Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

On 12/7/2020 at 5:16 PM, MSW2020lm said:

Hi everyone! I just finished submitting my app for UofT's 2 year MSW. I feel relieved that it is finally in but starting to stress already about admissions!! How is everyone else feeling about their apps?!!

Hello!

I have also applied to the UofT's 2 year MSW program.  I can't say how relieved and stressed I am about the admissions process.

4 hours ago, RBMSW said:

Hello!

I have also applied to the UofT's 2 year MSW program.  I can't say how relieved and stressed I am about the admissions process.

Same! I keep checking even though there's still 3 months wait haha Is this your first year applying? 

2 hours ago, MSW2020lm said:

Same! I keep checking even though there's still 3 months wait haha Is this your first year applying? 

Yes first year applying so I am extremely overwhelmed! I am also wondering if I should apply for Winter 2022 at Windsor Uni hahah

Did anyone apply to the University of Western 2-year MSW program or one year? I had a question about the references. 

I had the impression that I could choose references from professional or volunteer sources. The application asks for two professional sources. 

My problem is this. I have one paid work experience. The others are from a non-profit. I worked their as a staff member, but as a volunteer. I was not paid. Does it still count as a professional reference?

2 hours ago, angelicpiano said:

Did anyone apply to the University of Western 2-year MSW program or one year? I had a question about the references. 

I had the impression that I could choose references from professional or volunteer sources. The application asks for two professional sources. 

My problem is this. I have one paid work experience. The others are from a non-profit. I worked their as a staff member, but as a volunteer. I was not paid. Does it still count as a professional reference?

Both of those would count! They just don’t accept academic references, but both volunteer or work are okay!

24 minutes ago, olivolia said:

Both of those would count! They just don’t accept academic references, but both volunteer or work are okay!

So even though it says professional reference, volunteer counts? 

This is what it says in the admissions PDF about Professional Sources. Volunteer sources are under category B. I am not given this option in the form.

Category ? Professional Source (from a professional perspective) – A social worker, 
physician, nurse, psychologist, psychiatrist, chaplain, or similar community based professional 

Edited by angelicpiano

5 minutes ago, angelicpiano said:

So even though it says professional reference, volunteer counts? 

This is what it says in the admissions PDF about Professional Sources. Volunteer sources are under category B. I am not given this option in the form.

Category ? Professional Source (from a professional perspective) – A social worker, 
physician, nurse, psychologist, psychiatrist, chaplain, or similar community based professional 

Volunteering counts as a professional reference because it was a “professional” setting. My old coworker used her volunteer coordinator as a reference and she got into the program :) 

3 hours ago, tea latte 2021 said:

I applied for Laurier’s online part time MSW and still haven’t heard either, waiting game! 

Me too! This is agonizing...I had not been thinking of it until Jan 1 hit.....any idea on when we can expect to hear?

Hey! 

I applied to both Carleton, U of T, York, McGill as well as a few other places for the Advanced Standing MSW. I have a lot of experience in research, policy, plenty of publications, conference experience, and direct practice in both government and non profit. I am feeling very good about my chances.

I'm under the impression we can expect to start hearing back from Carleton in February, York in April, but not so sure about U of T or McGill. Does anyone in this thread, or previous years applicants have a better idea on when we might hear back from each school? If you are a previous applicant, when did you hear back? Do all students receive a response at once, or are there rounds of admission?

Thanks and good luck everyone!

6 hours ago, alysha said:

Fingers crossed Laurier comes through soon!!

I emailed my WLU  enrollment advisor and she said that "... applicants should receive decisions sometime after January 11th. You will be sent an email letting you know a decision had been made regarding your application and instructing you to check your LORIS. Where your application was previously located - a decision will be posted there. Ensure to check your spam/junk mail folder"

10 hours ago, Kelsanne said:

I emailed my WLU  enrollment advisor and she said that "... applicants should receive decisions sometime after January 11th. You will be sent an email letting you know a decision had been made regarding your application and instructing you to check your LORIS. Where your application was previously located - a decision will be posted there. Ensure to check your spam/junk mail folder"

Thanks so much for posting this! 

17 hours ago, Kelsanne said:

Awesome! Thanks for looking into that for all of us! Best of luck everyone :) 

On 1/7/2021 at 6:03 PM, Kelsanne said:

Thanks so much for posting this! My heart is racing just reading that decisions will come out possibly next week! Fingers crossed for everyone.

2 hours ago, MSW2020lm said:

Hi everyone, for the non-bsw UofT 2 year MSW, has anyones application changed to under review yet? Mine still says "documents received". Thanks! 

I applied to that program as well, my application status still remains documents received.