2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

2 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

Has anyone been able to get any research done lately? I'm still writing, but it feels like my productivity has gone down, although I think COVID in general has affected that...??‍?

I felt unproductive last semester due to COVID. This semester is a whole new level...struggling to write a chapter of my senior thesis as we speak. 

1 minute ago, ovejal said:

I felt unproductive last semester due to COVID. This semester is a whole new level...struggling to write a chapter of my senior thesis as we speak. 

I think online classes have also contributed to my slump. I was much more productive pre-covid during Spring 2020 than right now.

31 minutes ago, kestrel18 said:

Guys, those of you who were accepted to MSU, congrats!  
Our DGS told us there was an absolutely insane competition this year, and you made it! 
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the program :)

-current MSU Ph.D. student

Thank you for your post. Could you share the list how many admisson did you get during your application cycle? What were they and why you chose MSU finally?

It really helps! I appreciate it!

Edited by Lovemyboy

1 hour ago, icemanyeo said:

Has anyone been able to get any research done lately? I'm still writing, but it feels like my productivity has gone down, although I think COVID in general has affected that...??‍?

I'm an RA currently that is cleaning data and running regressions and I struggle to open R everyday. I know that feeling. 

Edited by Mad Scientist Malfrost

For anyone with Canadian school application experience, do you have an idea when they usually send out results? I applied to Concordia but their website is very vague about it and so was the email I received after applying.

I think anywhere from Mid-end of February up until late March probably. Will depend on the school. You could probably reach out to the graduate chair at Concordia and inquire 

1 hour ago, ovejal said:

I think online classes have also contributed to my slump. I was much more productive pre-covid during Spring 2020 than right now.

I’m fortunate to have graduated in November, but the flip side is that I’m an unemployed graduate who is struggling to even get a temp job ha. I’m wishing you both, and anyone else in uni right now, best of luck! 

50 minutes ago, BrownSugar said:

I’m fortunate to have graduated in November, but the flip side is that I’m an unemployed graduate who is struggling to even get a temp job ha. I’m wishing you both, and anyone else in uni right now, best of luck! 

Yeah I graduated in end of June and I'm having the same struggle.. the job market is killer right now. And it's not helping my confidence that now I'm applying for part time internships as a 28 year old haha

15 hours ago, polisci_gal said:

I'm in the same boat as you both. Went into my MA right after my BA, and now finishing up my MA while applying to PhDs. I feel pretty young too. Lol. Also have major imposter syndrome...

If it makes any of you feel better, I returned to school after 10 years in the workforce.  Its just as weird feeling when you're "older" and the imposter syndrome is super real.  Everyone else your age are already professors, and your cohort is 10 years younger so you don't quite fit there either. 

I started feeling like I shouldn't have joined this forum and checked the results of previous cycles. As it's the last Friday of January, I am refreshing my e-mail account like crazy. I hope Berkeley, Princeton and Emory release their results today...

7 minutes ago, Indeed said:

I started feeling like I shouldn't have joined this forum and checked the results of previous cycles. As it's the last Friday of January, I am refreshing my e-mail account like crazy. I hope Berkeley, Princeton and Emory release their results today...

If you're using Chrome, I recommend checking out these extensions:

StayFocused | BlockSite

I would also set your phone on Do Not Disturb and uninstall the email app so as to not hear any notifications. We have absolutely no way of knowing when results will be released as applicants, so remove any stress sources for today if you have to do so.

13 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

That's a really fast turnaround time! Was it for PhDs?

Yes it was, I was (and I am still are) quite shocked by how fast things proceeded. Especially when considering that I haven't heard anything from the other universities I applied to (for results or interviews). 

18 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

That's a really fast turnaround time! Was it for PhDs?

That is the fastest sadness for me LoL 

I wasnt called for an interview so I will probably be rejected soon, and I feel like I wont get any admission because I did not get into Albany. It was the last one I applied in terms of rankings