2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

25 minutes ago, funfactgirl said:

Another former lurker who joins in with a question. I just received my grades from the third semester of my master's programme, and therefore an updated version of my transcript. Do you think it's worth e-mailing the updated one to the administration/department? 

And to stay true to my display name: Did you know that Harald Bluetooth, the king that united the kingdom of Denmark, is the origin of the name of Bluetooth? And that their logo is a binding rune merging Harald's initials?

I’m not too sure if it would make difference as initial reviews of applications would have started at basically every uni, and I know that they say they don’t accept materials after the review starts. If it makes you more comfortable, you can still try for your own peace of mind. 

38 minutes ago, funfactgirl said:

Another former lurker who joins in with a question. I just received my grades from the third semester of my master's programme, and therefore an updated version of my transcript. Do you think it's worth e-mailing the updated one to the administration/department? 

And to stay true to my display name: Did you know that Harald Bluetooth, the king that united the kingdom of Denmark, is the origin of the name of Bluetooth? And that their logo is a binding rune merging Harald's initials?

It might be too late for programs with dates from December 1st but the 15th ones onwards and the January deadline ones, you might as well try! It can’t hurt, can it? 

Excellent fun fact! Mine is more cliched, but Cleopatra and Antony are chronologically  closer to this year 2021 than they are to when the Pyramids were built! 

4 hours ago, funfactgirl said:

I forwarded my fall grades after the holidays (around Jan. 1) to each of the programs I applied to -- I'm not sure if they considered them, but most of them added the doc to my file!

7 hours ago, funfactgirl said:

I submitted mine to the programs that allowed me to upload documents at this time through the application portal. Not sure if emailing them would make a difference.

By the patterns from the past could we expect to hear in the forum from Duke, Princeton, and Berkeley next week? I'm just curious regarding the decision release dates as I've looked them up and what our colleagues here in the forum think :)

2 hours ago, sjetp said:

By the patterns from the past could we expect to hear in the forum from Duke, Princeton, and Berkeley next week? I'm just curious regarding the decision release dates as I've looked them up and what our colleagues here in the forum think :)

I definitely think so. I’ve only applied to one of those, but I am anticipating decisions end of next week. 

4 hours ago, sjetp said:

I'd add Emory to this list as well.

Hi everyone. Following a waitlist decision, I received an additional e-mail from a professor in the admission committee stating that I am on the top of the waitlist and she would very much like to admit me. Do you think I will be admitted for sure or is there still a chance that I won't be? 

and I hope we will hear from above mentioned schools next week. Waiting is killing me :D

Edited by Indeed

40 minutes ago, Indeed said:

Hi everyone. Following a waitlist decision, I received an additional e-mail from a professor in the admission committee stating that I am on the top of the waitlist and she would very much like to admit me. Do you think I will be admitted for sure or is there still a chance that I won't be? 

and I hope we will hear from above mentioned schools next week. Waiting is killing me :D

This seems pretty promising. I mean don’t schools kind of plan for at least some of their admits to not accept? So if you’re at the top of the waitlist it seems plausible that you’d get admission, but you can never be 100%. I have hope for you though!!! 

17 hours ago, sjetp said:

Hello all, I like many am anxiously awaiting the Princeton results. While the last three years of data seems to confirm what many are saying regarding next week, I do want to point out that in the submission confirmation email I received they specifically said results would arrive "between February 1 and March 15." This could well be a case of "underpromising" though, as departments are likely free to contact admitted students at their leisure.

My hunch is that we will still get results next week but I personally am trying to mentally prepare to wait an additional week because of this. Hope this two cents helps and good luck to everyone!

43 minutes ago, Habermas said:

Hello all, I like many am anxiously awaiting the Princeton results. While the last three years of data seems to confirm what many are saying regarding next week, I do want to point out that in the submission confirmation email I received they specifically said results would arrive "between February 1 and March 15." This could well be a case of "underpromising" though, as departments are likely free to contact admitted students at their leisure.

My hunch is that we will still get results next week but I personally am trying to mentally prepare to wait an additional week because of this. Hope this two cents helps and good luck to everyone!

Yes, that’s true. But they also mentioned that it is grouped by department within the entire graduate school. So hopefully that means our hunches are correct and our department will send the decision earlier than later, like usual. 

9 minutes ago, wga1 said:

Anyone else feeling tired from being anxious all the time? My muscles ache!

At this point I'm going with the flow and hoping for just one funded admission offer from any of the schools I applied to this cycle. I'm binging Teen Wolf and doing extra work on my master's thesis to distract myself from the admissions releases.

23 minutes ago, wga1 said:

Anyone else feeling tired from being anxious all the time? My muscles ache!

Yes!! I actually now leave my phone in different rooms so I can’t keep checking my email. Been trying to stay busy with painting, watching movies, spending time with my family etc. Definitely recommend keeping busy so you don’t feel as anxious. I am sure you will get good news soon enough! 

11 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

At this point I'm going with the flow and hoping for just one funded admission offer from any of the schools I applied to this cycle. I'm binging Teen Wolf and doing extra work on my master's thesis to distract myself from the admissions releases.

Good luck with your thesis! 

Edit: if anyone has good movie suggestions... Pleaaaase come through haha I particularly like thrillers/horrors (not the gory kind) and comedies. 

Edited by BrownSugar

11 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

doing extra work on my master's thesis to distract myself from the admissions releases.

Good luck with your thesis! I'm taking some course right now which are keeping me busy, but I can't help myself from just opening up a new tab on chrome every now and again to check the portals..........

22 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

I'm binging Teen Wolf and doing extra work on my master's thesis to distract myself from the admissions releases.

Teen Wolf!! I binged/rewatched it this past summer lol. To relax I've been crocheting, working out, and trying to start serious work on my undergrad thesis. Might as well TRY to be productive in this time 

33 minutes ago, BrownSugar said:

if anyone has good movie suggestions... Pleaaaase come through haha I particularly like thrillers/horrors (not the gory kind) and comedies. 

edited: The Cat + A Tale of Two Sisters, two Korean movies that are very psychological horror/thriller.

Edited by icemanyeo

16 minutes ago, spotted said:

Teen Wolf!! I binged/rewatched it this past summer lol. To relax I've been crocheting, working out, and trying to start serious work on my undergrad thesis. Might as well TRY to be productive in this time 

Good luck with your undergrad thesis! Sending all the positive energies you need to complete it and defend it successfully ❤️ 

2 hours ago, Habermas said:

I applied to Princeton too but didn't get a submission confirmation email...worrying. My application says 'submitted' on ApplyWeb and both my references and all of the things on my checklist have submission timestamps so I think I'm okay. May have just been in spam like my LSE emails but still, a bit worried now! Would you mind posting the submission confirmation email here if possible (with personal details omitted if applicable of course)? 

7 minutes ago, defcaffeinated said:

I applied to Princeton too but didn't get a submission confirmation email...worrying. My application says 'submitted' on ApplyWeb and both my references and all of the things on my checklist have submission timestamps so I think I'm okay. May have just been in spam like my LSE emails but still, a bit worried now! Would you mind posting the submission confirmation email here if possible (with personal details omitted if applicable of course)? 

Sure. I would be sure to check your updates tab if you are using gmail--a lot of these form responses seem to head there!

"Your application to the Graduate School at Princeton University has been successfully submitted!

To monitor if all required application materials have been submitted, please review your checklist by visiting http://gradschool.princeton.edu/view-your-checklist

To view the progress and manage your letters of recommendations, visit https://gradschool.princeton.edu/recommendation-letters for more information.

All materials, test scores and letters of recommendations should be in by the deadline for fullest consideration.  Please note, it can take up to 7 business days for test scores to match to your application and the checklist to be updated.

If you are a currently enrolled student and your fall semester grades are not yet available, you may upload your fall semester grades through your checklist once they are available.

Admission decisions will be emailed to all applicants, grouped by department, between February 1 and March 15.

Thank you for applying to Princeton University's Graduate School.

Sincerely,
Graduate Admission
Princeton University
Clio Hall
Princeton, NJ 08544"

1 hour ago, Habermas said:

Sure. I would be sure to check your updates tab if you are using gmail--a lot of these form responses seem to head there!

"Your application to the Graduate School at Princeton University has been successfully submitted!

To monitor if all required application materials have been submitted, please review your checklist by visiting http://gradschool.princeton.edu/view-your-checklist

To view the progress and manage your letters of recommendations, visit https://gradschool.princeton.edu/recommendation-letters for more information.

All materials, test scores and letters of recommendations should be in by the deadline for fullest consideration.  Please note, it can take up to 7 business days for test scores to match to your application and the checklist to be updated.

If you are a currently enrolled student and your fall semester grades are not yet available, you may upload your fall semester grades through your checklist once they are available.

Admission decisions will be emailed to all applicants, grouped by department, between February 1 and March 15.

Thank you for applying to Princeton University's Graduate School.

Sincerely,
Graduate Admission
Princeton University
Clio Hall
Princeton, NJ 08544"

Ah thank you! 

33 minutes ago, baby__yoda said:

I went to check my submission  confirmation email and realized I also don’t have one? I’m not worrying too much because my applyweb portal also says submitted and shows a receipt, but that is a little weird. I do have 3 confirmation emails that my LoR was submitted, so its strange I didn’t receive a general confirmation email. Still I wouldn’t worry too much, I’m sure our apps were submitted! 

Yeah I also had confirmation for all three LoR and payment. Strange, but agreed - not too worried!

As another week of decisions starts in just a few hours (and February, when a lot of decisions are released, is soon coming as well), I want to wish you all best of luck! It’s really comforting to know that I’m not alone in this process and journey and that there are so many people I can reach out to. I also want to remind you to make sure to put yourself first and do whatever you can to minimize your anxieties and stress. I know that whatever happens all of you amazing and brilliant people have great things ahead, and I really hope that we can continue to share great news on this platform!