2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

11 minutes ago, Polisciguy789 said:

Longtime reader/lurker. Absolutely gutted at my denial from Madison. Feeling like I won’t get in anywhere now. Had an above average GPA/GRE for them too. 

Hey - I'm not sure a message from a stranger even has the potential to impact how you feel but chin up! Sounds like you've still got places to hear from, and this whole process is such a lottery. From 'fit', to potential spaces, to students in your subfield and with your interests graduating, one rejection doesn't necessarily signify more to come. So cliche but I'm sure you have your strengths and that a programme will see that! Good luck for the rest of the cycle. 

7 minutes ago, defcaffeinated said:

Hey - I'm not sure a message from a stranger even has the potential to impact how you feel but chin up! Sounds like you've still got places to hear from, and this whole process is such a lottery. From 'fit', to potential spaces, to students in your subfield and with your interests graduating, one rejection doesn't necessarily signify more to come. So cliche but I'm sure you have your strengths and that a programme will see that! Good luck for the rest of the cycle. 

Definitely appreciate it. Wisconsin was just me top choice and first rejection. I felt better about my chances there than any of the other 6 I applied to. Hopefully folks are right that it’s more about fit in a department than anything else because otherwise I feel kinda screwed

I know I've made a lot of self-deprecating jokes in this thread, but it's still too early to give up hope in the cycle! I know it's hard to do, and I'm trying to follow my own advice here, but don't take rejections personally. Remember -- a rejection is not a verdict on who you are and your accomplishments. There are so many other factors at play, especially during a PANDEMIC(??️ high five to you all for preparing materials and submitting applications during these troubled times)! 

giphy.gif

Edited by icemanyeo

Anyone have guesses as to when Ohio State will put us out of our misery/give some closure? In the past it seems like acceptances and rejections are pretty much back to back but it's been almost a week since the initial wave of acceptances and my status still says pending. 

Edited by gradpumpkin

18 minutes ago, gradpumpkin said:

Anyone have guesses as to when Ohio State will put us out of our misery/give some closure? In the past it seems like acceptances and rejections are pretty much back to back but it's been almost a week since the initial wave of acceptances and my status still says pending. 

Do all departments operate as such, sending out acceptances one day and rejections the next? Maybe they will be sending out another wave of acceptances. Hang in there you got this! I'm sure you'll hear good news

Edited by elnovice

4 minutes ago, polisci_gal said:

Thoughts on when Boston University will sent out acceptances/rejections/waitlists? I have seen in prev. years its generally this week.......

I am expecting later this week or early next week. No telling if it'll be delayed this year though

Edit: I checked the confirmation email I got, and it says decisions will be made by late Spring, so not very helpful given the vagueness. 

Edited by BrownSugar

6 minutes ago, BrownSugar said:

Edit: I checked the confirmation email I got, and it says decisions will be made by late Spring, so not very helpful given the vagueness. 

I saw that too in my confirmation e-mail, although that seemed to be from the graduate school - so perhaps it depends on the program. I think the Poli Sci department has historically gotten back to applicants at the bitter end of January.... I do know that BU's PoliSci Dept was most likely getting a much smaller cohort of PhDs this year .... I have hope for us tho!

1 minute ago, ExileOnMainSt said:

So can we take it for granted neither Princeton nor Berkeley are sending anything out today?

I wouldn't expect Princeton until Thursday or Friday at the earliest given the last few years. Hopefully we're lucky enough to hear tomorrow! 

Just now, BrownSugar said:

I wouldn't expect Princeton until Thursday or Friday at the earliest given the last few years. Hopefully we're lucky enough to hear tomorrow! 

2 minutes ago, ExileOnMainSt said:

So can we take it for granted neither Princeton nor Berkeley are sending anything out today?

I'm expecting Princeton and Berkeley either Friday or Monday next week. But we might be pleasantly surprised, who knows.

1 minute ago, 2020PhD said:

I don't understand why EVERYONE is trying to figure out if the decisions will come out today, tomorrow or Friday.

We all have access to the past years' decision dates. There is no reason to speculate. It helps no one.

True, but with COVID anything is fair play, and I think people are just trying to pass the time.

2 minutes ago, 2020PhD said:

I don't understand why EVERYONE is trying to figure out if the decisions will come out today, tomorrow or Friday.

We all have access to the past years' decision dates. There is no reason to speculate. It helps no one.

If people are curious or it somehow helps them feel better, just let them be! This forum is for everyone and it's meant to be supportive.