NSERC PGS D 2021-2022

MarleyBarley

1 minute ago, illuminatice said:

Nope. I can't imagine a world where the grad secretary in my department would go out of their way to email us our results early. I would be surprised if SGS did that too. So I'm trying to remain hopeful!

Yeah in Chemistry at U of T they were never one to go out of their way to set your mind at ease. So I can't imagine anyone at U of T will hear early unless there is some benefit to the department itself.

An aside, comparing us to the 2020 - 2021 thread it looks like we are less full of nervous energy. They peaked at 33 pages of comments where as we are only at 13. I can't imagine that we will approximately triple even after the results are out.

1 minute ago, Albd said:

An aside, comparing us to the 2020 - 2021 thread it looks like we are less full of nervous energy. They peaked at 33 pages of comments where as we are only at 13. I can't imagine that we will approximately triple even after the results are out.

Last year was actually so terrible because they had a blip releasing the results so I didnt get mine until three days after everyone else lol

1 minute ago, Albd said:

All the same, I feel like I have enough nervous energy to fill 33 pages single-handedly ? I'm just trying to restrain myself so I'm not that annoying person who posts on here every minute hahaha

8 minutes ago, Albd said:

Yeah in Chemistry at U of T they were never one to go out of their way to set your mind at ease. So I can't imagine anyone at U of T will hear early unless there is some benefit to the department itself.

Sounds like we are competing in the same committee. Chemistry from UoGuelph.

Just now, Walczyka said:

Last year was actually so terrible because they had a blip releasing the results so I didnt get mine until three days after everyone else lol

Oh my god, that sounds awful. 

Maybe we've all become such nihilists in the last year that we just don't have to energy to be truly nervous anymore?

Just now, illuminatice said:

All the same, I feel like I have enough nervous energy to fill 33 pages single-handedly ? I'm just trying to restrain myself so I'm not that annoying person who posts on here every minute hahaha

OH I am with you. I just keep trying to convince myself that I didn't get it, so it takes the burn out of it. I am clearly doing well at that.

Just now, jennakinskywalker said:

Oh my god, that sounds awful. 

Maybe we've all become such nihilists in the last year that we just don't have to energy to be truly nervous anymore?

I should also say: individually we're nervous wrecks. But collectively, maybe slightly less?

Who knows? I'm three coffees in and have no plans on working today . . . 

1 minute ago, GHbwoy said:

Sounds like we are competing in the same committee. Chemistry from UoGuelph.

I wish and thought I would be but checking the committees that someone posted yesterday, I might be on the Physics one instead which sucks. I knew someone who I had presented after at conferences before in the Chem committee (not enough that it would be a conflict of interest) but enough that I likely would have had an advocate in her. For the Physics committee I recognise no one. So that makes me less hopeful. 

Just now, jennakinskywalker said:

I should also say: individually we're nervous wrecks. But collectively, maybe slightly less?

Who knows? I'm three coffees in and have no plans on working today . . . 

Im three coffees in but have so much marking due this Friday, then a conference to organize and present at next Tuesday, and meetings all day today and tomorrow.... love when you can't even be a nervous/anxious wreck in peace and have to pretend to be okay for the work day lol

Back in the days, I got my high school diploma from Egypt. High school degree final exams are nation-wide exams, where essentially you compete with every one in the country to get into a good university. They would say the results should be released by next week, without any specifics. Then, all of a sudden, results are announced on their website. Because every high school student in the country logs in the same time, the system would crash. This happened consistently every year. 

Up until this week, I thought Egypt had the worst possible results notification system. NSERC proved me wrong..

3 minutes ago, BittersweetHaiku said:

I feel you. I am showing covid symptoms, in quarantine, and drowning in marking. 

That's terrible! I hope you feel better soon and aren't sick :(

Marking is such a time suck. I normally get a lot of enjoyment out of teaching (I'm literally doing sci comm as a degree so that makes sense) but now that everything is online and I'm just marking, never see my students, and have no interactions with them outside of crisis intervention, it's just become a huge source of stress. 

Signed up just to contribute with my anxiety to the number of pages.

So anxious that I started clicking everywhere in the extranet page. If you click on "Staff View" inside the personal folder, there's a "Modified by: System Account".

Clicking on "System Account" it shows some info and then "Created by Marc-Henri Lauzon".

After some googling, it seems this is a Network Architect working for NSERC. :D

Just now, ChessChz said:

So anxious that I started clicking everywhere in the extranet page. If you click on "Staff View" inside the personal folder, there's a "Modified by: System Account".

Clicking on "System Account" it shows some info and then "Created by Marc-Henri Lauzon".

Bahaha! I went down this same rabbit hole last week!

1 hour ago, fhjdsag said:

I also got notice from my school that I got NSERC. What a mess to not have a centralized system. 

EDIT: I should also mention I got rejected for the provincial competition (Ontario Graduate Scholarship) which is supposedly less competitive. Just shows how subjective these awards are.

Congrats! Do you mind if I ask who contacted you (i.e., was it the faculty of graduate studies or was it your department/faculty)? I'm in the faculty of science at uottawa and have yet to hear anything, so wondering if you were contacted by someone in the faculty of engineering

Edited by jburnz

3 minutes ago, ChessChz said:

My extranet page gives an error message. 

I have decided to not check that page anymore until someone on this page says it's released. At least this way there's some sense of community than to just non-stop be anxiously checking that page ??

Grateful that I found this forum ??

Just now, ParisMashouri said:

My extranet page gives an error message. 

I have decided to not check that page anymore until someone on this page says it's released. At least this way there's some sense of community than to just non-stop be anxiously checking that page ??

Grateful that I found this forum ??

Yeah mine and one of my colleagues just gives an error so you aren't alone in that.

17 minutes ago, ChessChz said:

If you keep going down that rabbit hole, you can see whenever the NSERC staff modifies our folders. They've been consistently modifying it since 8am today so I expect public results soon. 

image.png.54d4db05a288c8aa850e8cc7b4f2858d.png