2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

1 minute ago, polisci_gal said:

I second this. I'm also really invested in all of your journeys now and can't wait to see where everyone ends up!

Same here! This forum gives me high hopes for current and future scholars breaking the toxicity that can sometimes plague academic life.

3 minutes ago, poliscihopeful2021 said:

I'll just take a moment to say this forum (unlike other Gradcafe portals I've been on previously) is awesome and everyone here is obviously pretty talented. Hope things work out for everyone!

I concur!

12 minutes ago, afjackie said:

Haha, yep, 38 here! I finished my master's when I was 29, and now looking to go back to academia after becoming disenchanted with the policy world. Glad to know I'm not the only one who won't be in their 20s! 

Looks like the only common thread is that everyone feels uncomfortable for being too young or too old. In other words, everyone’s age is just fine 

Edited by loiewo

Truthfully, I'm so excited for the time when I can finally close out this cycle (hopefully with some good news). I know we're all stressed waiting for decisions to finish coming out, but I'm personally making a plan to come back on the forum and re-read some of my posts. I was going through the same thing when I was applying for my masters, and in hindsight it's crazy how impatient + stressed I was back then! Maybe May 2021 me might feel the same way ?

FWIW I've heard from some colleagues who are professors in the UK that the supervisors for the Poli Sci PhD at LSE are notoriously hands off and it's not uncommon for you to meet with supervisors very rarely because they just have too many students. Not sure how true that is in practice, but I definitely took supervisor schemes/expectations more seriously after hearing that.

Just now, Muan1 said:

Any chance Cal gets back today, though? What was their original timeline as stated in the Zoom call?

I mean, it's only 12 PM in Berkeley, so there's still time. But I'm not holding out hope for today. We'll see!

2 minutes ago, macska said:

FWIW I've heard from some colleagues who are professors in the UK that the supervisors for the Poli Sci PhD at LSE are notoriously hands off and it's not uncommon for you to meet with supervisors very rarely because they just have too many students. Not sure how true that is in practice, but I definitely took supervisor schemes/expectations more seriously after hearing that.

For LSE, I can say that's really not the case and it's one of the reasons I wish I would've been able to go back. The ratio of supervisor to PhD student is quite low. For the first couple of years, they meet with you weekly or bi-weekly, as much as you want really. Then once you've actually started writing the PhD dissertation, they allow you more space since you won't actually need them as much. 

Edited by BrownSugar

1 minute ago, macska said:

The trick is to find faculty who finished their grad school in the States and are thus more used to the American style of things! 

Just now, icemanyeo said:

I mean, it's only 12 PM in Berkeley, so there's still time. But I'm not holding out hope for today. We'll see!

Best wishes. I saw on the results thread that one year they were getting back to applicants on Sunday. So who really knows. Admittedly right now I'm enjoying riding out this Schroedingerian moment of uncertainty. I certainly would rather be hopefully waiting for good news than feeling sad because I was rejected. Strange how the mind works.

1 minute ago, loiewo said:

Looks like the only common thread is that everyone feels uncomfortable for being too young or too old. In other words, everyone’s age is just fine 

12 minutes ago, TheLifeofBrian said:

Absolutely. I meant to go back in my 30s but life happened. I've become disenchanted with corporate work. I've wanted to be a researcher and teacher since my early 20s, so I figured it was high time I got my stuff in order. It will be REALLY hard to lose my current salary, but the saying is true, money isn't everything. 

Cheers to both of these! And I'm totally with you, TheLifeofBrian, on both dreading losing my current salary but also knowing in the long run it will be worth it for my happiness. I think almost every prof I talked to leading up to submitting my applications was like...you are a real human with a real job...why in the world would you go back for your PhD now? Haha, but I know it is what I have to do! 

4 hours ago, HolyGinger said:

Just got an acceptance from UAlbany (SUNY) Politics PhD! They said I'm on a short wait list for funding. I really need that, because I can't afford it any other way. Fingers crossed!

This is what happened to me last cycle (at a different school though). My advice is to just make sure that you make it clear that you are excited about the offer and that you want to remain on the waitlist for funding. Not sure if it helps all that much, but definitely helps to show the school that you're still interested. Best of luck and hopefully you get the funding soon!

1 minute ago, BrownSugar said:

For LSE, I can say that's really not the case and it's one of the reasons I wish I would've been able to go back. The ratio of supervisor to PhD student is quite low. For the first couple of years, they meet with you weekly or bi-weekly, as much as you want really. Then once you've actually started writing the PhD dissertation, they allow you more space since you won't actually need them as much. 

Well glad to hear my colleague was misinformed, I guess things have changed since she had formed that opinion!

Wow, got so many responses to my question about where people are applying.  Best of luck everyone!

I applied to to UC Irvine, Johns Hopkins, Boston University, Northwestern, UC Santa Cruz, University of Virginia, University of British Columbia, University of Michigan, UMass Amherst, Cornell, University of Colorado-Boulder, and York University.  

4 minutes ago, Richelieu20 said:

Claiming another admit from MSU. Comparative politics. 

I think having a strong departmental fit worked for me specifically in this case. Good luck to all those who are waiting to hear from other schools!

Congrats on the admit! 

1 minute ago, StarkDark1 said:

Wow, got so many responses to my question about where people are applying.  Best of luck everyone!

I applied to to UC Irvine, Johns Hopkins, Boston University, Northwestern, UC Santa Cruz, University of Virginia, University of British Columbia, University of Michigan, UMass Amherst, Cornell, University of Colorado-Boulder, and York University.  

What's your subfield/areas of interest if you don't mind me asking? I've been wondering if I shouldn't have applied to Boulder...

Hope Irvine results come out soon! And Northwestern of course...

Got good news from MSU.  Hope this is a good start and have more good news this week and next week and next week. If I can receive other good news, I'll make my decision as soon as possible so that other applicants can take the chance.  I'm  such a good good nice guy. lol

Hope I have the chance to do this. Good luck for myself and everybody. (Still being anxious.......)

Hey friends! Popping in to list where I've applied and the status of each as well. Wishing all of you the best of luck!

Pending: Cornell, UC Davis, Syracuse, UConn, Boston College, Vanderbilt, University of Arizona

Admitted: SUNY Albany (like others in this thread, I too was informed that I'm on a shortlist for funding)

Rejected: UCSD, UW- Madison

2 minutes ago, OttoTheOrange said:

Hey friends! Popping in to list where I've applied and the status of each as well. Wishing all of you the best of luck!

Pending: Cornell, UC Davis, Syracuse, UConn, Boston College, Vanderbilt, University of Arizona

Admitted: SUNY Albany (like others in this thread, I too was informed that I'm on a shortlist for funding)

Rejected: UCSD, UW- Madison

I'm super stoked to see so many people applying to Cornell! Wishing all you Cornell applicants good look. Also, as a fellow Vandy applicant lets keep our fingers crossed for getting asked to interview sometime next week!

Just now, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

I'm super stoked to see so many people applying to Cornell! Wishing all you Cornell applicants good look. Also, as a fellow Vandy applicant lets keep our fingers crossed for getting asked to interview sometime next week!

Fingers crossed!! I did research at Cornell after undergrad and I absolutely loved it there, plus I think I'm a good fit, so I'm really hoping for good news.

1 hour ago, Richelieu20 said:

Claiming another admit from MSU. Comparative politics. 

I think having a strong departmental fit worked for me specifically in this case. Good luck to all those who are waiting to hear from other schools!

Congratulations! Best of luck ~

Just now, OttoTheOrange said:

Fingers crossed!! I did research at Cornell after undergrad and I absolutely loved it there, plus I think I'm a good fit, so I'm really hoping for good news.

What professor did you do research with and what subfield are you in?

1 minute ago, OttoTheOrange said:

I was with Dr. Elizabeth Sanders in the Government department back then, and I'm in the American subfield

I only got to work and go to seminars with people in CP and IR during my time here so sadly I can't speak too much about the American side of the department. From what I hear I know it's pretty strong though and you enjoyed your time here researching so hopefully that means you'll be a good fit!