Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

On 9/7/2020 at 3:14 AM, Pigoo said:

Hi everyone,

I’m a BSW student and pursuing to apply for MSW upon graduation!

As I want to focus on studying Children and Families in Social Work, I found U of T and UBC offer field of study for the topic. Does anyone know any other universities that offer Children and Families field in their MSW programs?

Also, from different MSW application forums in the grad cafe, I found UBC seems not quite popular even though they offer BSW, MSW and PhD. Does anyone know why UBC’s Social Work program is not as popular as other universities?

I will very appreciate it if someone could help me out for those questions!

Wish everybody the best of luck for your 2021 MSW applications!!

I have a BSW myself from the prairies & I'm also looking at applying for UofT or UBC (Vancouver not Okanagan) for 2021! Like you I can't seem to find much about UBC on these forums, as most active users seem to be from Ontario.

I found this post about UBC's faculty of social work (albeit from a BSW graduate, so it may not speak to the MSW program), which doesn't seem very optimistic... Hopefully the highlighted issues are mainly for their 2-year MSW program (which has suspended admissions for a few years now) & not for the advanced standing. Have a look:

I believe CASWE provided UBC's MSW program with partial accreditation for 4 years from 2017 to June 30, 2021 to fix some of the issues. The accreditation report should be available online (https://academic.ubc.ca/sites/vpa.ubc.ca/files/documents/Report on External Reviews 2017-18 - final2.pdf) & highlight what areas were lacking in the 2017 review. The good thing is that UBC's MSW will be going thru re-accreditation during the spring of 2021, so hopefully that will provide some peace of mind + highlight what has been done in the past 4 years to improve the MSW program. UBC's MSW tuition is also significantly (40-45%) cheaper than UofT, though there is much less financial support (scholarships, etc.) available. I think this is due to their small faculty size (12-14) & them admitting only about 50 advanced standing students each year. They definitely aren't a huge program when compared with a program like UofT's (I heard they admit up to 250 each year for their 2-year + adv standing). However, in a big city like the Vancouver area, a small program likely means there is less competition for practicums + finding work after graduation. 

Has anyone else heard anything about UBC's MSW program? Good luck on everyone's applications!

Edited by BBQPork

On 8/31/2020 at 12:26 PM, MSWWP111 said:

Hi everyone! 
I received my acceptance for the January 2021 start for Advance Standing MSW at Windsor for working professionals. I was originally waitlisted for the September 2020 start (I figure because of rolling admission I was waitlisted, considering I applied much closer to the deadline). Happy to have heard back and join the program in January! Is there anyone else who is starting in January? Has a Facebook or google hang outs been created yet? 

Want to thank so many awesome folks on this forum who have provided encouragement and useful insight through this process. 

Goodluck to everyone! 

Hi everyone I made a group for the MSWWp for January 2021 (16m) start! 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/809132539831912/?ref=share

Feel free to join or connect ?

15 hours ago, BBQPork said:

I have a BSW myself from the prairies & I'm also looking at applying for UofT or UBC (Vancouver not Okanagan) for 2021! Like you I can't seem to find much about UBC on these forums, as most active users seem to be from Ontario.

I found this post about UBC's faculty of social work (albeit from a BSW graduate, so it may not speak to the MSW program), which doesn't seem very optimistic... Hopefully the highlighted issues are mainly for their 2-year MSW program (which has suspended admissions for a few years now) & not for the advanced standing. Have a look:

I believe CASWE provided UBC's MSW program with partial accreditation for 4 years from 2017 to June 30, 2021 to fix some of the issues. The accreditation report should be available online (https://academic.ubc.ca/sites/vpa.ubc.ca/files/documents/Report on External Reviews 2017-18 - final2.pdf) & highlight what areas were lacking in the 2017 review. The good thing is that UBC's MSW will be going thru re-accreditation during the spring of 2021, so hopefully that will provide some peace of mind + highlight what has been done in the past 4 years to improve the MSW program. UBC's MSW tuition is also significantly (40-45%) cheaper than UofT, though there is much less financial support (scholarships, etc.) available. I think this is due to their small faculty size (12-14) & them admitting only about 50 advanced standing students each year. They definitely aren't a huge program when compared with a program like UofT's (I heard they admit up to 250 each year for their 2-year + adv standing). However, in a big city like the Vancouver area, a small program likely means there is less competition for practicums + finding work after graduation. 

Has anyone else heard anything about UBC's MSW program? Good luck on everyone's applications!

Hi! Thanks so much for your reply and those links too!

Wow.. I’ve never known about the issues that seem like a lot of things happened.. 

Good news that it will be going through re-accreditation! It might have taken quite some time but hope things get settled with the MSW program soon at UBC!

I also found their tuition is much lesser than other universities and it’s such a good thing that they have a small class size! And yea- as UBC is the only school that has a Social Work program in Vancouver, it will be a good advantage to get a job in the Vancouver area!

Thanks again for your information that helped me a lot and wish you luck for your MSW application!??

On 9/7/2020 at 5:14 AM, Pigoo said:

Hi everyone,

I’m a BSW student and pursuing to apply for MSW upon graduation!

As I want to focus on studying Children and Families in Social Work, I found U of T and UBC offer field of study for the topic. Does anyone know any other universities that offer Children and Families field in their MSW programs?

Also, from different MSW application forums in the grad cafe, I found UBC seems not quite popular even though they offer BSW, MSW and PhD. Does anyone know why UBC’s Social Work program is not as popular as other universities?

I will very appreciate it if someone could help me out for those questions!

Wish everybody the best of luck for your 2021 MSW applications!!

You might want to check out Guelph's MSc in Couples and Family. It is a Masters of Science program focusing more on therapy and relationships. Many people apply to focus on couples/marriage counselling, parent and child counselling, and family counselling. Although its not social work, it does qualify you to register either as a marriage therapist or as a psychotherapist in Ontario!

5 hours ago, skittles15 said:

You might want to check out Guelph's MSc in Couples and Family. It is a Masters of Science program focusing more on therapy and relationships. Many people apply to focus on couples/marriage counselling, parent and child counselling, and family counselling. Although its not social work, it does qualify you to register either as a marriage therapist or as a psychotherapist in Ontario!

Ohh that’s totally a new option that I have never known! Thanks for the information! I will look into their website right now:) thanks!!!!??

On 9/10/2020 at 12:45 AM, Pigoo said:

Ohh that’s totally a new option that I have never known! Thanks for the information! I will look into their website right now:) thanks!!!!??

I will chime in with my 0.2c here to say that this program is wildly competitive. I don't know what it looks like now, but I know that in past years they took between 9-12 applicants a year, out of hundreds of applications. Not to scare you or anything, but to set reasonable expectations! The application also has (or had, at one point) multiple rounds of interviews. If I remember correctly, they don't "fill" their applicant spots, but only accept the best fit for the program, hence the small numbers and very competitive nature. Still always worth a shot, though. 

3 hours ago, HopefulandCurious said:

I will chime in with my 0.2c here to say that this program is wildly competitive. I don't know what it looks like now, but I know that in past years they took between 9-12 applicants a year, out of hundreds of applications. Not to scare you or anything, but to set reasonable expectations! The application also has (or had, at one point) multiple rounds of interviews. If I remember correctly, they don't "fill" their applicant spots, but only accept the best fit for the program, hence the small numbers and very competitive nature. Still always worth a shot, though. 

It sounds really competitive!..... I still have time to think what school and program to apply so will take enough time to consider for my future path! Sounds scary but definitely an important point to think about! thanks for letting me know. :)

Hi Lovely people,

I have been reading into the commentary on this amazing forum and wanted to chime in and I am so relieved I am not the only one stressing about these applications. I have been very anxious and have had feelings of inadequacy which has largely impacted my decision in applying in the past. However with personal events that have occured in my life, compounded with COVID, I have decided to apply. I genuinely miss the academic environment and want to get involved again after working in the field for some time.  

I will be applying to Carleton and York at the moment. both 2 years.. I am also leaning towards Wilfred Laurier 2 year MSW as well but I am anxious that I will not get in!

If anyone wants to chat I am completely available and around.

Hi everyone! I have been an avid lurker of this forum for a few years and now it is finally my time to apply!

I am a BSW student in my last year of school and I hold a Social Service Worker diploma. I am looking to apply to University of Toronto, Ryerson University and UBC for the Advanced Standing MSW. My overall GPA (so far) is an A-, an A+ in my qualitative research course and an A in my quanitative research course.

I have three years experience working with individuals with disabilities in both respite and residential services. I have also helped developed the Best Buddies program at my college and was in charge of fundraising, volunteer recruitment, information sessions, marketing and orientations. l have a year experience working with children and youth with behavioural challenges in group homes and a program at school. I also have some volunteer experience with the elderly. 

I am a little anxious if I have enough experience or if it is diverse enough. But my fingers are crossed. I think everyone's experience and education is so impressive, I wish everyone the best this application season! It's my first time applying and I am super nervous about it. Feel free to message me if anyone wants to talk. :)

Edited by SocialWerkIt

On 9/1/2020 at 8:09 AM, jillianjay said:

Hi everyone!

I graduated with my BSW in 2011, and have been on the fence for a few years about chasing my MSW. This is the year! 

My marks aren't stellar (3.4/4), but I have loads of experience (I think?).

I have about 15,000 paid hours since graduating spread between child protection (3 years), addictions (2 years),  emergency management/emergency social services (4 years). 

Prior to graduating, I also spent 3 years providing respite care for a young man with Autism, managing a summer camp for children with Autism for two years, and as a residential counselor for children and youth in care for three years. 

I've also been a volunteer with Red Cross and meals on wheels. 

Feeling a little like I have imposter syndrome to be honest! 

I'm only looking at distance programs, as I own my own home here on the east coast, and I can't pay my mortgage if I'm not working. U Vic doesn't seem like a good fit for me, but I am looking at Waterloo/Renison, Calgary, Memorial, and Laurier. I received my BSW from Memorial, but it's not my first choice. That being said, they weight favorably towards NL residents which increases my odds!

I currently work in emergency management and emergency social services, and my goal is to stay in the field. An MSW will help me in program evaluation and design, and open some doors for professional development. And, it will be a safety net in case I do change fields and return to direct service as an MSW is required for anything non child protection here it seems.

Good luck everyone!

Wow you have incredible experience! Definitely apply :)

I would like to apply to 2021 MSW programs. My BSW is online so I don’t have great relationships with any of my professors. I also had to take a break so some I took classes with 3 to 4  years ago. 

I also have some professors from 5 to 6 years ago that might be able to my reference. Has too much time passed for those ones? 

How do I even request a letter. This is all so nerve racking 

On 9/20/2020 at 12:32 AM, Candylove said:

I would like to apply to 2021 MSW programs. My BSW is online so I don’t have great relationships with any of my professors. I also had to take a break so some I took classes with 3 to 4  years ago. 

I also have some professors from 5 to 6 years ago that might be able to my reference. Has too much time passed for those ones? 

How do I even request a letter. This is all so nerve racking 

Hi there,

I think its best to look at what University you want to get into and see what the reference requirements are. If you've been out of school for 3 years, they say its best to get 3 references from your current employment, volunteer, or internship. If you aren't close to any, you still have a few months to get in touch with them. I think it takes a lot of courage to reach out and be honest with them. Tell them what your focus is and what school you want to get into. Let them know you didn't have time to build that relationship and it would be nice if they could start that new relationship with you. Hopefully they will know your intentions and write you a letter of rec. Keep in mind I'm currently in UofT and it was a check list with quick Q/A questions.. it wasn't even a letter. So make sure to check with the Universities first! 

Hi Everyone! 

I need advice. I have been out of uni since 2014, so 6 years. I have kept touch with a prof. I am having second thoughts about using her as a reference just because of the gap in time since she has really seen my work. I mean she can speak to my research specialization and she is the chair of the program so it is a valuable reference I believe. Just looking for others opinions! I have been working in the field for a few years now so would 3 professional references be better? Any thoughts appreciated :)

On 5/19/2020 at 4:58 PM, MSW2020lm said:

I felt good about it. When I talked to admissions she stated that most people have over 4 years of experience and some like 20 years. I am applying to Jan 2021 start date. Are you advanced standing? 

Is this (4- 20 year experience) referring to the Wilfred Laurier MSW full time online program?

Hey thanks for the reply. 

I assume this the part-time program that people have been referring to? https://online.wlu.ca/master-social-work

It says that it can be completed as fast as 2.67 years! That seems very quick for a part-time program for someone who doesn't have a BSW already...now I see why it's competitive.

I was looking at their in-person program through this link: https://www.wlu.ca/programs/social-work/graduate/social-work-msw/index.html

I want to apply to their MSW two-year program (full-time) since I have an undergrad degree in Psychology and not Social Work. It mentions under the requirements that 'two or more years of experience would be considered an asset'. At this point I have only about a year of work experience, since I only graduated from my program a year ago. Does anyone have experience applying to this program? I am curious if this program has similar acceptance rates as the online one (only accepts students with many years of experience). 

24 minutes ago, MSW2020lm said:

Hey

It was for the Laurier online part-time program. 

Hi Everyone! 

I am a current advanced standing student at U of T, and was accepted after my second time trying. I also applied and was accepted to Dal, York, and Waterloo. I’m sure it seems like you need A+ grades and 20 years of experience, but honestly, I didn’t and I got in. Idk if this is helpful, but: 

I had a 3.0 GPA in my BA (dbl major psych and soc), and then I did a one year SSW diploma (3.9/4.0). Then a post-degree BSW: 3.68/4.33 (B+ not quite A- lol). 
I volunteered and had part time jobs in social services throughout my BSW, and after graduating I worked as a social worker in community mental health for 3 years, while volunteering on a distress hotline. 
In my applications I was sure to tie in how my professional experience and area of interest relates to my own lived experiences of oppression, and how I will use my education in the future.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions! I know it can be stressful but good luck!❤️