for students without a BSW. 

I'm positive UBC is competitive too, but I think there is a greater proportion of the population that lives in Ontario and would like to stay in Ontario / are active on this forum (just a guess? I'm Manitoban, wouldn't know!) 

And some of their schools (Laurier, U of T, York, etc) have a lot of prestige attached to their name, and to what I understand, competitive advantages when it comes to practicums. 

On 8/6/2020 at 9:52 PM, AliceK said:

One thing that makes Laurier so popular and competitive is that it is the only University in Canada that offers an online MSW program for students who do not have a BSW. 

On 8/4/2020 at 7:46 PM, skittles15 said:

Thank you! 
I learned that King’s is very focused on the academic part of things. 50% is your marks, 30% is your personal statement and 20% is your experience. They are very precise about the personal statement! I would suggest getting help from someone who works in the MSW program or went to it! 
Laurier I believe is more focused on your experience rather than grades! 

On 8/5/2020 at 3:48 PM, mswcansm said:

I was wondering what you meant by your mistake was your personal statement and how did you improve it?

I did not make my personal statement personal at all.. ironic right lol, I did not look into what the schools goals/values are in terms of social work. I have a lot of personal stuff I went through that I never included because I never thought I should! But a lot of people told me this is very important so I just included some personal experience that brought me to the MSW.

I am wondering if anyone has ever resubmitted there grades after the fall semester. I am applying for the 2 year MSW, but because of mental health my fourth year grades were not so good so I am doing s fifth year. I took 2 summer courses as well and am doing very well so far. However, since the university requires that all grades be submitted by December, the university won't see my fall term grades. I was hoping I could resubmit my grades in January, once my fall grades are up. So that they will have an updated transcript. Has anyone ever done this?

Hey everyone!

I could definitely use some advice if anyone can help. I have a honours thesis undergrad in psychology and was originally planning to do clinical psych but after being rejected twice, I'm exploring MSW as an option.

The schools I am looking at are U of T, York, Windsor, and Laurier. Ideally I want to go somewhere that allows me to focus on mental health and possibility write a thesis, but I'm flexible. I have some thoughts and questions I would love to talk out with people:

1) Work experience - I was told by a friend with a MSW that pretty much any job where you work with people counts towards getting you in. Is this true? Initially I thought I only had about 3000 hours of work and volunteer experience that was relevant, but if they will count my hours from fast food/government/on campus/museum jobs, it would be closer to probably 7 or 8000 (havent done the exact math). I'm also wondering if this is considered a competitive amount of hours?

2) My GPA for upper year courses is 83% and for my entire degree is 85%. Is this generally competitive? How much is GPA usually taken into account?

I've also taken 3 research methods courses but none of them have particular good grades, my highest is a 72%. That being said, I've written a research thesis and have about 300 additional hours of research experience on top of that, so I'm hoping that makes up for my low grades in those classes.

3) I've heard people say that MSW personal statements are less formal/academic than the ones we would submit for psychology. Does anyone know where I can get ideas for how to write a good statement for this program?

4) People who have been rejected/accepted from MSW, any particular advice?

5) Anyone have any clue whats going on with information sessions during this pandemic? I found an old one online for U of T but nothing else for the other schools.

On 8/15/2020 at 3:21 PM, angelicpiano said:

I am wondering if anyone has ever resubmitted there grades after the fall semester. I am applying for the 2 year MSW, but because of mental health my fourth year grades were not so good so I am doing s fifth year. I took 2 summer courses as well and am doing very well so far. However, since the university requires that all grades be submitted by December, the university won't see my fall term grades. I was hoping I could resubmit my grades in January, once my fall grades are up. So that they will have an updated transcript. Has anyone ever done this?

I don't believe it is possible to resubmit your grades in January as some graduate admissions committees could possibly meet before then. I would probably double check with the school but it would be very unlikely :( 

22 hours ago, Sofiaofspace said:

Hey everyone!

I could definitely use some advice if anyone can help. I have a honours thesis undergrad in psychology and was originally planning to do clinical psych but after being rejected twice, I'm exploring MSW as an option.

The schools I am looking at are U of T, York, Windsor, and Laurier. Ideally I want to go somewhere that allows me to focus on mental health and possibility write a thesis, but I'm flexible. I have some thoughts and questions I would love to talk out with people:

1) Work experience - I was told by a friend with a MSW that pretty much any job where you work with people counts towards getting you in. Is this true? Initially I thought I only had about 3000 hours of work and volunteer experience that was relevant, but if they will count my hours from fast food/government/on campus/museum jobs, it would be closer to probably 7 or 8000 (havent done the exact math). I'm also wondering if this is considered a competitive amount of hours?

2) My GPA for upper year courses is 83% and for my entire degree is 85%. Is this generally competitive? How much is GPA usually taken into account?

I've also taken 3 research methods courses but none of them have particular good grades, my highest is a 72%. That being said, I've written a research thesis and have about 300 additional hours of research experience on top of that, so I'm hoping that makes up for my low grades in those classes.

3) I've heard people say that MSW personal statements are less formal/academic than the ones we would submit for psychology. Does anyone know where I can get ideas for how to write a good statement for this program?

4) People who have been rejected/accepted from MSW, any particular advice?

5) Anyone have any clue whats going on with information sessions during this pandemic? I found an old one online for U of T but nothing else for the other schools.

Hello! 

1) Yes and no - it would depend on what you were doing. Fast food and museum jobs would be unlikely, but maybe the government/on campus jobs may count depending on what the position was. For example, I held two positions on campus while I was at school, one being a intern/receptionist and the other one was an event coordinator. The intern position did not count even though I was working with people everyday. but the event coordinator did because I was doing events and working with participants at health and wellness based events (topics like food insecurity, depression/self-harm, etc). Most applications will ask the position title and the responsibilities you had in that role.

2) Often schools will state where they are getting your GPA information from, for example they may say "applicants must have a 75% average in the last 10 credits of study" or something like that. Most MSW programs take the last 10 credits/two years of study and calculate your GPA based on that rather your entire degree. Laurier in particular, can see your entire transcript but measures your GPA based on the last two years of study. The importance of GPA depends on the school, some put more weight on grades, others experience. Also, I believe the majority of applicants have averages in the 80s so its not a bad average at all. 

3) Yes and no - personal statements differ a lot between schools. Some MSW personal statements require you to name a professor you would like to work with, their research, your research topic, why you may be a good fit, listing of your publications, and have it all written in APA format. Other schools want a more personal approach that is less formal and less academic. Some even provide you with specific questions they want you to answer. I would check out their website and ask admissions what they prefer. 

4) My advice is to apply to every possible place you would reasonably go to, even if it is not your first choice. I made the mistake of only applying to only 1 school and didn't get in so now I plan on applying to as many as I can.

5) I have never heard of information sessions so I don't know if every school does one even before covid.

I hope some of this helps and good luck!! :) 

Hi everyone! 
I received my acceptance for the January 2021 start for Advance Standing MSW at Windsor for working professionals. I was originally waitlisted for the September 2020 start (I figure because of rolling admission I was waitlisted, considering I applied much closer to the deadline). Happy to have heard back and join the program in January! Is there anyone else who is starting in January? Has a Facebook or google hang outs been created yet? 

Want to thank so many awesome folks on this forum who have provided encouragement and useful insight through this process. 

Goodluck to everyone! 

Hi everyone!

I graduated with my BSW in 2011, and have been on the fence for a few years about chasing my MSW. This is the year! 

My marks aren't stellar (3.4/4), but I have loads of experience (I think?).

I have about 15,000 paid hours since graduating spread between child protection (3 years), addictions (2 years),  emergency management/emergency social services (4 years). 

Prior to graduating, I also spent 3 years providing respite care for a young man with Autism, managing a summer camp for children with Autism for two years, and as a residential counselor for children and youth in care for three years. 

I've also been a volunteer with Red Cross and meals on wheels. 

Feeling a little like I have imposter syndrome to be honest! 

I'm only looking at distance programs, as I own my own home here on the east coast, and I can't pay my mortgage if I'm not working. U Vic doesn't seem like a good fit for me, but I am looking at Waterloo/Renison, Calgary, Memorial, and Laurier. I received my BSW from Memorial, but it's not my first choice. That being said, they weight favorably towards NL residents which increases my odds!

I currently work in emergency management and emergency social services, and my goal is to stay in the field. An MSW will help me in program evaluation and design, and open some doors for professional development. And, it will be a safety net in case I do change fields and return to direct service as an MSW is required for anything non child protection here it seems.

Good luck everyone!

On 9/1/2020 at 8:09 AM, jillianjay said:

Hi everyone!

I graduated with my BSW in 2011, and have been on the fence for a few years about chasing my MSW. This is the year! 

My marks aren't stellar (3.4/4), but I have loads of experience (I think?).

I have about 15,000 paid hours since graduating spread between child protection (3 years), addictions (2 years),  emergency management/emergency social services (4 years). 

Prior to graduating, I also spent 3 years providing respite care for a young man with Autism, managing a summer camp for children with Autism for two years, and as a residential counselor for children and youth in care for three years. 

I've also been a volunteer with Red Cross and meals on wheels. 

Feeling a little like I have imposter syndrome to be honest! 

I'm only looking at distance programs, as I own my own home here on the east coast, and I can't pay my mortgage if I'm not working. U Vic doesn't seem like a good fit for me, but I am looking at Waterloo/Renison, Calgary, Memorial, and Laurier. I received my BSW from Memorial, but it's not my first choice. That being said, they weight favorably towards NL residents which increases my odds!

I currently work in emergency management and emergency social services, and my goal is to stay in the field. An MSW will help me in program evaluation and design, and open some doors for professional development. And, it will be a safety net in case I do change fields and return to direct service as an MSW is required for anything non child protection here it seems.

Good luck everyone!

It sounds like you have a lot of very valuable experience. Anyone would be lucky to have you in their MSW program! Best of luck :)

Hi All,

After hours of reading through these forums, I am going to post.

I don't have a BSW, so I will be applying to non-BSW streams (UVic, UNBC, and maybe WLU).

I have a BA from UBC with 85% in my last 10 courses. I do have a few low grades in some courses in my BA, and some of my better grades are in Creative Writing, which may work against me.

I have a certificate in Expressive Art Therapy from Langara College.

By Dec 2020 I will have about 5000 combined hours working in human services: 2600 working on a rural Intensive Case Management Team in Mental Health & Substance Use, 350 hours coordinating a Harm Reduction program for the local hospital, 300 hours facilitating groups to individuals living with disabilities, about 2000 hours working as a respite caregiver for individuals living with disabilities, about 100  hours facilitating art therapy groups within recovery houses, about 100 hours facilitating art therapy in my practicum at MH support society and in a school, and about 100 hours teaching bike mechanics to marginalized populations).

I have also worked facilitating youth camps and at after-school programs, but the advisor at WLU discouraged me from including more general work with youth, even if they are with underserved populations. Altogether, my work with youth in after-school programs, etc, is probably around 2,000 hours more, but much of it is from 5 or 10 years ago, and not all of it feels relevant to social work.

I have seen on these forums that the average WLU applicant has about 7000 hours in work/volunteer experience in human services.

I would need to take 6 credits of social sciences and one 3 credit research methods course in order to apply for WLU's non-BSW online p/t program. This would cost about $2000 at UBC (I am currently registered as an unclassified student in these courses), or $3000 at Athabasca.

I will be working 32 hours/week this semester and taking 9 credits in order to be able to apply for Fall 2021 at WLU.

My partner is applying for RN programs, so if I were to take the online program at WLU, it would make it much more likely that we could do both of our programs at once.

I am wondering if I should go through with taking the 9 credits to apply for WLU, as it seems it's so competitive and many people with similar experience and grades seem to be waitlisted and/or declined. I could apply for other programs that don't have these requirements, but then we would both have to move to one of these communities, and if he didn't get into a program in the same place I did, one of us would be hooped.

It sounds like it might be a hectic, expensive fall, and it most likely will be unnecessary. 

Any thoughts on if I should go through with it or not?

The last day to drop classes without a W is Sept 21 at UBC.

Good luck to all applying to programs.

PS I noticed somebody had asked why UVic is mentioned so little on this forum. I have the same question. It looks like a great program to me. Is it because a social-justice focused program is not what people are seeking, or is it location-based (nobody wants to move to Victoria)?

Just now, Peppercorn said:

Hi All,

After hours of reading through these forums, I am going to post.

I don't have a BSW, so I will be applying to non-BSW streams (UVic, UNBC, and maybe WLU).

I have a BA from UBC with 85% in my last 10 courses. I do have a few low grades in some courses in my BA, and some of my better grades are in Creative Writing, which may work against me.

I have a certificate in Expressive Art Therapy from Langara College.

By Dec 2020 I will have about 5000 combined hours working in human services: 2600 working on a rural Intensive Case Management Team in Mental Health & Substance Use, 350 hours coordinating a Harm Reduction program for the local hospital, 300 hours facilitating groups to individuals living with disabilities, about 2000 hours working as a respite caregiver for individuals living with disabilities, about 100  hours facilitating art therapy groups within recovery houses, about 100 hours facilitating art therapy in my practicum at MH support society and in a school, and about 100 hours teaching bike mechanics to marginalized populations).

I have also worked facilitating youth camps and at after-school programs, but the advisor at WLU discouraged me from including more general work with youth, even if they are with underserved populations. Altogether, my work with youth in after-school programs, etc, is probably around 2,000 hours more, but much of it is from 5 or 10 years ago, and not all of it feels relevant to social work.

I have seen on these forums that the average WLU applicant has about 7000 hours in work/volunteer experience in human services.

I would need to take 6 credits of social sciences and one 3 credit research methods course in order to apply for WLU's non-BSW online p/t program. This would cost about $2000 at UBC (I am currently registered as an unclassified student in these courses), or $3000 at Athabasca.

I will be working 32 hours/week this semester and taking 9 credits in order to be able to apply for Fall 2021 at WLU.

My partner is applying for RN programs, so if I were to take the online program at WLU, it would make it much more likely that we could do both of our programs at once.

I am wondering if I should go through with taking the 9 credits to apply for WLU, as it seems it's so competitive and many people with similar experience and grades seem to be waitlisted and/or declined. I could apply for other programs that don't have these requirements, but then we would both have to move to one of these communities, and if he didn't get into a program in the same place I did, one of us would be hooped.

It sounds like it might be a hectic, expensive fall, and it most likely will be unnecessary. 

Any thoughts on if I should go through with it or not?

The last day to drop classes without a W is Sept 21 at UBC.

Good luck to all applying to programs.

PS I noticed somebody had asked why UVic is mentioned so little on this forum. I have the same question. It looks like a great program to me. Is it because a social-justice focused program is not what people are seeking, or is it location-based (nobody wants to move to Victoria)?

I don't know why the WLU advisor told you not to include the day camp facilitation in your hours. I did and I was accepted my first time applying. In fact, I was encouraged to include it by my advisor. It is absolutely relevant experience. There is crisis management, programming, behaviour intervention, and counselling occurring all the time in those programs. I would put it in and highlight those aspects of the position. I don't know if that helps you with the decision any...

Just now, ErinCM said:

I don't know why the WLU advisor told you not to include the day camp facilitation in your hours. I did and I was accepted my first time applying. In fact, I was encouraged to include it by my advisor. It is absolutely relevant experience. There is crisis management, programming, behaviour intervention, and counselling occurring all the time in those programs. I would put it in and highlight those aspects of the position. I don't know if that helps you with the decision any...

That is very helpful, ErinCM, and encouraging. I will have to track down pay information to track the hours from various camps. Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I’m a BSW student and pursuing to apply for MSW upon graduation!

As I want to focus on studying Children and Families in Social Work, I found U of T and UBC offer field of study for the topic. Does anyone know any other universities that offer Children and Families field in their MSW programs?

Also, from different MSW application forums in the grad cafe, I found UBC seems not quite popular even though they offer BSW, MSW and PhD. Does anyone know why UBC’s Social Work program is not as popular as other universities?

I will very appreciate it if someone could help me out for those questions!

Wish everybody the best of luck for your 2021 MSW applications!!