Counselling Psychology Applicants 2021 CANADA

psychstudent3

3 hours ago, psychmaybe said:

FYI, I heard word from the administrator that UBC received over 200 applications this year and only offered 20 places in total due to retiring staff, with this trend (of less places than in previous years) being anticipated to continue. With them also adhering to the policy of 50% of attendees being those with education qualifications, you're looking at maybe 10 places for those who aren't also teachers. Offers have already gone out and they are waiting on the responses to those for waitlisting/rejections. 

Ah jeez, that really sucks that they're offering less places :( I wonder if the larger pool of applicants will continue in the future or if it's just particularly big this year because of COVID

On 3/18/2021 at 12:36 AM, psychbee said:

Hi! I saw a few people posting McGill results in the results page. Has anyone heard from internship stream or just project stream? Thanks in advance ☺️

I think those are all project stream. I also applied for the internship stream and still no updates

On 3/16/2021 at 10:26 AM, april21 said:

Have not heard anything! I would have thought they would have reached out for interviews by now. 

I saw someone posted on the results that they have received a interview invitation from SFU. I checked my mailbox today and did not get it. I assumed I may be rejected then since its already friday..

57 minutes ago, F_J said:

I saw someone posted on the results that they have received a interview invitation from SFU. I checked my mailbox today and did not get it. I assumed I may be rejected then since its already friday..

Dang. Same here. I'm trying not to beat myself over this. 

1 hour ago, RS4321 said:

Hi everyone, I was shortlisted to SFU's program and curious if anyone knows what the 45 min interview involves?

Hi, so was I! Congratulations. 

I'm honestly not sure. They are saying it is an interview in groups of 3-4 applicants, which is kind of scary... I'm not sure what that will entail. I figure I will just do my best to prepare for typical interview questions, and be able to present something concise about my research topic. 

8 hours ago, RS4321 said:

Hi everyone, I was shortlisted to SFU's program and curious if anyone knows what the 45 min interview involves?

I remember when I attended their info session, they mentioned about a mock counselling session. 

Hello everyone,

I just discovered this forum today! What a relief in a way... phew! I was going crazy not knowing a thing.

I have applied to UBC, UVic & SFU. No reply yet. I haven't seen that many UVic folks on this thread but feel free to connect with me!

This is such an overwhelming experience for all of us. I am happy for those who have received an offer. My heart goes out to everyone who is waiting & feeling anxious about this process. Take care of yourself and I am glad I found this forum!! 

10 hours ago, F_J said:

I remember when I attended their info session, they mentioned about a mock counselling session. 

My understanding is that the mock counselling session is a video you send separately from the group interview. 

On 3/19/2021 at 10:06 PM, Jamie1 said:

Does anyone have any information about UNBC? I applied to their MEd program but haven't heard back yet.

I applied to that program as well! I haven’t heard anything yet, and I haven’t seen many people talking about it on the forum. 

I also applied to the program last year, and didn’t receive my rejection letter until April 14th (despite them mentioning March 15th as a response date on their website). So we might not hear back for awhile yet! 

11 minutes ago, MegArmstrong said:

I applied to that program as well! I haven’t heard anything yet, and I haven’t seen many people talking about it on the forum. 

I also applied to the program last year, and didn’t receive my rejection letter until April 14th (despite them mentioning March 15th as a response date on their website). So we might not hear back for awhile yet! 

Wow, I suppose Covid really delayed the selection process last year (and possibly this year as well). 

Just curious, did they tell you why you were not accepted last year and was there a wait list?

30 minutes ago, Jamie1 said:

Wow, I suppose Covid really delayed the selection process last year (and possibly this year as well). 

Just curious, did they tell you why you were not accepted last year and was there a wait list?

Yes, here’s hoping we hear earlier than that this year! 

This is the letter they emailed me (it’s dated April 9 but they didn’t send it until the 14th). So it was a little frustrating that they didn’t actually tell me why, but it seems like most schools give the generic response. I’m assuming that I didn’t get in as they prefer candidates to be two years out of their Bachelors and I was a more recent graduate than that. 

As for the waitlist, they didn’t mention anything about it to me, and my friend that applied last year (also rejected) didn’t hear anything about it either.  

4DCC7C00-8116-4036-A522-816501E37440.jpeg

35 minutes ago, MegArmstrong said:

Yes, here’s hoping we hear earlier than that this year! 

This is the letter they emailed me (it’s dated April 9 but they didn’t send it until the 14th). So it was a little frustrating that they didn’t actually tell me why, but it seems like most schools give the generic response. I’m assuming that I didn’t get in as they prefer candidates to be two years out of their Bachelors and I was a more recent graduate than that. 

As for the waitlist, they didn’t mention anything about it to me, and my friend that applied last year (also rejected) didn’t hear anything about it either.  

4DCC7C00-8116-4036-A522-816501E37440.jpeg

Yeah they state that they prefer candidates to have finished their degree two years prior to the admission date, so maybe you'll have better luck this year :)

Thanks for your insight either way, I hope things work out for you this time around!

1 hour ago, Jamie1 said:

Yeah they state that they prefer candidates to have finished their degree two years prior to the admission date, so maybe you'll have better luck this year :)

Thanks for your insight either way, I hope things work out for you this time around!

Thank you, you too!! ?

On 1/29/2021 at 12:23 PM, Jade99 said:

Hi everyone

Lurking to see if anyone here is doing the online MC format for working professionals. Hoping those that are will see this and respond! :)

I was wondering if anyone has heard from U of L (MC or MEd, as they are on/near the same timeline)? I had an interview Jan 12 and nothing.

Also anyone applying to Athabasca?

Cheers!

I applied to Athabasca! The one and only program I applied to due to adult life constraints so fingers crossed ? Did you?

Hi everyone! I just came across this site and have been browsing this forum in preparation for my clinical psyc applications - I'm currently in 4th year at Queen's and taking a year off before applying. I have a few questions if anyone is able to help me!

1. How do you go about asking potential referees for academic references that will be needed not for fall 2021, but for fall 2022? What if they forget or do not want to promise a reference for so long from now?

2. What is the acceptance rate like for the clinical psyc programs at UofT, Ryerson, and York? 

1 hour ago, psyc1818 said:

Hi everyone! I just came across this site and have been browsing this forum in preparation for my clinical psyc applications - I'm currently in 4th year at Queen's and taking a year off before applying. I have a few questions if anyone is able to help me!

1. How do you go about asking potential referees for academic references that will be needed not for fall 2021, but for fall 2022? What if they forget or do not want to promise a reference for so long from now?

2. What is the acceptance rate like for the clinical psyc programs at UofT, Ryerson, and York? 

For your first question, it is not uncommon for professors to be asked to be a reference 1+ years after a student has graduated. You would reach out and remind them who you are, what classes you took with them, grades, etc. as well as provide your CV and transcript. 

Secondly, I would recommend directing clinical questions here: 2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA - Psychology Forum - The GradCafe Forums - The acceptance rates are very competitive for most clinical programs (around < 5%) 

Edited by Edge98
Spelling

6 minutes ago, Edge98 said:

For your first question, it is not uncommon for professors to be asked to be a reference 1+ years after a student has graduated. You would reach out and remind them who you are, what classes you took with them, grades, etc. as well as provide your CV and transcript. 

Secondly, I would recommend directing clinical questions here: 2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA - Psychology Forum - The GradCafe Forums - The acceptance rates are very competitive for most clinical programs (around < 5%) 

Thanks so much! Do you think I should ask them sometime soon before the semester is over (so I'm still fresh in their mind, haha) and then once more closer to the next cycle? 

11 hours ago, psyc1818 said:

Thanks so much! Do you think I should ask them sometime soon before the semester is over (so I'm still fresh in their mind, haha) and then once more closer to the next cycle? 

You could reach out and indicate you are planning to apply for programs in fall 2022 and ask them to be a reference (and state you'll reach out again closer to the application deadline next year). I don't see how this could hurt!