Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

On 12/7/2020 at 5:16 PM, MSW2020lm said:

Hi everyone! I just finished submitting my app for UofT's 2 year MSW. I feel relieved that it is finally in but starting to stress already about admissions!! How is everyone else feeling about their apps?!!

I'm in the same boat as you, the waiting game is so stressful! Best of luck to you! :)

On 12/7/2020 at 9:27 PM, kmswyay said:

I applied to 3 other schools but judging by all of the forums. I am not really hopeful! And it’s kinda weird for windsor that we wait until May to find out if we get a spot or not! Seems really late. And judging by what I read it’s like about 60-70 acceptances and like 12-20 people on the waitlist. But that data was from years ago 

I heard from someone that the program practices rolling admissions, is there anywhere on the site that it says this? I want to check if it is the same for my program

6 hours ago, angelicpiano said:

I heard from someone that the program practices rolling admissions, is there anywhere on the site that it says this? I want to check if it is the same for my program

I am not too sure what rolling admissions are ? :( 

On 12/7/2020 at 9:31 PM, Anon313 said:

Oh man I’m not hopeful either, it’s weird because my friend is also on the wait list, maybe we’d have better luck applying in the 2 year program since were BSW students idk! Hopefully there’s more time to apply for other schools they’re all coming up soon tho. STRESS

MANIFESt!! Put it out in the air that you will get it and do well, I wish you the very best of luck! Please be sure to update us if you want to, if there’s a change in status! I will be sure to do the same :) 

On 12/12/2020 at 12:03 AM, kmswyay said:

MANIFESt!! Put it out in the air that you will get it and do well, I wish you the very best of luck! Please be sure to update us if you want to, if there’s a change in status! I will be sure to do the same :) 

True Say! With that, I genuinely wish everyone the best of luck! Reading from the commentary of previous years, having colleagues of mine in their MSW/ completed their MSW, and considering the times of this pandemic, it really is anyone's game. I am so sure that everyone on here is more than worthy of being accepted into any school they have applied to regardless of the outcome.

I've honestly personally accepted the possibility of not getting accepted anywhere at this point and have made peace with it. Will come back and chat on here frequently but I think i'm just not going to stress myself out by checking SGS or Carleton Central. Much love and positivity everyone!

Hello Everybody! 

Congrats to all who have recently finished their applications as well as those who are already hearing back.

I am a hopeful 2-year MSW applicant playing the waiting game and am wondering if anyone here has information about admission rates for 2-year programs in Canada. For example, average number of applicants schools receive vs. how many get in. 

Anyways, Good luck everyone :)

On 12/12/2020 at 12:03 AM, kmswyay said:

Thank you?? I’m trying to stay positive and patient as hard as it can be but I truly hope you get in as well! I’ll keep y’all updated

Hi everyone!

This is my second time around applying for my MSW! The first time around I applied to Kings at UWO in 2018 and was rejected. I completed my BA in Communications and my GPA was fairly low B- in my 3rd and 4th year. Since then I have gone back to school, this degree will be in an Indigenous BSW. I am currently in my 4th year and hoping to get into a MSW program for Fall 2021. My current GPA is A- and i'm applying to McMaster and U of Winsdor (Working professionals) and maybe Laurier's Indigenous MSW. I have 5000 hours working for home and community care LHIN and volunteer at a hospice.  I was wondering if anyone knew how competitive these programs were? Best of luck to everyone applying!! Make sure you work hard on those personal statements :)

On 12/11/2020 at 11:16 PM, MSW2020lm said:

you as well!! How are you feeling about your app? 

I'm trying to be super mindful of my thought process! Ideally I'd like to stay positive and hope for the best but I'm also not hanging all of my hopes on it because I know how competitive it is. I know that I put my all into the written statement and I'm confident in my application as a whole, so fingers crossed! How are you feeling about your app? 

12 hours ago, amesyall said:

I'm trying to be super mindful of my thought process! Ideally I'd like to stay positive and hope for the best but I'm also not hanging all of my hopes on it because I know how competitive it is. I know that I put my all into the written statement and I'm confident in my application as a whole, so fingers crossed! How are you feeling about your app? 

Exactly! I feel the same. Hoping for the best. Trying not to keep looking at SGS for updates LOL even though we are months away from decisions. 

Hello, 

Just wondering if anyone has done the one year HBSW at Lakehead or has applied for it for 2021.  I wanted to know how competitive it is to get in and what their acceptance rate is. Also if they have done the personal statement exam how they found the personal statement exam ?

Thank you !

On 12/7/2020 at 6:29 PM, Anon313 said:

Hey everyone! I applied to the Uwindsor advanced standing MSW and just got informed I’m on the waitlist. Does anyone know about the chances of getting in still I’m new to the whole process, and is the two year program less competitive? I’m stressin!!

Hey! I just applied. This is discouraging. What is your experience/grades like? If you don't mind sharing.

On 12/7/2020 at 8:43 PM, kmswyay said:

I am on the waitlist as well ! :( stressing too 

Hey! I just applied. This is discouraging. What is your experience/grades like? If you don't mind sharing.

So I am applying to the two year msw program for non-BSW graduates at the University of Windsor. It says on their website that they require relevant volunteering experience. I have a lot of volunteering, leadership opportunities and one experience I recently started at the centre for sexual violence at my university as a volunteer. I have experience in two student run non-profits, tutoring experiences, an internship at a Chinese news station, president of the Russian Speaking Student Association, Nursing home volunteering from high school. Do you think they will count it as relevant experience? I emailed University of Windsor and they just told me to include whatever I thought was relevant and did not give anymore details. 

So I am applying to the two year msw program for non-BSW graduates at the University of Windsor. It says on their website that they require relevant volunteering experience. I have a lot of volunteering, leadership opportunities and one experience I recently started at the centre for sexual violence at my university as a volunteer. I have experience in two student run non-profits, tutoring experiences, an internship at a Chinese news station, president of the Russian Speaking Student Association, Nursing home volunteering from high school. Do you think they will count it as relevant experience? I emailed University of Windsor and they just told me to include whatever I thought was relevant and did not give anymore details. 

I have approximately 1700 hours total.