2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

3 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

Honestly, I just want to hear from just one institution that I got in -- don't care about hearing from the rest after that, because my heart will be at peace.

Same here, I just want to feel myself safe

8 minutes ago, StarkDark1 said:

Ugh, so much anxiety.  -_- Here I am trying to read Grundrisse and I get intrusive thoughts every 30 seconds about grad school admissions lol

I think Marx got intrusive thoughts every 30 seconds trying to write Grundrisse. ?

2 hours ago, MongoMango412 said:

Hey y'all. New here. Anyone got interview invitations from UCSD? (I didn't, just checking)

I applied to NYU, UCSD, UCLA and Yale btw haha. Anxiously waiting for UCSD (my top choice lol). 

Didn’t hear yet! Desperately waiting for UCSD too. 

I think most schools that are GRE optional will be delayed for a week or two (see Northwestern as an example), so I don't think now is the time to stress. At least this means they must be considering all of our applications which is nice - I was kind of thinking they might throw out applications of people who didn't take the GRE. But a delay indicates otherwise.

5 minutes ago, timeseries said:

I think most schools that are GRE optional will be delayed for a week or two (see Northwestern as an example), so I don't think now is the time to stress. At least this means they must be considering all of our applications which is nice - I was kind of thinking they might throw out applications of people who didn't take the GRE. But a delay indicates otherwise.

I think most of the GRE-optional schools I applied to had mentioned they wouldn't even consider GRE scores, if submitted, as part of the main review process, but rather only later on as supplemental materials to view an application in a more holistic way.

It also wouldn't make any sense to throw out non-GRE applications since I assume most applicants would not submit them because a below average score "might" be seen as a negative.

Hey everyone! I'm getting increasingly anxious as well and seeing we're all in the same boat is a real relief. Hang in there, we'll know soon!! 

I wanted to ask if anyone knows whether schools usually check our LinkedIn profiles. I'm just seeing that someone from one of the schools I applied to has checked my LinkedIn profile and I don't know if that is common or if it's just a coincidence (my privacy settings don't let me see who it was, so maybe it was just a student and it was a plain coincidence). Not that it's really important but I jumped when I saw it on my LinkedIn notifications. Has anyone else had this experience?

10 minutes ago, iamlia said:

Hey everyone! I'm getting increasingly anxious as well and seeing we're all in the same boat is a real relief. Hang in there, we'll know soon!! 

I wanted to ask if anyone knows whether schools usually check our LinkedIn profiles. I'm just seeing that someone from one of the schools I applied to has checked my LinkedIn profile and I don't know if that is common or if it's just a coincidence (my privacy settings don't let me see who it was, so maybe it was just a student and it was a plain coincidence). Not that it's really important but I jumped when I saw it on my LinkedIn notifications. Has anyone else had this experience?

I would assume that unless it's included on your resume/CV, they wouldn't check it. I did have a few people who viewed my LinkedIn profile on private mode at the beginning of the month, but i can't know if it was schools or just regular activity. I did include my LinkedIn on my CV though.

4 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

I would assume that unless it's included on your resume/CV, they wouldn't check it. I did have a few people who viewed my LinkedIn profile on private mode at the beginning of the month, but i can't know if it was schools or just regular activity. I did include my LinkedIn on my CV though.

Yes I thought so! It's on my CV as well. This wait is killing me so now the slightest sign of anything related to those schools makes me even more anxious. 

22 minutes ago, StarkDark1 said:

Where all did y'all apply?

UC Berkeley, UC San Diego, Northwestern, Chicago, MIT, UIUC, Emory, Georgetown, Michigan, Maryland, Rice, Wisconsin
0a/2r/10p

26 minutes ago, StarkDark1 said:

Where all did y'all apply?

Pending: UIUC, Emory, UCSD, U-Michigan, WUSTL, UT-Austin, Princeton, Michigan State, Indiana University, Texas A&M, U-Maryland, Northwestern, U-Iowa

Rejected: UW-Madison

Edited by NeedaMormon