higaisha

Update USC:

The GRE is no longer required for all areas.  Please see breakdown:

Brain and Cognitive Science: Not Required
               Clinical Science: Not Required
               Developmental Psychology: Not Required
               Quantitative Methods and Computational Psychology: Optional
               Social Psychology: Not Required

Does already having a MA in psychology look better than low GRE scores? Just wondering, I never had to take the GRE and I graduated with a BA and MA due to my GPA and work with professors. I have a 3.9 GPA overall. I'm not being pessimistic but I know my scores won't be competitive enough. Any thoughts?? 

On 8/1/2020 at 7:08 PM, psychcoffeegal said:

Does already having a MA in psychology look better than low GRE scores? Just wondering, I never had to take the GRE and I graduated with a BA and MA due to my GPA and work with professors. I have a 3.9 GPA overall. I'm not being pessimistic but I know my scores won't be competitive enough. Any thoughts?? 

Is your 3.9 for your BA or MA? Because 3.9 undergrad GPA can put you in the top 20 programs across the types of psychology for sure! 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had any issues with taking the GRE at home? I did mine today and had so many problems with the proctorU system from beginning to end and it added an additional 2 hours to my test time. I ended up getting the same scores as I got last time, even after 5+ months of intense studying. I'm wondering if anyone got offered a refund/voucher to retake the test again?

4 hours ago, PsychApplicant96 said:

Does anyone know the status of the GRE for the University of Denver (PhD & PsyD programs)? Website still says the GRE is required, but nearby institutions have waived this requirement so I'm wondering if Denver will follow. 

I haven't heard or seen anything. It doesn't look like their admissions information has been update for this year, though. 

If a programs webpage says, "WE WILL NOT BE REQUIRING THE GRE FOR THOSE APPLYING FOR ADMISSION FOR FALL 2021." Does this mean they won't be accepting GRE scores from any applicants to level the playing field, or that it's okay to not have GRE scores, but applicants that do send in scores now have an added bonus for their application? 

I ask because I took the GRE a few years ago and my scores weren't awful (except for quant) but I know I could perform much better, so I would want to take retake the exam. However, most of the programs on my list have waived the GRE requirement so now I am torn on what to do? The GRE is a big investment financially and time-wise so I would love others opinions. Thanks!

2 hours ago, PsychApplicant96 said:

If a programs webpage says, "WE WILL NOT BE REQUIRING THE GRE FOR THOSE APPLYING FOR ADMISSION FOR FALL 2021." Does this mean they won't be accepting GRE scores from any applicants to level the playing field, or that it's okay to not have GRE scores, but applicants that do send in scores now have an added bonus for their application? 

I ask because I took the GRE a few years ago and my scores weren't awful (except for quant) but I know I could perform much better, so I would want to take retake the exam. However, most of the programs on my list have waived the GRE requirement so now I am torn on what to do? The GRE is a big investment financially and time-wise so I would love others opinions. Thanks!

You might want to ask for clarification because that wording could be interpreted either way in my opinion. 

It seems like there is fairly equal division on whether or not to submit. I would hope that because they are making it optional, they wouldn't give an unfair advantage to applicants that do submit scores. However it could be used to differentiate between two equally qualified applicants? It's so hard to say how it will play out. 

3 hours ago, PsychApplicant96 said:

I would interpret this as meaning it is optional. If they were not accepting it at all, I would assume they would use language such as "the GRE will not be accepted" rather than "not be required." However, as @justacigar said above, there's really no way nf knowing how admissions committees at schools where it is optional will use them to make any sort of decisions. Even during regular application seasons, it's never 100% clear which programs/committees/PIs put a lot of stock in GRE scores over other aspects of applications. This year is going to be a whole new can of worms. 

On 8/24/2020 at 8:14 AM, MaybeTheFutureDrKHopefully said:

Looks like all GRE subject tests are cancelled for 2020 by the ETS. 

Wow... I understand why they're doing it, but I'm just starting to work through the implications to my application. And lament all the studying I did over the past few months.

For those of us who are considering skipping the whole Proctor-U experience (or who are too financially constrained to access a private room for the duration of the exam, plus suitable technical resources like strong wifi and the right computer for the Proctor-U software) for this year's application cycle: I wonder how much that might disadvantage us from getting access to scholarship money if we do get admitted into a program but don't have GRE scores to send for those applications.  I have no idea how much GRE scores factor into applications for scholarships, or whether those granting committees are going to adopt a GRE-blind policy for students who applied through the 2020-2021 admission cycle, but I could see that situation causing an amplification of financial disadvantage for certain students.

Edited by autopoiesis

On 8/24/2020 at 11:14 AM, MaybeTheFutureDrKHopefully said:

Looks like all GRE subject tests are cancelled for 2020 by the ETS. 

So does that mean all the universities that required the subject test now won't require them? It won't affect our applications?

36 minutes ago, CoffeeErryday said:

So does that mean all the universities that required the subject test now won't require them? It won't affect our applications?

Not necessarily. ETS explicitly advises you to email your programs of choice and inform them ETS's decision to cancel subject tests. Then inquire whether subject test is still required. 

Just FYI, I am also on SDN, and a DCT of a program posted this about the GRE in a thread:

"I thought I would come back and re-post here because it is amazing what can change in a week. We found out that since we have made our GRE optional our graduate school won't forward any GRE scores regardless of whether or not you send them. It sounds like this has become the default choice for a lot of schools over the last week. Thus, there may be no incentive for sending GRE scores at all now. Just thought I would pass that along."

14 hours ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Just FYI, I am also on SDN, and a DCT of a program posted this about the GRE in a thread:

"I thought I would come back and re-post here because it is amazing what can change in a week. We found out that since we have made our GRE optional our graduate school won't forward any GRE scores regardless of whether or not you send them. It sounds like this has become the default choice for a lot of schools over the last week. Thus, there may be no incentive for sending GRE scores at all now. Just thought I would pass that along."

Yes! I am really happy to hear that. I think not accepting scores at all is the only way to keep this year equitable.

On 9/10/2020 at 7:12 PM, PsyDuck90 said:

I wish programs would be more clear about this on their websites. Some of them are, but when I see "optional" I assume it's okay to send them and not just a waste of money that has no impact. The intention is good here, but i'm not sure about the impact.

32 minutes ago, psych_applicant123 said:

For programs not accepting GREs, do you all think that if I slip my scores into my SOP (in a footnote), the response will be an eye-roll? I ask because my scores would give me an advantage. Also, the test was not cheap, so it's a bit frustrating not to at least be given the option to submit! 

Thanks!

Yeah, I don't think that would be wise. If schools say that they're GRE-blind, they don't want your scores to influence their decision at all. However, most schools who are waiving them are giving students the option to send them or not - check the program websites to see if they are GRE-blind, or GRE optional. 

14 hours ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

Yeah, I don't think that would be wise. If schools say that they're GRE-blind, they don't want your scores to influence their decision at all. However, most schools who are waiving them are giving students the option to send them or not - check the program websites to see if they are GRE-blind, or GRE optional. 

I second this - would look like you don't know how to follow directions. I think if they want to be GRE blind, they'll be frustrated that you tried to give yourself an advantage.