Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

Hello!

I was waitlisted last year for the UofT 2 year program and am re-applying this year. Wondering if anyone has any insight into how much I should be changing my written statement? I have another year's worth of new experience now and so am planning on adding that in in bits and pieces..but there are a lot of parts of my old statement that I still would really like to keep. 

Hi everyone! I'm applying to my MSW - Advanced Standing for the third year in a row. The last two years I only applied to UofT (Mental Health and Health stream), and was waitlisted each year. This year, I am planning to apply to UofT, York, and McMaster. 

I'm struggling with my personal statement and wondering if anyone is able to offer any tips or advice at all? I'm also willing to read over each others and provide feedback. It's always nice having a fresh set of eyes take a look at our writing. Send me a message if you are up for this! Thank you! :)

Victoria

Hi French MSW , 

I am in the same boat for applications (except it is my first time around).I actually am working on my personal intent as well and not sure if I am doing well by any means as I am nervous out of my mind. I also don't mind looking over personal intent letters and love that idea.

Best of luck to you ( and everyone)!

On 10/30/2020 at 5:37 PM, ntsgrg said:

Hey! Thank you :) I applied last week of September to first week of October. So I heard back pretty quick! Usually they say it takes 4-6 weeks but in my case just under 4 weeks.

May I ask what was your average when you got accepted and your level of experience? I just want to gage how competitive UWindsor is. 

On 11/26/2020 at 1:08 PM, AlexBeans said:

Hey! For the Laurier applications, does anyone know when your references have to be in by? I know that the entire application is due Dec 1st, but is there a time cut off? I can't find any information about it on the website.

I think they have less than 2 weeks!

Hi Everyone,

I recently got accepted into UWindsor's MSW program for Working Professionals - Peel Regular Track.

I will be creating a group chat on WhatsApp with like-minded individuals and fellow peers. If you are in this program please dm me to connect! 

Good luck to everyone. 

Hey everyone! I applied to the Uwindsor advanced standing MSW and just got informed I’m on the waitlist. Does anyone know about the chances of getting in still I’m new to the whole process, and is the two year program less competitive? I’m stressin!!

2 hours ago, Anon313 said:

Hey everyone! I applied to the Uwindsor advanced standing MSW and just got informed I’m on the waitlist. Does anyone know about the chances of getting in still I’m new to the whole process, and is the two year program less competitive? I’m stressin!!

I am on the waitlist as well ! :( stressing too 

Just now, Anon313 said:

No I didn’t! Which was probably a mistake on my part but I guess I gotta look around now to the ones that aren’t past the deadline. How about you?

I applied to 3 other schools but judging by all of the forums. I am not really hopeful! And it’s kinda weird for windsor that we wait until May to find out if we get a spot or not! Seems really late. And judging by what I read it’s like about 60-70 acceptances and like 12-20 people on the waitlist. But that data was from years ago 

Just now, kmswyay said:

I applied to 3 other schools but judging by all of the forums. I am not really hopeful! And it’s kinda weird for windsor that we wait until May to find out if we get a spot or not! Seems really late. And judging by what I read it’s like about 60-70 acceptances and like 12-20 people on the waitlist. But that data was from years ago 

Oh man I’m not hopeful either, it’s weird because my friend is also on the wait list, maybe we’d have better luck applying in the 2 year program since were BSW students idk! Hopefully there’s more time to apply for other schools they’re all coming up soon tho. STRESS

On 12/7/2020 at 6:29 PM, Anon313 said:

hey! if you don't mind me asking, how did you find out you're on the waitlist? 

also good luck!! :)

On 12/7/2020 at 5:16 PM, MSW2020lm said:

Hi everyone! I just finished submitting my app for UofT's 2 year MSW. I feel relieved that it is finally in but starting to stress already about admissions!! How is everyone else feeling about their apps?!!

I just submitted mine today and i'm freaking out too! So relieving to finish but also I feel like I spoke truthfully from the heart. I also applied to U of T, but Carleton as well

On 12/7/2020 at 5:16 PM, MSW2020lm said:

Hi everyone! I just finished submitting my app for UofT's 2 year MSW. I feel relieved that it is finally in but starting to stress already about admissions!! How is everyone else feeling about their apps?!!

I am also applying for the 2 year program. I am just finishing up my statement. I had so many problems with some references. One of my references was perfect for my application and I could not ask anyone else, but he is still working on the form. For me that was the most stressful part. I am not sure how could my statement of intent is. I had so many other master's applications to fill out, exams assignments, work, volunteering and taking 7 credits. I do not even have time for someone to look at my statement and edit it. I have two big assignments due tomorrow. Good luck! May I ask how much experience you had?

On 12/7/2020 at 9:31 PM, Anon313 said:

Oh man I’m not hopeful either, it’s weird because my friend is also on the wait list, maybe we’d have better luck applying in the 2 year program since were BSW students idk! Hopefully there’s more time to apply for other schools they’re all coming up soon tho. STRESS

On 12/7/2020 at 9:27 PM, kmswyay said:

May I ask when you applied and how long it took you to hear back for UWindsor?

8 hours ago, MelaninandJustice said:

I just submitted mine today and i'm freaking out too! So relieving to finish but also I feel like I spoke truthfully from the heart. I also applied to U of T, but Carleton as well

That's the best thing you can do, speak truthfully! Is this your first time applying? I wish you good luck :)

7 hours ago, angelicpiano said:

I am also applying for the 2 year program. I am just finishing up my statement. I had so many problems with some references. One of my references was perfect for my application and I could not ask anyone else, but he is still working on the form. For me that was the most stressful part. I am not sure how could my statement of intent is. I had so many other master's applications to fill out, exams assignments, work, volunteering and taking 7 credits. I do not even have time for someone to look at my statement and edit it. I have two big assignments due tomorrow. Good luck! May I ask how much experience you had?

I am sorry to hear about your references and work load. It must feel nice now that the app is in! I have over 4 years of frontline experience working with refugee children/youth. In that 4 years, 2 of them working with refugee survivors of severe trauma. I felt good about my statement and references BUT the program is so competitive! I have a B+ in my last year of uni and I am worried about it not being competitive enough. If anyone has any insight into people who have been accepted into UofT's 2 year MSW with a B+ or lower let me know pleeeease. 

Is anyone else going to be applying to Dal's post-degree BSW?? 

Good luck to all as we wait!