3 hours ago, Speechies22 said:

Hi everyone, 

for those applying to both UofT and Western, can you please advise on how you entered your work/volunteer experiences in the Volunteer Section on ORPAS? UofT explicitly said to ONLY include volunteer experiences while Western allows paid experiences as well. But ORPAS is streamlined (the volunteer section is the same for both schools). I’m not sure how to just include volunteer experiences for UofT but paid + volunteer experiences for Western. Please help an anxious applicant out! Thank you so much! 

Hi there! I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not sure if this is helpful, but someone further up mentioned that they added in "paid" in one of the slots for that position. If anyone knows anything more, please share!

On 1/3/2021 at 9:43 AM, Wugs said:

Hi everyone, for U of A, I was wondering if anyone could please tell me the order of documents for the Department Checks? None of them are indicating which Department Check # corresponds to which (e.g. if Department Check 3 is for the GRE score document, etc). All of mine are saying "Statement"

Hey! For my UofA application this is the order that the Department Check appears in: 
1. CV 2. Statement of Career Interests 3. GRE Test Score Report 4. CSD Completed Application Checklist 5. Pre-requisite Courses Document 

3 hours ago, SLP-hopefully said:

Yea for sure! The program is very focused on teaching hands-on intervention strategies and less theory which I am really enjoying (especially coming from a university program where we were only learning theory)! The content is also very focused on children intervention strategies because most CDAs end up working with children, there are very very limited opportunities for CDAs to work with adults. This year is a little different as its all online because the program is so hand-on so I feel like we are missing out on lot. But the instructors are amazing and super helpful (I go to SLC) and I am definitely learning a lot that would also help me as an SLP if I get in. 

I know quite a few of my classmates chose the CDA program as a back-up to SLP or a stepping stone to SLP. However I don't think many of them are planning on applying right away to the SLP program like I am. I have some friends in the SLP programs right now and they know only 1 or 2 people that got in right away after completing the CDA program. It definitely I think can be an advantage because you would start the SLP program with wayyy more knowledge about the field. However if you plan on doing the CDA program be ready to work as a CDA if you still don't get into SLP, its still an amazing career with lots of awesome opportunities. Also even in the CDA program if you plan on applying to SLP keep in contact with your uni professors as I know Western and UofT prefer uni professors over college instructors as references. 

Thank you so much! That is very helpful

25 minutes ago, somethingcleveraboutspeech said:

Hi!

Anyone else panicking? ?

I just realized I have no idea if I ever sent my transcripts over from Athabasca. Right now, Athabasca is only emailing transcripts. Does anyone know the email address they are supposed to send it to?

Thanks in advance and GOOD LUCK everyone!

Hello :)

I asked over SAM in the ORPAS application and they said to have it sent to this email: professional@ouac.on.ca

You can ask them yourself though if you're not sure. They're really good about replying within 24 hours.

6 hours ago, speechncookies said:

Hi there! I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not sure if this is helpful, but someone further up mentioned that they added in "paid" in one of the slots for that position. If anyone knows anything more, please share!

HI! I put "PAID" before the description. I guess the question is if we'll be penalized by U of T for putting this information in. Has anyone reached out directly to ask about this? My hope is the U of T will just ignore the entries that say "paid" instead of penalizing the application (or better yes, look favourably at it....)

24 minutes ago, somethingcleveraboutspeech said:

HI! I put "PAID" before the description. I guess the question is if we'll be penalized by U of T for putting this information in. Has anyone reached out directly to ask about this? My hope is the U of T will just ignore the entries that say "paid" instead of penalizing the application (or better yes, look favourably at it....)

Yes I hope not! I would be quite unfair since Western allows it.

26 minutes ago, somethingcleveraboutspeech said:

Hi, I emailed Adriana about this issue and she said that UofT does not require work experiences in the Volunteer Section. Whatever we enter for Western will be sent to them but not given weight. Hope this helps!

While we're on the topic of the statement of intent and volunteer hours... The U of T website say that the statement of intent should include two sections, and the second section should include, in point-form, all the details of any relevant volunteer positions. I'm confused. Why would we need to put it there if it's already on the application?

Edited by somethingcleveraboutspeech

59 minutes ago, somethingcleveraboutspeech said:

While we're on the topic of the statement of intent and volunteer hours... The U of T website say that the statement of intent should include two sections, and the second section should include, in point-form, all the details of any relevant volunteer positions. I'm confused. Why would we need to put it there if it's already on the application?

I think the second section they are talking about is the list of volunteer experiences that you put separately in ORPAS. Its part of your personal submission but is separate from the actual letter.

59 minutes ago, somethingcleveraboutspeech said:

As I understand, this just refers to the Volunteer Experience section that's already in the ORPAS application.  I think in that case the Statement of Intent of UofT's=Personal Submissions section of the ORPAS application.

If you go to the UofT link within ORPAS it might be a bit more clear: https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/orpas-toronto/#slp

Hi Everyone,

My referee is asking how long the letter should be and I haven't been able to find any specific info. I said 2 pages as a max? Does anyone else have any ideas, it is my boss so I am not sure what to reference because I don't know how long my academic references were. 

Thanks!

11 hours ago, SLP--2021 said:

Hi Everyone,

My referee is asking how long the letter should be and I haven't been able to find any specific info. I said 2 pages as a max? Does anyone else have any ideas, it is my boss so I am not sure what to reference because I don't know how long my academic references were. 

Thanks!

I don't know the answer to your question, but if your boss is willing to write a 2+ page reference letter... wow! The whole reference form is quite extensive and will require a lot of writing from your referee. I've never seen a limit mentioned for the letter itself, but I'd guess that most do not exceed much more than a page, but if they do, all the more power to you. 

Hi, all! 

So I'm a little bit confused as to how the subGPA works for U of A application. Is it not just your last 60 credits averaged? 

I saw someone posted for ORPAS that an A only equated to a 3.9, yet on the 4 point scale at the U of A it is a 4 (or 12 of 12 grade points dependent on how you are calculating). I'm only applying to the U of A, so I'm just curious why the east does it differently? Or am I wrong to assume that an A and an A+ are weighted the same at the U of A?  

Thanks and good luck to everyone! 

On 1/6/2021 at 1:22 AM, anitnelav said:

Hey! For my UofA application this is the order that the Department Check appears in: 
1. CV 2. Statement of Career Interests 3. GRE Test Score Report 4. CSD Completed Application Checklist 5. Pre-requisite Courses Document 

Thank you so much! Also, if any of you are having trouble uploading materials, this is apparently a common problem with the U of A portal. I reached out to Web Admin for support, and they helped resolve this issue :)

Hello!

I am applying to both SLP and OT for Ontario schools. I am curious if anyone knows how ouac determines which references to send to which schools? For example the university of Toronto requires 2 references, 1 professor and the other either a professor or professional reference. I am not sure how ouac will determine which references to send them since it could be either or.

If anyone knows, that would be much help!

Hey everyone!

I've been reading the SLP forums for a couple years now and I'm so excited to finally post. I just applied for the first time and I'm pretty nervous. It's so hard with COVID to get volunteer hours but I'm hoping some of my past experience helps me out. Looking forward to talking to some of you, and best of luck to you all! :)