2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

Well, my watch shows 5:00 EST which means I made it through today with no news. Iowa technically still has an hour to get to me before end of business but I won't hold my breath! For those still waiting on West Coast news, good luck and congrats to the people that did get good news today! 

15 minutes ago, spotted said:

followed a bunch of POI on twitter back in December, two followed me back within the day and I didn't think much of it (maybe they just follow a bunch of people back, which seems plausible). TODAY, about a month and a half AFTER I followed them, one POI I followed just followed me back. Like I'm trying not to be super optimistic but like they had to go out of their way to find and follow me back at this point. I wanna see this as a very good sign but at the same time willing to accept it means nothing. 
Thats my day so far though, the twitter notification came up in the middle of my workout and the adrenaline/nervousness helped me finish stronger ?

That's a pretty good sign I think! We take what we can get! As a fellow Chicago and Emory applicant, hopefully we both get good news soon? Out of curiosity, which subfield are you?

Just now, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

That's a pretty good sign I think! We take what we can get! As a fellow Chicago and Emory applicant, hopefully we both get good news soon? Out of curiosity, which subfield are you?

AP! 

Just now, im_sleep_deprived said:

That sucks and I think from what you're saying most programs if they are in a similar position will sacrifice theory students. Here's hoping that some programs have the money needed to admit folk in what is, without a doubt, a very important field.

I really just want to get into one more school so that I can try and get the best deal for myself but it looks like that probably won't happen. 

On a separate note, what do you ideally want to focus your research on if you don't mind me asking?

Fingers crossed for theory, people! While I know why those who manage the funding side of this question decide to suppress Political Theory, I do not <I> understand </I> them ?

(I applied to three programs because all my other potential unis decided to skip this year, so I am prepared for another cycle, which, however, also does not look v promising and should not be less horrible, BUT first things first, I wish you good luck!! And I hope you will hear some good news, sooner or later!)

Sure! I have been cruising withing the interdisciplinary waters of classics, philosophy, and polisci; e.g., my MA thesis is on the irrational behavior of political agents, as seen through Thucydides’ History and the political role of eros, as he depicts it. Now, I would like to say goodbyes to my (still) beloved Thuc but proceed with political behavior and transitory regimes. The last ones interest me most; probably and partially because I am from Russia, the northern mother of magical realism, double ontologies, and in-betweenness. Be that as it may, I have some topics that have been keeping me intrigued for many years (and they still are my riddle wrapped up in an enigma). Plus, I have some minor interests as well. 

What about you?

43 minutes ago, BrownSugar said:

Update: Staying away from your phone for hours does not help. A few hours later, no emails and I feel just as restless as when I usually keep checking my phone throughout the day. ?

I have a daily email subscription that I KNOW comes around 5pm AST but I still got a heart attack hearing the notification today.

35 minutes ago, verschiedene said:

I am also in theory and applying to Berkeley which is def one of my top choices and I thought a really good fit... thanks for the information, now i could start to prepare for an imminent rejection ?

Feel you! I do not know how they are going to rule out their final decision, but I wish you luck and a Stoic attitude! Since the application process turns into a roulette after you click “submit,” and since we allknow participate in this one-sided gamble, the least we can do is (be) stay stoic. 

Deinos means both terrible and wonderful in Ancient Greek, and this is what 2020 was, and so is its impact. But do not let it affect you. And I believe that things will turn out well for you!! 

6 minutes ago, til1996 said:

For what it's worth, if an informal email acceptance from a professor comes before the graduate schools issues a letter, it's certainly possible that email will come after 5:00 PM.

True but then I have to stay stressed all day. I’m trying to give myself a break here lol 

56 minutes ago, Dream Bigger said:

I JUST GOT AN OFFER FROM USC WITH FELLOWSHIP AAAAH (still have to put it in the survey) 

Congradulation! By "USC" we mean University of Southern California or University of South Carolina? Thank you

Thank you! California

28 minutes ago, BrownSugar said:

Thank you! California

I almost regret not applying to USC. I feel like I had a good chance, and one of my LOR writers is also an alum of the Political Science PhD program there. 

The only thing that held me back is the ranking. On US News it was like 51, so I got very skeptical.

18 minutes ago, nivy25 said:

I almost regret not applying to USC. I feel like I had a good chance, and one of my LOR writers is also an alum of the Political Science PhD program there. 

The only thing that held me back is the ranking. On US News it was like 51, so I got very skeptical.

One of my professors from my Master’s program recommended it highly as an option, so I trusted his insight re faculty, training and strength etc. more than a ranking :) 

18 minutes ago, nivy25 said:

While US News ranking is somewhat important its important to remember that the ranking takes the Department as a whole into consideration. There are some schools where the overall Department ranking might be middling but for one or two subfields it is a really stellar school; not sure what subfield you are in and how USC looks for that fields either but never take the ranking as some end all, be all definer of how good the program is. 

10 hours ago, xiuling said:

Any updates from University of Virginia?

I also applied for UVA. Actually I have already heard that there are interviews informed or even offers issued for other programs such as education, sociology, but I really don't know whether poli sci has the interview.

Re: USC, they've had a very good placement record in recent years, even compared to top 20 schools. Particularly in IR. Multiple Belfer post-docs, placements at R1s, and quite a few competitive LACs. They have  (a lot) of money and they throw it into funding grad student research and professionalization, and it's made a difference in publication results for grads as well. Source: Have friends in the program who are publishing in IO, JOP, and ISQ. 

On 1/30/2021 at 3:46 AM, BrownSugar said:

I JUST GOT AN OFFER FROM USC WITH FELLOWSHIP AAAAH (still have to put it in the survey) 

Congrats and glad to hear that!

But also pity for myself. I guess maybe I should be prepared to receive the rejection from USC now.

2 minutes ago, Charleslee007 said:

Congrats and glad to hear that!

But also pity for myself. I guess maybe I should be prepared to receive the rejection from USC now.

No, don’t count yourself out yet! It might be depending on subfield, and this year is also definitely unprecedented in terms of decision releases. Wishing you luck!!