2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

11 minutes ago, btermite said:

Anyone claiming any of the Princeton admits that got added today?

Just wondering if I should stay hopeful!

I applied, but haven't heard anything! Curious if anyone in the IR subfield has heard :)

1 minute ago, cbsag123 said:

do programs usually send out offers all at once? throughout a day? throughout a couple days? anybody got any insights?

I believe that they release acceptances all at once.

Edited by plus

Just now, cbsag123 said:

do programs usually send out offers all at once? throughout a day? throughout a couple days? anybody got any insights?

I have no real insight, but I think it's safe to assume that if a school admits people via an email from the DGS, then the admits all come together. 

Does anyone have any insight on Princeton's political economy program? Are admissions usually sent out with the others or is the timing different given that it's half politics, half econ department?

6 minutes ago, _nutella_ said:

Can you link to some threads? 

From a UMass professor (I feel like this is even worse than say Yale - I would have thought that with such a large ugrad program, UMass would need the TA labor) :

In econ, but still (nothing on halving acceptances though):

I saw a  tweet from a Yale grad student/ABD in poli sci months ago saying they were halving their class as well. Twitter sucks when it comes to digging up old tweets, so I'll try and find it but no promises.

Edited by timeseries

3 minutes ago, mypolisciguy said:

Apparently Harvard is reducing it's cohort to 8 this year (I don't know if this is actually true or not though). For reference, it's usually like 20-30.

I was told the same thing by a current student.

I know that it's not necessarily too early for Princeton, I was just wondering there was someone on the thread who was claiming a spot since there were trolls earlier.

Probably just being overly optimistic!

Just now, btermite said:

I know that it's not necessarily too early for Princeton, I was just wondering there was someone on the thread who was claiming a spot since there were trolls earlier.

Probably just being overly optimistic!

Same, but less optimistic 

Truth be told, I am becoming less optimistic as the days pass by. Both the job market and the graduate school app cycle are a bloodbath this year, so there's no reliable "backup" plan to graduate school if you aren't already employed.

Just now, elnovice said:

I would have assumed someone would have claimed it by now on this thread, considering how Austin and NW went. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but someone might be trolling since Princeton was due to come out sometime soon.

I think so too.  It's not too early, but I was thinking we'd hear back on Wednesday at the earliest. Recent data shows they've release results around the 29th. And we've already had trolls for Princeton this cycle. 

I think I'm going to stop checking the survey page. I know this forum is only one step above in terms of verification and anyone could lie here as well, but the survey, man... we just don't know how accurate the entries are, so all it does is raise your blood pressure.

Edited by timeseries

Probably trolls? I mean, in the last ten years Princeton has never sent acceptances before January 28. Plus the increase in applications makes it much more likely that there will either be a delay or that they stick to the original schedule rather than sending out decisions early.