2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

4 minutes ago, iheartdemocracy said:

Thank you so much! I wasn't interviewed, but I exchanged a few emails with a POI late December. Here's to hoping you hear back soon - and with some good news! ?

Thanks! I don't have any educational background on political psychology, so my chances are probably very low. But fingers crossed!

Edited by HolyGinger

Just now, HolyGinger said:

Thanks! I don't have any educational background on political psychology, so my chances are probably very low. Fingers crossed!

Of course! If it makes you feel any better, I wasn't feeling very confident about my chances either. I felt (and still feel) super young (I'm only 21) compared to other applicants, so the acceptance was pretty surprising. But then again, I guess we really are our own worst critics! You got this!

Hey everyone! I got an official offer of admissions from the University of Manchester today - first confirmed acceptance! Won't know about funding until March, though...

Accepted Interview(ed) Pending Rejected

Northwestern, Graduate Institute Geneva, Notre Dame (Kroc/Peace Studies and PoliSci), Manchester, Edinburgh, U Denver (Josef Korbel/International Studies), UC Irvine.

1 minute ago, afjackie said:

Hey everyone! I got an official offer of admissions from the University of Manchester today - first confirmed acceptance! Won't know about funding until March, though...

Northwestern, Graduate Institute Geneva, Notre Dame (Kroc/Peace Studies and PoliSci), Manchester, Edinburgh, U Denver (Josef Korbel/International Studies), UC Irvine.

Congrats on the acceptance! Fingers crossed that much funding comes your way! 

4 minutes ago, baby__yoda said:

Wait ... for those who applied to UMich did applyweb update to include a link to upload your undergrad transcripts through Certifile? My applyweb changed

Mine is like that too but it says certifile is optional

7 minutes ago, baby__yoda said:

Wait ... for those who applied to UMich did applyweb update to include a link to upload your undergrad transcripts through Certifile? My applyweb changed

Michigan is definitely looking at applications (but then again, all schools are at this point). Someone from Michigan (I can't tell who, it just says an anon profile who is faculty member there) viewed my LinkedIn this morning, so I think they're still deliberating ... but it's unlikely they have decided.

12 minutes ago, afjackie said:

Congrats!! Best of luck with funding! 

Edit: There's an official group on FB for Grad Institute Geneva applicants if you want to join/ haven't yet! 

Edited by BrownSugar

2 minutes ago, BrownSugar said:

Congrats!! Best of luck with funding! 

Edit: There's an official group on FB for Grad Institute Geneva applicants if you want to join/ haven't yet! 

Ooooh thanks for letting me knowI I think Geneva is my top choice so I will definitely be joining that group. And thank you!!!

15 minutes ago, baby__yoda said:

Mine has been like that for a while now. I think it’s just bc mich is one of the only schools requiring official transcripts and that’s just an additional (costly) third-party service to certify your transcripts. I didn’t do it anyways 

47 minutes ago, afjackie said:

Ooooh thanks for letting me knowI I think Geneva is my top choice so I will definitely be joining that group. And thank you!!!

Geneva is my top choice too! When did you apply if I may ask? I submitted all my applications (Cornell, IHEID, MIT, Northwestern, OSU, UIUC) way back in October and I haven't received any response yet, except that email from IHEID saying that the result of my application would be moved to March from January. Been waiting since October...?

1 hour ago, afjackie said:

Me too! I had my interview last week and woke up this morning with the official offer. Definitely crossing my fingers that the ESRC pulls through. Congrats !

17 minutes ago, macska said:

Me too! I had my interview last week and woke up this morning with the official offer. Definitely crossing my fingers that the ESRC pulls through. Congrats !

Congrats! And good luck to all those waiting on funding news ❤️

23 minutes ago, macska said:

Ditto to you!! Let me know how things go with your funding, and if you wind up choosing Manchester! (Or Notre Dame as I am interviewing for that as well!)

2 hours ago, civallday said:

Geneva is my top choice too! When did you apply if I may ask? I submitted all my applications (Cornell, IHEID, MIT, Northwestern, OSU, UIUC) way back in October and I haven't received any response yet, except that email from IHEID saying that the result of my application would be moved to March from January. Been waiting since October...?

Oh man, that is so frustrating! I was applying at the normal Jan 15 deadline for Geneva (I think I submitted it around December 27), so I am not expecting to hear until early- to mid-March unfortunately. I was kicking myself for not getting it in before the early decision deadline (Nov 15), but it sounds like it wouldn't have made a difference given your experience. I'm sorry you are having to wait so long, though! I'll let you know if I do hear anything sooner, of course. I also applied to Northwestern, but again didn't get that application in until closer to the deadline (I think I submitted Dec 1). 

Who are you hoping to work with at Geneva and/or Northwestern, if you don't mind me asking? 

I’ve been lurking here for quite some time. I do share the anxiety facing most of us right now! Keep your hope and head up! And a big congrats to those who have heard some great news. Seeing that many of us have talked a little bit about themselves, i’d like to share mine too. 

Due to my financial condition, I could afford to only apply to four places. I decided to take on a perilous “go hard or go home” route ? and applied to Harvard, Cornell, UTAustin, and UF — all CP.

Unfortunately, I assume it’s a no-no for Austin by now as I have heard nothing since some of us here claimed acceptances last week. I intend to focus on specific comparative issues with focus on LatAm and Southeast Asia, so it’s a little bit sad that I didn’t get in there because Austin is quite strong in LatAm politics. Cornell, on the other hand, seems like a good fit and the program itself is very strong in both Southeast Asian and LatAm politics. The POI there is also very nice and gave me several tips on the application (so I really recommend emailing them!). But you know, it’s still Cornell and this year’s going to be hyper competitive for sure... let’s see how it turns out ? I genuinely don’t hope much from Harvard, although the fact that the POI there replied my email with solid responses gives me a slight glimpse of hope ? UF is also such a lovely place and a relatively good fit too. 

One small rant: the time and money we spend on grad school apps are way too much, especially for foreign students whose first language is not English. As a non-US citizen we can’t file for app fees waiver, so that’s around $80-100 per each school you apply to. Plus we have to pay for a standardized English test (TOEFL/IELTS), and that’s additional $180 plus the fees for sending scores to the schools ($20 per each). And of course, the GRE... almost the same exact amount as the English test for foreigners. It’s just quite a lot! I can say with every cent we paid we have every right to be anxious! ?

My (brief) profile: a foreign student doing MA in area studies in a public university in the US. BA from abroad. Currently co-authoring a book with my advisor, under contract with an academic publisher. Was a field journalist for an int’l news agency in Asia and LatAm for three years, plus a couple of years of university-based research experience.  

Edited by pspr

For those who asked about the change on applyweb to U michigan I too have seen a change. I did not have the 'certifile' option previously and I did upload copies of official transcripts that I ordered myself, so I am curious to why there is that option. Could someone clairify? thanks!