2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

Also got rejected by UCSD. Email to check portal. Bummer. I really thought I had a great fit here too! 

Accepted Rejected Waitlisted Pending

UT Austin, Rice, UCSD, UW Wisconsin, Northwestern, Emory, OSU, UIUC, Chicago, Yale, UC Davis, Vanderbilt, Michigan, Penn State

7 minutes ago, Crossed_fingers said:

Anyone have any optimistic words for me after not receiving an interview request from Colorado Boulder? I thought I had great fit and thought I had a real shot at getting in. 

Sorry to hear about that - I've been browsing through old application threads and from what it looks like it's super hard to determine fit from the outside because you don't know which if people are retiring, if new hires are being made, how many students with your interests are graduating, if the people you wanted to work with are even taking students this yr etc. It all seems like such a lottery with fit - like people could get in one year and not even get an interview in another sort of thing. Also suppose it goes without saying but it's an insanely competitive year. I know it's disheartening but it's still early in the cycle so keep your chin up. Here if you need to talk.

Edited by defcaffeinated

5 minutes ago, Crossed_fingers said:

Anyone have any optimistic words for me after not receiving an interview request from Colorado Boulder? I thought I had great fit and thought I had a real shot at getting in. 

Even if you end up not getting in, don't take it personally, this is an incredibly competitive year, for a process that is always incredibly competitive. When you find yourself in a pool of other good applicants, it's gonna come down to whether the faculty chooses you or them, and this necessarily hinges on some idiosyncrasies of the faculty in the admission committee this year. So chance plays a big role! You will definitely make it somewhere, either this year or next :)

10 minutes ago, Crossed_fingers said:

Are you sure that they’re interviewing all shortlist candidates or just the ones they’re on the fence about? Also maybe not all sub fields are doing interviews? There are a lot of uncertainties around admission and I wouldn’t count yourself out this early! 

2 hours ago, Endor0790 said:

Hey guys, does anyone know if acceptances are exclusively if a DGS/faculty contacts you? Or do acceptances also get posted to portals first. Thinking of expectations when I get an email notification ?

Depends on the uni! Boston U for instance said that it’ll be via the portal. 

Just now, HolyGinger said:

Just got an acceptance from UAlbany (SUNY) Politics PhD! They said I'm on a short wait list for funding. I really need that, because I can't afford it any other way. Fingers crossed!

Congratulations!

3 minutes ago, HolyGinger said:

Just got an acceptance from UAlbany (SUNY) Politics PhD! They said I'm on a short wait list for funding. I really need that, because I can't afford it any other way. Fingers crossed!

Congrats! Hope you get the funding you need and hear about that soon! 

As more decisions come in, I want to reiterate that rejections are not a statement about who you are as an applicant. I am truly amazed at all the wonderful people that have come through this thread, and I'm proud of us all for taking the painstaking time, sweat and tears to craft applications this cycle. If you ever feel the need to rant about this cycle or anything else, DM me! We probably get the same heart attack every time an email notification pops up  ? ?

8 minutes ago, HolyGinger said:

Congratulations!! Wishing you the best of luck :) 

Just now, BrownSugar said:

Hi guys! I made this for future use as we get our decisions and complete our cycle in the next couple of months :) 

I was planning on making this Monday, anxious minds think alike ?

Got an MSU acceptance letter from the DGS with an initial offer! No news from UCSD (rejection or acceptance), so curious about that. Either way, strange time of the day for them to issue decisions period. It's still early in Cali, so I'll attempt to keep any pending decision from them out of my mind today so I don't anxiously refresh my email more than I do already. 

Congratulations to those receiving offers! To those who haven't, @icemanyeo said it best: "...rejections are not a statement about who you are as an applicant." We all have worked so hard to craft these applications and put ourselves out there to get scrutinized and labeled with an artificial "decision." You are not just any particular acceptance or rejection. I know it's likely hypocritical coming from someone who has been admitted to a few places, but I'm just trying to spread positivity as much as possible - especially during a pandemic. You are all great and I cannot wait to have you all as colleagues one day! 

Just now, Endor0790 said:

Hey guys,

As many in this group I got rejected from UCSD. It's my first rejection. Any advice on how not to fall in the thought loop of jumping into the dark conclusion that this is an indication of future results of other programs? Sorry if it's dark lol but anxiety now really has taken over me.

Hey! I got my first decision a couple of weeks ago and it was a rejection, from my alma mater so you can imagine I felt like crap for a while, and I’m still waiting on the rest. Then I realized that the rejection was not a reflection on myself, my intelligence or my worth, or even what other admissions committees would think of me. Each uni is different, each perception they have of you against your competitors will be different; the expectations they’ll have of their cohorts will also vary. Just because one or two or 5 unis reject someone doesn’t mean ALL will. I am sure you will end up in the place that is right for you, in terms of academic fit but also in terms of the right atmosphere for you (like support, mental well-being etc.). 
You have a bright future head of you. Take pride and solace in your work, and just be patient.  :) 

8 minutes ago, Endor0790 said:

Hey guys,

As many in this group I got rejected from UCSD. It's my first rejection. Any advice on how not to fall in the thought loop of jumping into the dark conclusion that this is an indication of future results of other programs? Sorry if it's dark lol but anxiety now really has taken over me.

As far as we know, there are no public acceptances at UCSD yet. Perhaps they will come tomorrow. It wasn’t just you that didn’t get in, so far there have been over 30 applicants rejected, some extremely qualified, and no acceptances.

You shouldn’t feel bad just because you didn’t get in at a particular program. The application process is very idiosyncratic and hard to predict: I thought that I had a great fit at UCSD and had already talked to some faculty, but I guess it wasn’t meant to be. Nonetheless, I had a few pleasant surprises this cycle, with some interviews in places I didn’t expect to get in. Don’t lose hope yet.

I want to point out that there are a ton of rejections in this field - seriously, most professors I know say it's something like 90:10 rejections:acceptances for things like articles, and so on. Sorry this isn't a feel-good message, LOL, but what I'm trying to say is that this is potentially a good practice run for academia where you're rejected all the time.

34 minutes ago, Endor0790 said:

Hey guys,

I can share a bit of my own experience:

When I got my first rejection, I most definitely took it personally. As much as I tried to avoid dealing with my anguish and feelings of loss over it, they were still looming in the back of my head. So I decided to just let my feelings wash over me -- I called up one of my friends and ranted about it for several minutes, ordered my favorite ice cream off UberEats, and watched an episode of RuPaul Drag Race for laughs.

After letting everything go, I went back and rationalized with myself that this was probably one of many rejections to come in academia (w/ publications, other school applications, job applications, grant applications, etc.) and rejections do not define my worth as an academic or as a person. If you have a close friend or even a stranger you can talk to about how you're feeling, I say go for it. But don't wallow for days in anguish because of that first rejection.