2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

2 hours ago, macska said:

This is what happened to me last cycle (at a different school though). My advice is to just make sure that you make it clear that you are excited about the offer and that you want to remain on the waitlist for funding. Not sure if it helps all that much, but definitely helps to show the school that you're still interested. Best of luck and hopefully you get the funding soon!

Thanks! I immediately sent them an email showing my interest, and also politely noting that I need the funding. Fingers crossed! 

Edited by HolyGinger

1 hour ago, StarkDark1 said:

Wow, got so many responses to my question about where people are applying.  Best of luck everyone!

I applied to to UC Irvine, Johns Hopkins, Boston University, Northwestern, UC Santa Cruz, University of Virginia, University of British Columbia, University of Michigan, UMass Amherst, Cornell, University of Colorado-Boulder, and York University.  

I love the line up of Canadian schools in here. I only applied to Western in Canada but I love the great white north!!

I should probably hop on here too. I have pretty specific research interests which limited where I wanted to study/who I wanted to work with. I was really focused on fit (and I also wanted to be on the east coast).

Anyway, I applied to: SUNY Buffalo, SUNY Binghamton, Syracuse, Boston University, UMass Amherst, University of Delaware, University of Florida, and University of Western Ontario. 

Wish me luck everyone lol ❤️ 

3 minutes ago, polisci_gal said:

I should probably hop on here too. I have pretty specific research interests which limited where I wanted to study/who I wanted to work with. I was really focused on fit (and I also wanted to be on the east coast).

Anyway, I applied to: SUNY Buffalo, SUNY Binghamton, Syracuse, Boston University, UMass Amherst, University of Delaware, University of Florida, and University of Western Ontario. 

Wish me luck everyone lol ❤️ 

Best of luck! Out of curiosity, what subfield are you in and what topics specifically are you hoping to research?

17 minutes ago, polisci_gal said:

I love the line up of Canadian schools in here. I only applied to Western in Canada but I love the great white north!!

I applied to Concordia as I wanted to be back in a French-speaking environment (haven't been in one since high school).

Just now, icemanyeo said:

Seems like the past two years, Princeton results were entered on January 29th. Take a deep breath y'all!

giphy.gif

Fingers crossed for all you Princeton applicants! I thought of applying myself but I didn't feel I was a good fit. Wishing you all the best of luck and hopefully good news though! 

2 minutes ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

Fingers crossed for all you Princeton applicants! I thought of applying myself but I didn't feel I was a good fit. Wishing you all the best of luck and hopefully good news though! 

I am hinging all my hopes and dreams on the pre-doctoral fellowship! :( 

Edited by icemanyeo

I just want to appreciate all of you guys! It feels great knowing there’s so many people out there feeling the same anxiety, fears and hopes that I feel.

I have learned a lot about so many of you’ll on here, and definitely gained so many valuable insights! :) 

I hope we all get into someplace of our choice eventually. For me- I’m waiting on a lot of decisions, and I have two waitlists (no acceptances yet, unfortunately). But knowing that I’m not alone, helps so much.

Best wishes to everyone on here.

1 minute ago, nivy25 said:

I just want to appreciate all of you guys! It feels great knowing there’s so many people out there feeling the same anxiety, fears and hopes that I feel.

I have learned a lot about so many of you’ll on here, and definitely gained so many valuable insights! :) 

I hope we all get into someplace of our choice eventually. For me- I’m waiting on a lot of decisions, and I have two waitlists (no acceptances yet, unfortunately). But knowing that I’m not alone, helps so much.

Best wishes to everyone on here.

giphy.gif

Hey all!

Long-time lurker breaking my professor's advice not to check TheGradCafe in order to wish everyone good luck. Again, it was a tough year and an even tougher application cycle from the sound of things, so keep your heads up regardless of the outcome (I haven't heard back from a single one, so bracing myself for the next week or 3 of decisions)!

Also, I think I saw someone applying to UBC-- did my undergrad and my MA there, so happy to chat directly for those considering applying there.

2 minutes ago, BrownSugar said:

Guys, but for real, how anticlimactic will this be if we don’t hear tomorrow ??

Given that Berkeley at the very least has sent decisions on Sundays it seems, it would be expected

2 minutes ago, BrownSugar said:

Guys, but for real, how anticlimactic will this be if we don’t hear tomorrow ??

Haha that will be the worst bc then I feel like it's just going to sneak up on. In my mind, tomorrow is the day for so many schools and I will no idea what to expect. Do a lot of program send out offers on the weekend?

personally i wouldnt bank on princeton releasing decisions tomorrow. in the past (except the last 2-3 years) it seems like they have released decisions way later and given covid.... im gonna try to just enjoy the weekend before getting my dreams crushed next week.

For anyone with Canadian school application experience, do you have an idea when they usually send out results? I applied to Concordia but their website is very vague about it and so was the email I received after applying.

Just now, cbsag123 said:

personally i wouldnt bank on princeton releasing decisions tomorrow. in the past (except the last 2-3 years) it seems like they have released decisions way later and given covid.... im gonna try to just enjoy the weekend before getting my dreams crushed next week.

it seemed to me from past admissions that they always release before january 30. but of course covid

1 minute ago, cbsag123 said:

You're probably right, but if they've done it in the last 2-3 years, maybe a 4th one is in the books? who knows.

Just now, loiewo said:

it seemed to me from past admissions that they always release before january 30. but of course covid

Other schools have released decisions on-time though, even with the increased volume in applicants, so I think we might hear back on the same timeline for Princeton. Of course, this is all just speculation.

Has anyone been able to get any research done lately? I'm still writing, but it feels like my productivity has gone down, although I think COVID in general has affected that...??‍?

Edited by icemanyeo