2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

1 minute ago, TheLifeofBrian said:

My browser keeps blocking me from accessing the website saying "The Connection is not private". Anyone else getting that?

Perhaps this is a divine intervention, haha. At least we can't drive ourselves crazy for a little while: Enjoy!

2 minutes ago, TheLifeofBrian said:

My browser keeps blocking me from accessing the website saying "The Connection is not private". Anyone else getting that?

Makes me think the site might have been hacked.

I keep getting that too on the results page of gradcafe. The forum doesn't give me any errors though. 

Hi guys!

Longtime lurker, first time poster here. Have applied to UChicago, NYU, Yale, Princeton and MIT (bit of a total crapshoot across the board with no safeties) in comparative politics along with masters programs in the UK. Loving the energy on this forum. 

I will say that UCSD coming out around now gives me hope that other schools will also be on time this year.

1 hour ago, StarkDark1 said:

When do you think we can expect to hear from BU?  Been waiting anxiously for this one...  ?

Thinking maybe tomorrow? Last year a lot of admission results from BU were posted on thegradcafe on Jan 29.....Im so impatient tho lol! Def need to stop refreshing my portal/email

7 minutes ago, comradecommissar said:

Hi guys!

Longtime lurker, first time poster here. Have applied to UChicago, NYU, Yale, Princeton and MIT (bit of a total crapshoot across the board with no safeties) in comparative politics along with masters programs in the UK. Loving the energy on this forum. 

I will say that UCSD coming out around now gives me hope that other schools will also be on time this year.

Welcome! Which masters programmes in the UK?

Just now, defcaffeinated said:

Welcome! Which masters programmes in the UK?

Hi! LSE and Oxford. I pulled out of applying to Cambridge right at the very end because it wasn't a good fit. Im interested very much in studying ethnicity, violence and the intersection of the two, and so fit is particularly important to me.

7 minutes ago, comradecommissar said:

Hi! LSE and Oxford. I pulled out of applying to Cambridge right at the very end because it wasn't a good fit. Im interested very much in studying ethnicity, violence and the intersection of the two, and so fit is particularly important to me.

The LSE Comparative Politics program is excellent. I just graduated from it in November. Based on your interests, I hope you checked out the conflict studies program as well! It’s a slightly smaller program but it’s tied a bit more closely to your interests. 

Just now, ExileOnMainSt said:

LSE Comparative Politics program is excellent. I just graduated from it in November. Based on your interests, I hope you checked out the conflict studies program as well! It’s a slightly smaller program but it’s tied a bit more closely to your interests. 

Is that a master's program? When do applications go out for that? I might need a backup given how this year is going..

1 minute ago, poliscihopeful2021 said:

Is that a master's program? When do applications go out for that? I might need a backup given how this year is going..

It is. And it's rolling admissions, so I suggest applying ASAP. LSE's programmes tend to fill up by March. 

Edit: for instance, when I applied, I got accepted in early Jan and my programme closed in mid February. 

Edited by BrownSugar

Just now, poliscihopeful2021 said:

So 1-year master's? How are they with funding etc.?

It is. You can get funding from the uni that is needs based but it's extremely competitive obviously. There are also more program and department specific funding but I do not know much about that. You will need to check the website yourself. 

Just now, BrownSugar said:

It is. You can get funding from the uni that is needs based but it's extremely competitive obviously. There are also more program and department specific funding but I do not know much about that. You will need to check the website yourself. 

Okay thank you! Nothing like the next couple of rejections to move me towards MA program websites lol

Just now, poliscihopeful2021 said:

Okay thank you! Nothing like the next couple of rejections to move me towards MA program websites lol

Hahaha I do hope you get some offers, but I understand that it's good to have back-ups :) Since I've already done my master's, I'm a bit worried about not having a proper back-up plan since the labor market isn't very reliable.