2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

5 hours ago, timeseries said:

Michigan is definitely looking at applications (but then again, all schools are at this point). Someone from Michigan (I can't tell who, it just says an anon profile who is faculty member there) viewed my LinkedIn this morning, so I think they're still deliberating ... but it's unlikely they have decided.

So I looked up certifile on the Rackham page and it says:

• Admitted students have the option (not mandatory) to use Certifile transcript submission through their ApplyWeb account. ApplyWeb has partnered with Educational Perspectives (EP) and Digitary Inc. to verify, evaluate, and deliver your credentials electronically to our office.

IMHO if you are going to reject me or if I am not a possible candidate why would you change my applyweb page after this long? if they did that without any reason or if they will eventually reject me I think this is unnessary change to the page lol. Anyway if I get rejected after this change I will send an email recommending not to do this dumb move in such a tense time for applicants :D 

5 hours ago, baby__yoda said:

Wait ... for those who applied to UMich did applyweb update to include a link to upload your undergrad transcripts through Certifile? My applyweb changed

I think I've had this since I applied? Unless I'm not noticing something... It has def at least had something about certifile all along for me. I'm an international student so not sure if that makes a difference 

1 hour ago, defcaffeinated said:

I think I've had this since I applied? Unless I'm not noticing something... It has def at least had something about certifile all along for me. I'm an international student so not sure if that makes a difference 

If you got your degree from a Non-US university I believe the process defers, I got my degree from a US university and i am an international applicant but just today got the certifile update on apply web 

4 hours ago, afjackie said:

Oh man, that is so frustrating! I was applying at the normal Jan 15 deadline for Geneva (I think I submitted it around December 27), so I am not expecting to hear until early- to mid-March unfortunately. I was kicking myself for not getting it in before the early decision deadline (Nov 15), but it sounds like it wouldn't have made a difference given your experience. I'm sorry you are having to wait so long, though! I'll let you know if I do hear anything sooner, of course. I also applied to Northwestern, but again didn't get that application in until closer to the deadline (I think I submitted Dec 1). 

Who are you hoping to work with at Geneva and/or Northwestern, if you don't mind me asking? 

Yeah I sent in all my applications to US schools way before the December/January deadline since I was planning on meeting the early bird deadline for IHEID anyway. It has been a challenging three months to say the least ?

At IHEID, I hope to work with Stephanie Hofmann or Keith Krause. At Northwestern, Ian Hurd or Marina Henke. And you?

4 hours ago, defcaffeinated said:

Yes I think it has been there for at least over a week for me as well and IMO is really no indication re: our chance of being admitted. I share everyone’s anxiety but would recommend that we not obsess over this. 

6 hours ago, pspr said:

One small rant: the time and money we spend on grad school apps are way too much, especially for foreign students whose first language is not English. As a non-US citizen we can’t file for app fees waiver, so that’s around $80-100 per each school you apply to. Plus we have to pay for a standardized English test (TOEFL/IELTS), and that’s additional $180 plus the fees for sending scores to the schools ($20 per each). And of course, the GRE... almost the same exact amount as the English test for foreigners. It’s just quite a lot! I can say with every cent we paid we have every right to be anxious! ?

Yes I def feel you regarding the cost (and opportunity cost) of grad school app. There is a straightforward financial threshold as well as an intellectual one (which is not itself unrelated to one’s financial background) to enter the academia. And the academia definitely also suffers from a limited perspective bc of its middle-class positionality. The best we could do for now anyways is to do the best where we can and hopefully we could help change it from within someday!

Edited by verschiedene

6 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

Can't believe we're soon to be in February...this year is going by fast!

Me neither! It feels exciting and nerve-wracking that it'll be February in less than 48 hours! This wait has been so intense though after getting all my applications in early October, I'm so glad it's finally the month!

Hi everyone,

New to the forum but a semi- long time reader; I have a question for those of you from the US.

I have been offered (and have now accepted) a 4-year funded doctoral scholarship at UCL. However, I am worrying that going to UCL may make it harder to work in the US post-graduation because it is relatively unknown to academics in the States.

My question is: how well known/well regarded is UCL in the US? How does it stack up in the imagination compared to schools there (Compared to Ivies/R1 etc.)? Finding good answers on this is difficult, so thought I would put the feelers out on here.

Also happy to give the following:

Acceptances from LSE, UCL, and Warwick (all Politics/Political Science – just in case anyone was wondering).

2 minutes ago, TheorySqueez said:

Hi everyone,

New to the forum but a semi- long time reader; I have a question for those of you from the US.

I have been offered (and have now accepted) a 4-year funded doctoral scholarship at UCL. However, I am worrying that going to UCL may make it harder to work in the US post-graduation because it is relatively unknown to academics in the States.

My question is: how well known/well regarded is UCL in the US? How does it stack up in the imagination compared to schools there (Compared to Ivies/R1 etc.)? Finding good answers on this is difficult, so thought I would put the feelers out on here.

Acceptances from LSE, UCL, and Warwick (all Politics/Political Science – just in case anyone was wondering).

Hi - current student at UCL here. Obviously it's not Oxford or Cambridge, but it's pretty well known since it's in the top 10 of QS world rankings - I think it's number 8. So I'd say if you have a funded scholarship, go for it and congrats! The Political Science department of UCL is probably one of its best departments honestly. 

39 minutes ago, TheorySqueez said:

American here, with an LSE MSc. I had similar questions and fortunately I had very blunt professors at LSE who did their PhDs in both the US and UK. Their advice is as follows:

If you want the option of working in the US, the poli sci job market is the most competitive compared to other countries' and a US degree is the best option. It is far more difficult and sometimes impossible to get good positions with a foreign PhD in poli sci. On the other hand, a US PhD is very attractive in the UK/East Asia etc., and would make you as equally competitive in those markets. A UK PhD will limit you in terms of competitiveness and possibly disadvantage you if you seek a job outside the UK/EU. 

As I mentioned, this advice came from professors who got their PhDs from Yale, WashU and UK universities. So I would strongly suggest considering US options if you have them. If not, I see you have accepted UCL's offer, and as the above poster mentioned, it is an EXCELLENT institution. I would merely be aware of the practical limitations and reality of the job market (if you wish to continue in academia outside the UK/EU). You will lack competitiveness in the US with a UCL degree as opposed to a US (particularly R1) degree. That just seems to be a fact. 

Edited by BrownSugar

29 minutes ago, baby__yoda said:

Seems like the Duke acceptances were in CP. Did anyone interview for their political behavior and identities subfield?

I believe the posted results are false. We've had numerous trolls this cycle and it's very uncommon for results to be out during the weekends.

Edited by plus

31 minutes ago, plus said:

I believe the posted results are false. We've had numerou trolls this cycle and it's very uncommon for results to be out during the weekends.

While results coming out on weekends is uncommon, Northwestern just released all its results for History PhD applicants today, with some claiming rejections in the history forum so I think it can happen. I think those Duke results are probably real since they have a lot of details attached to them re interviews etc. Hoping they get back for History PhD applicants soon too. 

Edit: I agree with poster below in advising caution - they may or may not be authentic. 

Edited by scarletwitch

Just now, scarletwitch said:

While results coming out on weekends is uncommon, Northwestern just released all its results for History PhD applicants today, with some claiming rejections in the history forum so I think it can happen. I think those Duke results are probably real since they have a lot of details attached to them re interviews etc. Hoping they get back for History PhD applicants soon too. 

If someone claims it on this thread, then they are likely to be legitimate results. Till that happens, I would err on the side of those results being fake. 

According to the web app by one of the forum members maybe it can look like Duke sends acceptances in two distinct batches in consecutive days? Maybe it's wishful thinking.... Can someone claim one of these offers and put us all out of our miseries???

7 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

I've checked Berkeley's portal so much it's the first thing that pops up in my address bar when I type "www" ?

Hopefully the stress can be over for you soon! Can't imagine we'll get anything till Monday but hopefully if you do get a weekend surprise it'll be a good one! I'm mostly just trying to not think about it but that is hard and I'm still checking these forums to see if anyone posts anything lol

Edited by Mad Scientist Malfrost

For those of us still dreaming about Duke, I'd like to indulge a rather baseless theory with incredibly self-serving reasoning to support it that there may be some hope for us. First of all, we still have no claimants here in the forum. Secondly, using the app by @Clintarius, we can notice that between 2014 and 2019 all acceptances were usually sent on a Monday or a Tuesday except for 2016 when it happened on a Wednesday. 

giphy.gif