GRExit Thread

higaisha

5 hours ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

"In order to truly eliminate the use of GRE scores, the program is not allowing any applicants to submit GRE scores with their admissions materials."

DePaul University is doing it right!!

Yes! This is exactly the way to do it. I really hope more schools follow suit...mostly so I can save some $$$ haha 

I'm a little shocked. I really planned on avoiding phd programs this year, retakng the GRE because my scores suck, and only applying to masters. And now it looks like some of the programs I applied to............have waived the gre completely...........my Achilles heel.......is this fate 

That being said, can anyone find out if the university of florida behavior analysis program is waiving the GRE? I can't figure it out based off what their website says. https://admissions.ufl.edu/apply/graduate/ 

I even emailed the psych dept chair to see if she could answer my question or point me in the direction of someone that could ?

Edited by Schy

1 hour ago, Schy said:

I'm a little shocked. I really planned on avoiding phd programs this year, retakng the GRE because my scores suck, and only applying to masters. And now it looks like some of the programs I applied to............have waived the gre completely...........my Achilles heel.......is this fate 

That being said, can anyone find out if the university of florida behavior analysis program is waiving the GRE? I can't figure it out based off what their website says. https://admissions.ufl.edu/apply/graduate/ 

I even emailed the psych dept chair to see if she could answer my question or point me in the direction of someone that could ?

If you go to this page: https://psych.ufl.edu/graduate/prospective-grads/admissions/ they list the GRE as one of the admissions requirements. It doesn't look like they have waived the requirement yet. 

38 minutes ago, justacigar said:

If you go to this page: https://psych.ufl.edu/graduate/prospective-grads/admissions/ they list the GRE as one of the admissions requirements. It doesn't look like they have waived the requirement yet. 

I shall continue studying and crying, thank you!!!

21 hours ago, EileanDonan said:

Now I can spend less money on my inevitably-rejected application. ?

So excited to get my app thrown in the trash!

lot of reputable clinical programs just made the decision to not require the GRE recently.... UNC Chapel Hill, Stony Brook, UPenn, Harvard, etc. I'm hoping this gives the other schools the push to do the same!!

14 hours ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

lot of reputable clinical programs just made the decision to not require the GRE recently.... UNC Chapel Hill, Stony Brook, UPenn, Harvard, etc. I'm hoping this gives the other schools the push to do the same!!

Taking its a matter of time now 'till everyone jumps ship...I think that I will not end up re-writing now, and focus on research instead.

23 minutes ago, expensiveswimmer said:

So... do I retake the GRE or do I just not submit my scores? What is the best strategy? What's everyone thinking?

I would take it. If your scores aren't great, don't submit. But if there's a chance you won't get accepted anywhere this cycle, you might need your scores for the next cycle, as some schools are only waiving the GRE for this year. 

On 7/12/2020 at 6:57 PM, PsychApplicant2 said:

According to twitter, sounds like Stony Brook is not accepting scores at all. So they are going GRE blind. 

1 hour ago, expensiveswimmer said:

So... do I retake the GRE or do I just not submit my scores? What is the best strategy? What's everyone thinking?

Honestly, as long as schools are still accepting scores but waiving the requirement, I would think very carefully about not taking/not submitting scores. Still a high likelihood they will be used in interview/admissions decisions 

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, philoquant said:

One of my schools says they've "waived the GRE requirement." Is this one of those scenarios where I should submit anyway or does this mean it's not being considered?

I think if they weren't considering the scores at all, it would explicitly say that they weren't accepting or weren't considering GRE scores. 

University of British Columbia (UBC)

All psych programs:

"For the 2020-2021 Admissions cycle, if you are unable to take the GRE for COVID related reasons, we will accept your application without GRE scores. If you are able to complete the GRE, please request submission of your score report (please see below for institution and department codes).

Please note that we will take into accounts the significant disruptions caused by COVID-19 and students will not be penalized for receiving pass/fail grades during this period. Please refer to the Program Requirements section for information on admissions requirements and GPA calculations."

Source: https://psych.ubc.ca/graduate/admissions/

2 hours ago, Mickey26 said:

University of British Columbia (UBC)

All psych programs:

"For the 2020-2021 Admissions cycle, if you are unable to take the GRE for COVID related reasons, we will accept your application without GRE scores. If you are able to complete the GRE, please request submission of your score report (please see below for institution and department codes).

Please note that we will take into accounts the significant disruptions caused by COVID-19 and students will not be penalized for receiving pass/fail grades during this period. Please refer to the Program Requirements section for information on admissions requirements and GPA calculations."

Source: https://psych.ubc.ca/graduate/admissions/

Waterloo as well! I just saw on their website: "*NEW* GRE scores are NOT required for 2020 December applicants"

17 minutes ago, psychcoffeegal said:

Is anyone else doing HORRIBLE at GRE practice tests?? I'm going to take the GRE in a month and I'm still scoring super low. Anyone else feeling super bummed out?? 

I feel you. I have been revising pretty much 6 days a week since April and this is my second attempt at it. I'm finding that my scores in V and Q have improved by around 4-5 points however I am still getting around 156-158 and I don't feel this is competitive enough for the programs I am applying to. It is such a pain because I am revising 6-8 hours a day and don't have the "mental space" to write research papers on top of this so I feel like I am wasting time on it. I also read on Reddit that Q has gotten harder :( I'm going to take the at home test next week but I'm super nervous. I really hope this year is the end of GRE it is such a pointless test apart from improving vocab

1 hour ago, psychapplicant21 said:

I feel you. I have been revising pretty much 6 days a week since April and this is my second attempt at it. I'm finding that my scores in V and Q have improved by around 4-5 points however I am still getting around 156-158 and I don't feel this is competitive enough for the programs I am applying to. It is such a pain because I am revising 6-8 hours a day and don't have the "mental space" to write research papers on top of this so I feel like I am wasting time on it. I also read on Reddit that Q has gotten harder :( I'm going to take the at home test next week but I'm super nervous. I really hope this year is the end of GRE it is such a pointless test apart from improving vocab

TONS of schools are waiving the GRE this cycle. I’m not even going to submit my scores. Try not to be too nervous about it, because I’ve seen programs accept students that score on the lower side. It’s all about fit, personal statement, and research experience. Good luck though ♥️

Edited by PsychApplicant2

2 hours ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

TONS of schools are waiving the GRE this cycle. I’m not even going to submit my scores. Try not to be too nervous about it, because I’ve seen programs accept students that score on the lower side. It’s all about fit, personal statement, and research experience. Good luck though ♥️

Thanks so much for your kind words, much appreciated! :)

2 hours ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

This made me feel so much better!!!