Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

9 hours ago, SOCIALWERK2020 said:

Hi Everyone! 

I am a current advanced standing student at U of T, and was accepted after my second time trying. I also applied and was accepted to Dal, York, and Waterloo. I’m sure it seems like you need A+ grades and 20 years of experience, but honestly, I didn’t and I got in. Idk if this is helpful, but: 

I had a 3.0 GPA in my BA (dbl major psych and soc), and then I did a one year SSW diploma (3.9/4.0). Then a post-degree BSW: 3.68/4.33 (B+ not quite A- lol). 
I volunteered and had part time jobs in social services throughout my BSW, and after graduating I worked as a social worker in community mental health for 3 years, while volunteering on a distress hotline. 
In my applications I was sure to tie in how my professional experience and area of interest relates to my own lived experiences of oppression, and how I will use my education in the future.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions! I know it can be stressful but good luck!❤️

I have messaged you :)

Does anyone have any experience with Dal's post-degree BSW? Or is anyone applying to it? 

Hi! Is anyone else who is applying to MSW programs also applying to the OISE MEd in counselling psychology, counselling and psychotherapy field?? I would love to touch base with you!! Feel free to message me directly. 

I am also applying to UofT's 2 year MSW! How is everyone's applications going so far?

Good luck everyone :) 

Hello! I have applied for the WLU online May 2021. I did this rather spur of the moment and did not realize how competitive it is! I am a "mature" applicant....I am concerend about my lack of volunteer hours and my personal statement (where I kind of went a bit rogue about oppression)  ...here is a snap shot of my experience..

- 13 years full time college instructor, advisor and practicum supervisor in community serives

- 1 year contract Consulting (Indigenous curriculum development, workshop facilitation and in community conflict resolution)

- 3 years Provincial Foster Parent Appeal Adjudicator

- 7 years full time case management and family/community work

- Master of  Interdisciplinary Studies (Adult Education) 3.97 GPA 

I have read a few different opinions on how WLU weighs things...any thoughts? Id also like to clarify how many students are accepted in each intake? I think applications for online are way up due to covid....Nervous now!

On 10/7/2020 at 8:19 AM, MSW2020lm said:

Hi! Is anyone else who is applying to MSW programs also applying to the OISE MEd in counselling psychology, counselling and psychotherapy field?? I would love to touch base with you!! Feel free to message me directly. 

I am also applying to UofT's 2 year MSW! How is everyone's applications going so far?

Good luck everyone :) 

Hi I'm applying to both of these programs. I'll message you! :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 10:25 AM, Kelsanne said:

Hello! I have applied for the WLU online May 2021. I did this rather spur of the moment and did not realize how competitive it is! I am a "mature" applicant....I am concerend about my lack of volunteer hours and my personal statement (where I kind of went a bit rogue about oppression)  ...here is a snap shot of my experience..

- 13 years full time college instructor, advisor and practicum supervisor in community serives

- 1 year contract Consulting (Indigenous curriculum development, workshop facilitation and in community conflict resolution)

- 3 years Provincial Foster Parent Appeal Adjudicator

- 7 years full time case management and family/community work

- Master of  Interdisciplinary Studies (Adult Education) 3.97 GPA 

I have read a few different opinions on how WLU weighs things...any thoughts? Id also like to clarify how many students are accepted in each intake? I think applications for online are way up due to covid....Nervous now!

I didn't apply to WLU, but was accepted into 4 other MSW programs. Your experience sounds amazing, and you have a very competitive gpa! As far as volunteer work, I personally did so much before I had much paid social work experience... basically so I could get related experience. So I wouldn't worry too much in your case! (Also it's challenging to do volunteer work now due to covid, unless you're able to find a virtual position). 

I think it's great that you discuss oppression in your personal statement! Best of luck to you! :)

Hey everyone! I just got my acceptance to the WindsorU Peel Advanced Standing MSW for working professionals for Fall 2021. It was my first time applying and I was in the process of applying to other universities as well. But I have chosen to go with Windsor. Is there anyone else that will be attending the Peel program for Fall 2021 or that is applying to the program?

Edited by Katzz

Hi everyone! 

I will be applying to two-year MSW programs for Fall 2021. I am currently in the fourth year of my Bachelor of Applied Science, which is concluding in April 2021. I will be applying to the University of Toronto, the University of Windsor, and Wilfrid Laurier University (on-campus). My undergraduate program is heavily focused on social services, with only three slots for electives over the four years (I chose electives that were related to human services - Canadian Immigration, Lifespan Development, and Social Welfare). 

My GPA is a 3.7 on a 4.0 scale. I finished with a 90% in Qualitative Research Methods and a 95% in Quantitative Research Methods. My degree offers 850+ hours of practicum, all of which I have completed in the area of social services. I have practicum experience in Residential Support for individuals with disabilities, Youth In-Patient Mental Health Treatment, Long-Term Care, and ABA Therapy. I have paid employment experience in IBI Therapy, Residential Support for individuals with disabilities, Student Transitional Support for incoming first-year students, and I am the Academic Program Representative for my program. 

I'm nervous but so excited for this process! Good luck everyone!! 

20 hours ago, Katzz said:

Hey everyone! I just got my acceptance to the WindsorU Peel Advanced Standing MSW for working professionals for Fall 2021. It was my first time applying and I was in the process of applying to other universities as well. But I have chosen to go with Windsor. Is there anyone else that will be attending the Peel program for Fall 2021 or that is applying to the program?

congratulations on getting accepted! I'm just wondering how long did it take to get your acceptance and how did you make your application strong? Thank you! 

8 hours ago, MSW2021RK said:

congratulations on getting accepted! I'm just wondering how long did it take to get your acceptance and how did you make your application strong? Thank you! 

Thank you :) I applied in the beginning of September and my application was fully complete by Sept 30 (i.e. all my references were completed). I got my acceptance 3 weeks after my application was completed.

For my personal statement I really went in and talked about the reasons (i.e. personal details, etc) that led me to social work. I have 2 degrees (one being a bsw) and a diploma. Alongside that I have various certifications and whatnot. Total number of hours (i.e. work, volunteer, etc) was almost 6000. I made sure that my references were strong too. One was from my current workplace, another from a placement and the last one from a volunteer position. I can't really say for sure what made my application strong though.

Edited by Katzz

Hey everyone!

I'm trying to make a decision about whether to apply to UofT social work for fall 2021 straight out of undergrad. I've heard that they look for a lot of experience in the field and I'm not sure if its even worth it to apply.

I have strong grades, a lot of research experience, and am doing a thesis this year in my fourth year. I am currently working part time for the Ontario Association for Mental Health Professionals, have worked on a crisis line, and have quite a few other mental health related experiences.

Anyone have any insight on whether its worth a shot to apply? Thanks!

Hi everyone! I have a question. I’m applying for uoft’s 2 year MSW program and was wondering if anyone knew what kind of referee they value. I know they say we have a choice for the third reference (academic or professional) but I also want to better my chances as much as possible so any advice would be helpful! Thank you!

Has anyone heard back yet about acceptances into Wilfrid Lauriers part-time foundations MSW online program, May 2021 start?? 

I cant remember what the time frame was that we were supposed to hear back...  But It's been 8 weeks since applications closed! 

5 minutes ago, jljljl333 said:

Has anyone heard back yet about acceptances into Wilfrid Lauriers part-time foundations MSW online program, May 2021 start?? 

I cant remember what the time frame was that we were supposed to hear back...  But It's been 8 weeks since applications closed! 

I was a May start and I didn't hear until mid January. 

Hi everyone, I just recently applied to the part-time online MSW (Non BSW Route) at Laurier for September 2021. I have heard the admission process is very competitive and I am wondering if I can gain some insight on just how competitive it really is. I have over 10 years of work experience working as an Early Childhood Educator, approximately 5 years in leadership roles as a childcare supervisor (1 Year), support facilitator working with educators to support children with special needs (1 year), and Professional learning consultant where I work with educators and facilitate presentations on various topics to support children and educators in early learning programs(2.7 years and counting). I am completing my final course of my undergrad (Bachelor of Early Childhood Education Honours at Brock University), In my final course I am completing my undergrad thesis which is looking at burnout in Early Childhood Educators and it's implications on their mental well-being as well as the impact on their relationships with children in their care. I am going with the REB route as I have heard that helps with admissions to masters programs. I was able to get a reference from my Thesis Advisor, My colleague who has her BSW, and my Manager at my current place of work, 2 out of three of my references shared what they said about me and they seem like strong references, but I am second guessing my application as I have been reading others comments that many have not been accepted. I am worried that my professional experience is not enough, have their been any successful applicants with an educational background? I believe my current grade average is 80-85% which I believe Laurier considers as competitive. 

I am also wondering if there are any other non BSW part time Masters programs or post grad BSW programs offered in Canada. I was looking at U of T but it seems that it is only offered full time which I am unable to do as I need my job for income, mortgage payments, etc. I have currently only applied to Laurier as it would meet my need for work/school/life balance but am now thinking it may be worth applying to other options as back up?

I would love to hear peoples thoughts and perspectives.....waiting until May 2021 for an admissions decision will test my patience! Good luck to anyone else applying!!

Edited by MSWAPP2021

On 9/16/2020 at 11:02 AM, HopefulandCurious said:

Congratulations! That's me too, after the third application! 

Hi! Do either you mind sharing some of your experience? Total number of hours? Etc.

7 hours ago, MSWAPP2021 said:

Hi everyone, I just recently applied to the part-time online MSW (Non BSW Route) at Laurier for September 2021. I have heard the admission process is very competitive and I am wondering if I can gain some insight on just how competitive it really is. I have over 10 years of work experience working as an Early Childhood Educator, approximately 5 years in leadership roles as a childcare supervisor (1 Year), support facilitator working with educators to support children with special needs (1 year), and Professional learning consultant where I work with educators and facilitate presentations on various topics to support children and educators in early learning programs(2.7 years and counting). I am completing my final course of my undergrad (Bachelor of Early Childhood Education Honours at Brock University), In my final course I am completing my undergrad thesis which is looking at burnout in Early Childhood Educators and it's implications on their mental well-being as well as the impact on their relationships with children in their care. I am going with the REB route as I have heard that helps with admissions to masters programs. I was able to get a reference from my Thesis Advisor, My colleague who has her BSW, and my Manager at my current place of work, 2 out of three of my references shared what they said about me and they seem like strong references, but I am second guessing my application as I have been reading others comments that many have not been accepted. I am worried that my professional experience is not enough, have their been any successful applicants with an educational background? I believe my current grade average is 80-85% which I believe Laurier considers as competitive. 

I am also wondering if there are any other non BSW part time Masters programs or post grad BSW programs offered in Canada. I was looking at U of T but it seems that it is only offered full time which I am unable to do as I need my job for income, mortgage payments, etc. I have currently only applied to Laurier as it would meet my need for work/school/life balance but am now thinking it may be worth applying to other options as back up?

I would love to hear peoples thoughts and perspectives.....waiting until May 2021 for an admissions decision will test my patience! Good luck to anyone else applying!!

Hey! in terms of post grad BSWs online, Dalhousie has a full-time and part-time online program! I will be applying this year as well as to UofT's 2 year MSW and OISE MEd counselling psychotherapy. I think I am going to give Laurier's 3 year part time online another try again this year as well. Laurier really does value experience so if you have the experience, which it sounds you do, why not try your luck!! Good luck!!

On 10/21/2020 at 1:55 PM, Katzz said:

Congrats! I just got my acceptance to UWindsors Working Professional program for next fall but regular track at the Peel campus. any future classmates here? 

On 10/28/2020 at 7:46 PM, MSW2020lm said:

Hey! in terms of post grad BSWs online, Dalhousie has a full-time and part-time online program! I will be applying this year as well as to UofT's 2 year MSW and OISE MEd counselling psychotherapy. I think I am going to give Laurier's 3 year part time online another try again this year as well. Laurier really does value experience so if you have the experience, which it sounds you do, why not try your luck!! Good luck!!

Hey thanks so much I will look into Dalhousie as an option! Good luck to you as well :) 

3 hours ago, ntsgrg said:

Congrats! I just got my acceptance to UWindsors Working Professional program for next fall but regular track at the Peel campus. any future classmates here? 

Congratulations on getting accepted! I am planning to apply for the MSWwp Regular Track Peel location soon. I am wondering when did you apply and how long did it take you to get accepted. Thanks! 

On 9/11/2020 at 3:13 PM, canmsw2021 said:

Hi everyone! This will be my first time applying and I'm stressing out haha.

Does anyone have any tips for the written statements? Every time I look at the questions I get so overwhelmed because I don't know the "right" things to say.

I feel where you're coming from completely. This process is extremely stressful for me as well! There is this overwhelming feeling that people will be evaluating what you write and your experiences. Ahh!  I just finished my application tonight to Carleton and I'm spinning.