2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

I think the Princeton results might be fake. For one thing, decisions from them have never been released this early. According to my friend, last time it was on a Wednesday. 

Second, and more importantly, nobody on this forum claimed an acceptance. In past years, plenty of folks on this forum claim their acceptance on the thread. Plenty of people this year have been claiming acceptances from schools on the thread -- no reason to believe that that would stop with Princeton.

Tldr: it's probably a troll, we wait more.

1 minute ago, timeseries said:

Advice:

Get on twitter if you're not already!

I saw this post too yesterday, and it's quite a good one! Fingers crossed that most of us can still have some options to select out. 

Random thought: would people mind sharing some twitter accounts/threads they think are useful? Just hope to get some insightful and updated information - and thanks in advance!

Just now, icemanyeo said:

Any follow recommendations? Not sure who to be following on this.

You mean for grad school advice or in general? I found that tweet by searching "grad school" in the search box. I follow people in my subfield - I find Americanists are pretty active on Twitter - as well as people who are active in other areas (e.g. R Twitter and so on). Whatever your interests are.

4 minutes ago, Muan1 said:

I think the Princeton results might be fake. For one thing, decisions from them have never been released this early. According to my friend, last time it was on a Wednesday. 

Second, and more importantly, nobody on this forum claimed an acceptance. In past years, plenty of folks on this forum claim their acceptance on the thread. Plenty of people this year have been claiming acceptances from schools on the thread -- no reason to believe that that would stop with Princeton.

Tldr: it's probably a troll, we wait more.

Yes, also a little suspicious that they all seem to have been posted before noon today (around when I checked). I understand that some people diligently post/follow grad cafe but I would assume some people would be logging on later in the afternoon to post their results.

7 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

Any follow recommendations? Not sure who to be following on this.

For US and international political analysis, follow my former boss Brian Klaas on Twitter. I was his research assistant this summer and consultant on his new book. He’s particularly astute on matters related to authoritarianism and election rigging.

Edited by scarletwitch

4 minutes ago, Habermas said:

Yes, also a little suspicious that they all seem to have been posted before noon today (around when I checked). I understand that some people diligently post/follow grad cafe but I would assume some people would be logging on later in the afternoon to post their results.

And now someone's claiming a rejection on the results page. Which makes no sense, considering how there's a week delay between admits and rejects. The rejection post also said they checked the program website where it was said there was an "update" to their application, and they found out that they were rejected.

3 minutes ago, Muan1 said:

And now someone's claiming a rejection on the results page. Which makes no sense, considering how there's a week delay between admits and rejects. The rejection post also said they checked the program website where it was said there was an "update" to their application, and they found out that they were rejected.

Yeah things are definitely getting fishy/weird. Rejections never come on the same day as acceptances, and the confirmation email from Princeton explicitly said results will be emailed. 

Just now, BrownSugar said:

Yeah things are definitely getting fishy/weird. Rejections never come on the same day as acceptances, and the confirmation email from Princeton explicitly said results will be emailed. 

I just have no idea what type of person would do this. Adding gasoline to the collective bonfire of grad application anxiety. On another note, I'm totally fine with being rejected from Princeton. I just don't want my cycle to start with an L. 

Just now, Muan1 said:

I just have no idea what type of person would do this. Adding gasoline to the collective bonfire of grad application anxiety. On another note, I'm totally fine with being rejected from Princeton. I just don't want my cycle to start with an L. 

it definitely takes a real crappy person to do that. like what do they even get out of it?

1 minute ago, Muan1 said:

I know, it’s exactly the same thing I thought to myself when the first set of trolling started earlier this month. It’s an awful person, that’s all I can say. 

Just now, ExileOnMainSt said:

If a Princeton troll exists... why only Princeton and nowhere else? 

We could always pass the time speculating about this instead ?

I remember someone mentioning that Columbia and other unis have also been a target of trolls in past years. Why? I have to imagine it has to do with the person(s)’s inner feelings towards themselves. 

Hey all, I am a current grad student, I've been active on this forum in the past, not so much this year. I just wanted to quickly jump in and say that every year there are trolls who post random schools (Princeton, Harvard, Yale, NW, Columbia). It never makes any sense and is unfortunately just something we all have to live with. 

The internet is full of bored, lonely, and mean people who have way too much time on their hands. Unfortunately, one of them picked this specific community to troll. They do it every year. 

On another note, I wish you all the best of luck during this process! It is stressful as hell, I can't imagine what its like doing this during a pandemic. You all are amazingly smart and talented. 

6 minutes ago, ExileOnMainSt said:

If a Princeton troll exists... why only Princeton and nowhere else? 

We could always pass the time speculating about this instead ?

Maybe they're doing "visualization" exercises like "The Secret". Hoping their thoughts will become their reality. That's what Im going with. 

Just now, gradpumpkin said:

Congrats! Did you interview?

Yes, I interviewed on the 20th.

Also, to give the info I usually ask people for -- I received an email notif from the department chair and I'm in the IR subfield.