2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

38 minutes ago, applicant19 said:

Hi guys, I am a prospective student like all of you awaiting results. I have been very nervous so far--checking this website hasn't been particularly helpful, but I need to hear from those experiencing the same anxiety/pre-emptive sadness/uncertainty. Does anyone have helpful coping mechanisms for how to not think about this constantly?

I’ve tried to stay off the grid or put my phone away from me but nothing seems to work bc I have to work on my laptop all day anyway and it’s so hard not to refresh this forum every twenty minutes. I found that the only thing that’s working for me is to spend time with families and friends who help take your mind off this (I’m now doing work in the kitchen with my roommate just so they could distract me from this site)

1 hour ago, applicant19 said:

Hi guys, I am a prospective student like all of you awaiting results. I have been very nervous so far--checking this website hasn't been particularly helpful, but I need to hear from those experiencing the same anxiety/pre-emptive sadness/uncertainty. Does anyone have helpful coping mechanisms for how to not think about this constantly?

I’ve been dealing with similar things as you have been, and I’m sorry to hear that you’re in that position because I truly know how annoying and stressful this is. It has taken a toll on my health physically and mentally and I don’t wish that for anyone! 

I think about possible outcomes, and where my future’s headed almost all day. I believe the only time I’m not thinking about those things is when I’m sleeping or completely distracted. I would recommend doing things that usually keep you sane. 

For me, I’m back at college now, so I just try to hang out with people and/or do my current work. Also, I tend to watch a lot of Netflix because it’s a huge distraction! 

Also somedays when I’m feeling exceptionally uncertain and hopeless, I try to do my best to work on the problem by finding alternatives (backups). This makes me feel like I’m in control of my life, and that it won’t be the absolute end of the world if I don’t get into a PhD program this year. 

Hope this helps :) 

1 hour ago, afjackie said:

I was invited to Notre Dame's Political Science and Peace Studies virtual week, and my understanding is they usually invite 12 people as finalists. I think the Peace Studies program admits around 6 students per year, and clearly not all of the 12 accept, so while I'm not taking it for granted, I think that as long as you do well on the interview and take the meetings seriously it is a very good chance you will receive an offer for admissions. I could be wrong, but I'm assuming the straight Political Science PhD is similar. 

I applied last year to ND Sociology and made it to the finalist interviews, and as I was living in Europe at the time, I did a Zoom interview instead of attending the in-person visit day. From my understanding, the most compelling people were offered admission and the rest were placed on a funding waitlist. My guess is that it's similar for poli sci, but I could be wrong.

9 hours ago, polisci_gal said:

I saw that too in my confirmation e-mail, although that seemed to be from the graduate school - so perhaps it depends on the program. I think the Poli Sci department has historically gotten back to applicants at the bitter end of January.... I do know that BU's PoliSci Dept was most likely getting a much smaller cohort of PhDs this year .... I have hope for us tho!

Where did you learn that BU is having a smaller cohort?

23 minutes ago, baby__yoda said:

Did anyone claim a Duke interview on here? Just curious if anyone has info on whether they’re just interviewing finalists or a larger pool. 

I had a Duke interview last week with a POI. I got the impression that I was being seriously considered, but it wasn't clear to me whether they were interviewing all finalists or just the people that they were uncertain about.

19 minutes ago, _nutella_ said:

I had a Duke interview last week with a POI. I got the impression that I was being seriously considered, but it wasn't clear to me whether they were interviewing all finalists or just the people that they were uncertain about.

You're going to kill it this application cycle!

---

I just want to hear from one school. I spoke to a friend of mine at Berkeley and he said that the department (usually) lets them know who they've admitted once the admissions committee has decided and it sounds like he hasn't heard anything (unless he didn't want to be the one to reject me LMAO), so... I don't know how accurate the Berkeley phone calls are!

20 minutes ago, _nutella_ said:

I also had a Duke interview and I felt the same way. I would add that I am not sure if all fields are doing interviews. 

4 minutes ago, baby__yoda said:

I have a friend at a dept who told me how many applicants have been confirmed and I was like “let me know if you see my name among them!” and they replied “oh okay ...” so I can relate ?

Oh wow, there is something to be said for awkward grad students - what a terrible way to deflect.

Edited by timeseries

38 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

Trying to stay away from my email today and the rest of the week so I don't have a heart attack.

giphy.gif

My favourite anti stress activity is listening to the Beach Boys unreleased album from the 1960s. Apparently, some centre’s use it to help people get off bad psychedelic trips. Here’s a link for anyone who might want it! 

I am pretty jealous you're all getting results :D.  In Canada ours are usually mid-March.  And there is no deadlines, so I have heard of people literally getting of wait lists one week before classes start.

Guys, I just spoke to the NW Political Science. No results have been released. I repeat no results have been released by that department. They are hoping to have admission decisions the week of Feb 15th because they are dealing with increased applications this cycle. 

All the decisions posted on the results page for NW and that one person who claimed one here are all trolling. SMH.

Edited by PolNerd

10 minutes ago, PolNerd said:

Guys, I just spoke to the NW Political Science. No results have been released. I repeat no results have been released by that department. They are hoping to have admission decisions the week of Feb 15th because they are dealing with increased applications this cycle. 

All the decisions posted on the results page for NW and that one person who claimed one here are all trolling. SMH.

Thank you so much for checking on Northwestern! I've been stressing hard about that one!!

Edited by afjackie

12 minutes ago, PolNerd said:

I also called NW and can confirm, they said they expect to see them around Feb 15th.

22 minutes ago, PolNerd said:

Also anyone know about OSU funding? Timeline? Zero communication since receiving that form email from the graduate school.

17 minutes ago, ovejal said:

Nothing here either. 

My year results from the school wide funding competition came out in the last week of February. If you don't get funding through that, I'm not sure if the department has their own secondary funding process (that could take more time) or not. 

12 minutes ago, BunniesInSpace said:

My year results from the school wide funding competition came out in the last week of February. If you don't get funding through that, I'm not sure if the department has their own secondary funding process (that could take more time) or not. 

I reached out to the OSU DSG yesterday and she got back to me quickly via email. She said they are working on sending out official emails to all admits but they'll have to wait until mid February to hear back from the University-wide funding competition. At least it means that the acceptance on the portal wasn't a glitch...which was something my anxiety-riddled mind had started to worry about!