2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

Hi all, 

I am applying to University of Michigan and I just had an interesting chat with my professor. Apparently, there are times where Michigan does not admit any students in a particular field. In other words, different fields get to select different numbers of students in different years and sometimes it works out so that no students are admitted to a particular specification. I am unsure if this is the case this year. He believes that theory applications will probably not be admitted this year (which sucks for me). 

2 minutes ago, im_sleep_deprived said:

Hi all, 

I am applying to University of Michigan and I just had an interesting chat with my professor. Apparently, there are times where Michigan does not admit any students in a particular field. In other words, different fields get to select different numbers of students in different years and sometimes it works out so that no students are admitted to a particular specification. I am unsure if this is the case this year. He believes that theory applications will probably not be admitted this year (which sucks for me). 

Heard the same as well (the bit about Theory) from someone in the department. Very disappointing indeed if true. 

8 minutes ago, animal_whisperer said:

Heard the same as well (the bit about Theory) from someone in the department. Very disappointing indeed if true. 

Did you hear directly from someone in the department? Sorry, I don't mean to pry. Its just if thats the case I can work on getting my ego ready for the rejection that is coming my way :P 

Hi all,

Longtime lurker joining in, mostly because my predictable February anxiety is already in full swing. I also applied to Princeton but have not received any news. In that vein, I was wondering if the general consensus in this group is that all of the Princeton results were trolls or only the rejections? Like, are we all just waiting to be rejected/waitlisted at this point, or do we think there is a chance that acceptances are coming down the line? (I'm aware it's all conjecture, but still curious for people's thoughts)

7 minutes ago, PoliTheory2021 said:

Hi all,

Longtime lurker joining in, mostly because my predictable February anxiety is already in full swing. I also applied to Princeton but have not received any news. In that vein, I was wondering if the general consensus in this group is that all of the Princeton results were trolls or only the rejections? Like, are we all just waiting to be rejected/waitlisted at this point, or do we think there is a chance that acceptances are coming down the line? (I'm aware it's all conjecture, but still curious for people's thoughts)

Hi there! There is a strong consensus in the group that those were all trolls, at least by my reading.

34 minutes ago, im_sleep_deprived said:

Hi all, 

If this is true, it's not okay in my book. People spend their hard earned money paying for these applications. If they know they're not accepting anyone for a particular field, they should state that. 

Edited by TheLifeofBrian

Agreed - seems that last week's Berkeley and Princeton results were fake. I'd venture to say Duke's 2 admits over the weekend were also fake. 

I'm really intrigued by today's Berkeley admits. I'll be super interested to see if those turn out to be authentic and to speculate about why/how there may be that many gradcafe users who post results but don't engage on the forum... would be an interesting puzzle to figure out what drives different ways of using gradcafe.

The fact that there are rejections posted today as well means that they're fake. Rejections would just be a mass email sent via Campaign Monitor or something, no need to do that one by one -- hence we would have received one already!

@Indeed It is definitely both. I know someone last year who had a solo top subfield journal article. He is at a top department, but still... That's the competition. 

Edited by timeseries

2 minutes ago, Indeed said:

We are so unlucky this year or admissions are getting more and more competitive or both

one of my BA professors once said exactly these words "when my parents were student, going to college was distinctive, when I was a student, doing master's was distinctive, but you, even phd will be not enough for you"

so, sad story for our generation

Just now, Aydemiru said:

one of my BA professors once said exactly these words "when my parents were student, going to college was distinctive, when I was a student, doing master's was distinctive, but you, even phd will be not enough for you"

so, sad story for our generation

A PhD is only necessary if you want to be an academic! Otherwise it has no bearing on distinctiveness or whatever.

Just now, timeseries said:

A PhD is only necessary if you want to be an academic! Otherwise it has no bearing on distinctiveness or whatever.

yes but I know people who do not want to be an academic but still do a phd just to have a dr title, just for prestige

1 minute ago, Aydemiru said:

yes but I know people who do not want to be an academic but still do a phd just to have a dr title, just for prestige

I know that is a thing, but it's entirely the wrong mentality to have. Only do a PhD if you have a burning desire to be a professor.