2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

5 minutes ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

COVID in general is causing a number of delays across various programs. Given that a late January release doesn't seem to be the norm but rather an exception, releasing in the middle of Feb isn't too much of a a delay so I wouldn't stress about it too much! Departments adjusting to being mostly or all online has taken its toll on productivity.  

It definitely is - I just got an email back from Duke History saying they are currently reviewing applications and will have decisions released within the next few weeks (their website states that they give out decisions in mid-February so expect to hear from them 2nd/3rd week Feb). Usually they have acceptances out at the end of Jan, so I think pretty much everywhere can expect a 2-3 week delay this year. By the end of the month most decisions will have been resolved.

8 minutes ago, FingersCrossed2021 said:

Can I ask what subfield you are in? And was it an email or phone call? Anxiously awaiting news from USC as well :) Thank you!!

CP/American 

Edit: email from the student office, then a few days later a letter on YouSC

I had sent an email before getting my decision and they noted decisions would be made by mid-Feb. So stay hopeful! 

Edited by BrownSugar

1 minute ago, btermite said:

I might be able to muster the courage. Would we call the department or the graduate school?

I tried to call the department last week with no answer.  Maybe try the graduate school?

Edited by loiewo

2 minutes ago, btermite said:

I might be able to muster the courage. Would we call the department or the graduate school?

I think we would all be so appreciative if you did this. I’m outside the US right now so it’s too expensive for me to call :( 

1 minute ago, icemanyeo said:

I've decided to just let the decisions come when they come at this point. I'm just going to carry on in my daily activities as usual and whatever happens, happens.

Definitely think that is the best thing to do right now - seems like most decisions will be coming out 2nd and 3rd weeks of Feb at this point, so best to just carry on as normal until they do ?

I know there is at least one other person here interested in Iowa so for them and anyone else, I went ahead and reached out to my PoI there and they said the committee is in the final review process and expects to release decisions within the next two weeks. I was told to expect to hear back no later than the 19th of this month.  

3 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

I've decided to just let the decisions come when they come at this point. I'm just going to carry on in my daily activities as usual and whatever happens, happens.

I admire your ability to do that as I cannot! Thankfully classes start back up next week for me so I'll be able to focus on that! 

8 minutes ago, BrownSugar said:

I think we would all be so appreciative if you did this. I’m outside the US right now so it’s too expensive for me to call :( 

I'm guessing you already know this, but my tip to everyone who wants to call internationally is to use Skype to Landline (as long as you have a solid internet connection). I use it all the time to call family, the bank and my senators, etc. in the US. It's like a couple cents per minute.  I also understand not wanting to spend any money on an international call, but figured I'd mention it as an option generally lol

3 minutes ago, macska said:

I'm guessing you already know this, but my tip to everyone who wants to call internationally is to use Skype to Landline (as long as you have a solid internet connection). I use it all the time to call family, the bank and my senators, etc. in the US. It's like a couple cents per minute.  I also understand not wanting to spend any money on an international call, but figured I'd mention it as an option generally lol

14 minutes ago, BrownSugar said:

When I need to call people in the USA but am not within the country, I use the Talkatone app (available on iOS and Android). Most of the features are free to use and you only need wi-fi or your data if you have a phone plan in your country.

I had to make a phone call to the IRS through the Talkatone app recently and it cost me nothing. I also use it to text sometimes if a contact doesn't have iMessage/WhatsApp/Signal.

Edited by icemanyeo

1 minute ago, icemanyeo said:

When I need to call people in the USA but am not within the country, I use the Talkatone app (available on iOS and Android). Most of the features are free to use and you only need wi-fi or your data if you have a phone plan in your country.

I had to make a phone call to the IRS through the Talkatone app recently and it cost me nothing. I also use it to text sometimes if a contact doesn't have iMessage/WhatsApp/Signal.

Thanks a lot both of you! 

3 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

Hmm, I'll give that a try next time I have to call my grandma or yell at someone political office! Thanks for the tip!

Here's some QoL improvements I've made recently that have helped with my anxiety:

- Turned off notifications (both sound and pop-ups) for my email on my phone as well as on my laptop. 

- Turned off notifications (both sound and pop-ups) for GradCafe on my laptop.

I allow myself to check them whenever I feel like it, because I realized stopping myself from doing so didn't help at all. My biggest source of anxiety and stress was just hearing the email notification sound during whatever activity -- it would stop my heart a little and instill some fear which just isn't healthy when trying to write a thesis. :(