2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

5 minutes ago, til1996 said:

I think within the next week. I have no evidence for this - just my foreboding! 

No doubt, I'm guessing next Friday as ABSOLUTE latest for Princeton based on the data.

3 minutes ago, Habermas said:

No doubt, I'm guessing next Friday as ABSOLUTE latest for Princeton based on the data.

I have a feeling a lot of us will be getting decisions one way or another for a lot of schools next week. Just looking at trends the first week of Feb normally has so many decisions go out and it seems like that despite COVID a lot of school are staying on track. Which makes sense since you don't want to have the committee meeting more than it has to once classes have started back up.  

Just now, PolNerd said:

I also sense a bloodbath from Princeton -- I have this weird feeling it will be today, around 5 pm. Same with Berkeley.

If it turns out you all end up being right I'll totally pay you all to get senses about when my schools will be releasing their decisions lol

18 minutes ago, macska said:

I reached out to 2-3 professors at the schools that I applied for back in November. Some professors didn't respond or gave responses like "sounds great!", while others gave some pretty in-depth feedback on my proposal. The ones that gave the most feedback are so far the places that I've had positive responses from. When I was applying last year, I found it helpful because even when professors were retiring or leaving the department, they often gave solid advice on other people to reach out to either in their university or elsewhere. But I also agree with others that reaching out now is probably too late! If you end up applying in a future cycle, I'd recommend to avoid reaching out during school breaks (summer/winter) and instead reach out late spring (if you're really ambitious) or in early fall (if you're just regular ambitious).

Hey I reached out to them around August last year and had zoom calls about my research and their labs and stuff so I was surprised I've heard nothing yet. 

6 minutes ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

I have a feeling a lot of us will be getting decisions one way or another for a lot of schools next week. Just looking at trends the first week of Feb normally has so many decisions go out and it seems like that despite COVID a lot of school are staying on track. Which makes sense since you don't want to have the committee meeting more than it has to once classes have started back up.  

I literally last night analysed the application decisions for all 16 US universities I've applied to and for sure the first couple weeks of February are when a ton of decisions go out. There's a few which are later, but not as many. I've applied to Princeton for a different program (History) but I know their deadline is Feb 15th so for sure expect decisions from them all around between next week and the following. 

1 minute ago, Beezy said:

Hey I reached out to them around August last year and had zoom calls about my research and their labs and stuff so I was surprised I've heard nothing yet. 

I honestly don't think at this point not hearing is necessarily a bad thing since if you've had good interactions and they already have a good sense of your project they probably didn't feel the need for a formal interview this Jan? Hopefully those positive exchanges will come to fruition in the next couple weeks! 

1 minute ago, icemanyeo said:

I'm moving between apartments in about an hour so I hope nothing comes out before that...I don't need the news right now. ?

Good luck with the move. Hopefully if you do get any news it will be good news for you!

19 minutes ago, ExileOnMainSt said:

Best of luck on your move!

22 minutes ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

Good luck with the move. Hopefully if you do get any news it will be good news for you!

23 minutes ago, polisci_gal said:

Have a good/safe move! I hope you get good news today toooooo

Thank you all! ❤️

Just now, icemanyeo said:

Just curious but am I the only one taking solace in not hearing anything? Like, as long as I don't hear back, I may still have some hope of good news. 

Ya im kind of like - no news is good news right?

2 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

Just curious but am I the only one taking solace in not hearing anything? Like, as long as I don't hear back, I may still have some hope of good news. 

That's me! Especially since a number of the places I've applied tend to send out rejections before acceptances according to the numbers here. So long as I don't get that rejection notice, I'm still in the running is the way I'm looking at it. 

Just now, PolNerd said:

Finally got an official acceptance email (decision was on portal) from the DSG at OSU. Funding decisions will be sent mid Feb and the virtual visit is schedule for March 3rd!

Congrats! That is awesome. OSU is a great school with a great department from what I know of it!

17 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

I feel like that, so long as no one else gets news as well. Because then if others get news, and I don’t, that’s surely a bad sign? 

4 minutes ago, BrownSugar said:

I feel like that, so long as no one else gets news as well. Because then if others get news, and I don’t, that’s surely a bad sign? 

I guess it depends on the school. Some people like @PolNerd seem to have gotten their acceptance decisions after the first wave that we saw on the forum.