teasel Posted February 21, 2021 Author Posted February 21, 2021 On 2/19/2021 at 7:29 PM, Boomer not Ok said: That's great news and a wonderful accomplishment. The fact that your work went through a multiple vetting process (from initial reader to editor approval) and you are receiving payment means a lot. Well done. This is so incredibly kind of you to say--thank you so much. Like many of us I've been dealing with a lot of self doubt, basically questioning every decision I've made leading up to this point haha. Your words really cheered me up : ) woweezowee, Greithe, Boomer not Ok and 2 others 5
teasel Posted February 21, 2021 Author Posted February 21, 2021 I received a very kind email yesterday letting me know that I'm near the top of the waitlist for UW Madison! Keeping my fingers crossed that it will change to an offer as April 15th approaches. Apparently they received hundreds of poetry apps this year for just 6 spots. Also hoping this means that I might be hearing good news from other programs in the future? Who knows?! 0a/2w/3r/7p Also wanted to share my condolences for Vandy applicants--was also rejected and it was a tough one for sure. It wasn't surprising, but the idea of Nashville had grown on me somewhat :') Really messed up--what's going on at OSU, I mean. I heard that someone had already declined an offer from another school before they came out with the news. Really hope this doesn't happen to other programs... I know things are tough, but I feel like they could have been waaaayy more transparent. fishfish24, arden, sunglikeice and 6 others 8 1
JPReinhold Posted February 21, 2021 Posted February 21, 2021 5 minutes ago, teasel said: Really messed up--what's going on at OSU, I mean. I heard that someone had already declined an offer from another school before they came out with the news. Really hope this doesn't happen to other programs... I know things are tough, but I feel like they could have been waaaayy more transparent. I got some advice from an English PhD to hold onto the offers until April 15 because people may change funding. I'd much rather decline all offers other than my front-runner as my options change to make the process easier / less-anxiety filled for other applicants and the programs, but it appears we shouldn't do that this cycle. A lot of apprehension this year and I think that will lead to a mass shuffle on April 15. It ain't over 'til it's over, people. teasel, largeheartedboy and CanadianKate 1 2
teasel Posted February 21, 2021 Author Posted February 21, 2021 3 minutes ago, JPReinhold said: I got some advice from an English PhD to hold onto the offers until April 15 because people may change funding. I'd much rather decline all offers other than my front-runner as my options change to make the process easier / less-anxiety filled for other applicants and the programs, but it appears we shouldn't do that this cycle. A lot of apprehension this year and I think that will lead to a mass shuffle on April 15. It ain't over 'til it's over, people. Definitely some solid advice--the email I received was from Amaud Jamaul Johnson, and he mentioned that normally they get back to people at the top of the waitlist much sooner than April 15th, but I think it's reasonable to assume that this year may differ! Still waiting on Michener, UVA, UW, Cornell, Brown, IWW, and Michigan!! Wondering if we'll be hearing from a number of programs this next week... CanadianKate 1
JPReinhold Posted February 21, 2021 Posted February 21, 2021 17 minutes ago, teasel said: Definitely some solid advice--the email I received was from Amaud Jamaul Johnson, and he mentioned that normally they get back to people at the top of the waitlist much sooner than April 15th, but I think it's reasonable to assume that this year may differ! Still waiting on Michener, UVA, UW, Cornell, Brown, IWW, and Michigan!! Wondering if we'll be hearing from a number of programs this next week... Cornell’s page still reads that they will notify by the end of February - so let’s hope that’s the case! panglosian, teasel, woweezowee and 1 other 4
M-Lin Posted February 21, 2021 Posted February 21, 2021 For people who applied to partially-funded programs like I did, I got some advice regarding funding from the program director of Sarah Lawrence. She said one should always negotiate funding if it's a school one really wanted to go, because as accepted students decline offers, funding frees up and gets reallocated. I'm sure many of you already know this but thought I'd mention just in case! It seems like even well-funded programs are getting screwed this year. Bracing for the coming week! dreamx, Greithe, largeheartedboy and 3 others 5 1
Boomer not Ok Posted February 22, 2021 Posted February 22, 2021 No need for thanks, but thanks...I just think it's important to know you shouldn't be doubting yourself. While this is my first shot at applying for MFAs, I know from experience, having work published in paying pubs, BUT also so much of the same work rejected from as "good" or "higher tier" venues, there's no science to this. It's largely IMO whether what you write connects with the readers/editors, and you cannot 'control' for that. To some extent obviously the same principle applies with MFA apps, although there are other variables involved. (Of course, if your work is at the level where Granta or The New Yorker is hounding you, then this doesn't apply, but then maybe you should be teaching in an MFA, not applying for one. IMHO.)
Ydrl Posted February 22, 2021 Posted February 22, 2021 Round two of submitting to magazines. Submitted to two magazines: Colorado Review and Boulevard Magazine. Let’s see what happens. sylviaplate, TroyMcClure, Boomer not Ok and 2 others 2 3
Jjayy Posted February 22, 2021 Posted February 22, 2021 (edited) Someone received a call for CNF at Iowa according to the GradCafe's results page. Edited February 22, 2021 by Jjayy typo / nervous typing CanadianKate 1
Jjayy Posted February 22, 2021 Posted February 22, 2021 (edited) 1 hour ago, Jjayy said: Someone received a call for CNF at Iowa according to the GradCafe's results page. Confirmed by a post in Drafts. Edited February 22, 2021 by Jjayy
CanadianKate Posted February 22, 2021 Posted February 22, 2021 5 minutes ago, Jjayy said: Confirmed by a post in Drafts. Oh hello there Iowa.
Ydrl Posted February 22, 2021 Posted February 22, 2021 9 minutes ago, CanadianKate said: Oh hello there Iowa. It has begun. eternalwhitenights and CanadianKate 1 1
CanadianKate Posted February 22, 2021 Posted February 22, 2021 Just now, Ydrl said: It has begun. I feel giddy. Nauseated. Excited. Horrified.
eternalwhitenights Posted February 22, 2021 Posted February 22, 2021 Fyi it's University of Iowa, CNF track, NWP (I'm assuming that means New Writers Program?). Not sure what everyone applied to, or if this applies to any fiction applicants here on our forum, but wanted to let y'all know! P.S. BREATHE. You are a great writer regardless if you get into Iowa. aheather and CanadianKate 2
JPReinhold Posted February 22, 2021 Posted February 22, 2021 3 minutes ago, eternalwhitenights said: Fyi it's University of Iowa, CNF track, NWP (I'm assuming that means New Writers Program?). Not sure what everyone applied to, or if this applies to any fiction applicants here on our forum, but wanted to let y'all know! P.S. BREATHE. You are a great writer regardless if you get into Iowa. Yes - the CNF program is entirely separate. No one mentally collapse just yet... CanadianKate 1
mrvisser Posted February 22, 2021 Posted February 22, 2021 Looking back at years past, there seems to be no correlation in timing between CNF and fiction/poetry at Iowa. We probably still have a few weeks to wait. JPReinhold 1
dumblond Posted February 22, 2021 Posted February 22, 2021 FYI nonfiction applicants: a recent grad of Iowa's NWP said they're only accepting 8 people this year, as opposed to their usual 10-11
bettedavisthighs Posted February 22, 2021 Posted February 22, 2021 1 hour ago, JPReinhold said: Yes - the CNF program is entirely separate. No one mentally collapse just yet... no one.....except those of us applying to the nonfiction writing program lol CayceCamus, aheather, Yesgirlstoo and 3 others 5 1
JPReinhold Posted February 22, 2021 Posted February 22, 2021 30 minutes ago, bettedavisthighs said: no one.....except those of us applying to the nonfiction writing program lol Oh. Yes. You may now panic. fishfish24 1
rcsteel Posted February 22, 2021 Posted February 22, 2021 Did any of you apply to Hollins University? I haven’t seen anything about them on this board. bettedavisthighs and chrisclements 2
Ydrl Posted February 22, 2021 Posted February 22, 2021 12 hours ago, CanadianKate said: I feel giddy. Nauseated. Excited. Horrified. Iowa gives me anxiety. I didn’t even apply but I’m nervous for all of you. CanadianKate 1
KZK Posted February 22, 2021 Posted February 22, 2021 9 hours ago, rcsteel said: Did any of you apply to Hollins University? I haven’t seen anything about them on this board. I did! I think they usually respond in early to mid March. I also applied to Montana and the nonfiction program at Iowa so with acceptances (and likely rejections) coming out now, it looks like the next two weeks will be real nail-biters. In other news, I was emailed on Friday regarding to a TA interview at one of my schools. I have a few years of teaching experience so I feel relatively confident on that front, but any additional thoughts or tips? Graceful Entropy and rcsteel 2
spacedumpster Posted February 22, 2021 Posted February 22, 2021 You guys, gals, and nonbinary pals! I had a story accepted to a magazine and they're going to pay me for it! I get to work with an editor on revisions! It's a real thing! Someone values my work! ? This was a much needed boost to my self-esteem with all the uncertainty surrounding MFA apps. Anyway, I just want to let you all know that YOU. CAN. DO. THIS. No matter what happens this MFA cycle, please keep writing, and please keep submitting. Your work matters to someone. Ydrl, Salaam O, FairleyAlfy and 15 others 18
Starbuck420 Posted February 22, 2021 Posted February 22, 2021 33 minutes ago, KZK said: In other news, I was emailed on Friday regarding to a TA interview at one of my schools. I have a few years of teaching experience so I feel relatively confident on that front, but any additional thoughts or tips? woohoo, congrats! I have never administered one of these interviews so can't speak to that, but I have experienced 2 (over separate app cycles) as an applicant, and it's maybe worth noting that the 1 that I failed was the one in which I had not yet accrued any teaching experience, lol. So, it's just speculation, but my impression is that teaching experience matters quite a bit here, which means (imo) that you might want to talk that up But, again, I can't actually speak to their secret evaluation criteria, so maybe just disregard this completely. I also imagine it depends varies a bit based on the institution KZK 1
feralgrad Posted February 22, 2021 Posted February 22, 2021 55 minutes ago, KZK said: In other news, I was emailed on Friday regarding to a TA interview at one of my schools. I have a few years of teaching experience so I feel relatively confident on that front, but any additional thoughts or tips? I made it through one of these interviews with almost no teaching experience, so you're already ahead of me! But I have some tips based on my experience: Do your research about the TA program ahead of time (e.g. which classes you'll be teaching, course load, training). Make sure you're not asking for any information that's easily available on the website. Write down at least 3 questions ahead of time -- my interviewers complimented me on my thoughtful questions, and I suspect that this helped me ace the interview despite my background Be sure to mention if you have experience with ESL students, as this is becoming increasingly valuable in the classroom Maybe all that's obvious, but I figured I'd still offer my two cents. Good luck!! dreamx, KZK, Greithe and 1 other 3 1
Recommended Posts