2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

1 minute ago, timeseries said:

I think I'm going to stop checking the survey page. I know this forum is only one step above in terms of verification and anyone could lie here as well, but the survey, man... we just don't know (and that's the problem isn't it)?!

I would do that too. Additionally, GradCafe or really another other forum (Reddit, PSR) will never be representative of the actual number of admits/waitlists. I also think some places might just have chosen very small cohorts this year due to pandemic budget constraints.

Just now, cbsag123 said:

this is really a rollercoaster of emotions

There's currently a major leak in my apartment building that's just raining down through our stairs, if you want to know how my week is going.

8 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

Truth be told, I am becoming less optimistic as the days pass by. 

Honestly same @icemanyeo I'm trying to keep the faith but with tweets from various professors across the country expressing how qualified candidates won't be admitted due to budget cuts doesn't really boost my confidence. All I can say is February is going to be an excruciating month waiting to hear back from the various programs. Ugh. C'est la vie, I guess.

Just now, polisci_gal said:

Honestly same @icemanyeo I'm trying to keep the faith but with tweets from various professors across the country expressing how qualified candidates won't be admitted due to budget cuts doesn't really boost my confidence. All I can say is February is going to be an excruciating month waiting to hear back from the various programs. Ugh. C'est la vie, I guess.

At least being pessimistic means I can be happy if I get at least one piece of good news!

Just now, plus said:

You only need one acceptance. Even overqualified candidates will receive more rejections than acceptances, so you shouldn't freak out if you got some rejections first.

I know -- My fear lies with the funding part of the admissions equation for some schools. Getting one acceptance and being unable to attend because of personal budget constraints is my biggest fear at the moment.

38 minutes ago, cbsag123 said:

do programs usually send out offers all at once? throughout a day? throughout a couple days? anybody got any insights?

Given the gradcafe pattern, it’s usually all in one day. Last year was the exception, I believe it was two days. 

Just now, elnovice said:

Same here. I won't be able to attend graduate school if it's not fully-funded

Yup! And one of the schools I'm feeling optimistic about already told me they're having difficulties funding international students this year due to the pandemic.

To summarise, I personally think that these result releases from Princeton not only have a history with severe trolling on this site but are also being sent out (if real) sort of earlier than expected in this bloodbath of a year. We cannot really be sure of a rejection until we get one. Basically we're all like this and condemned to stay like this:

edc676dc67dc1129f5fa0d773e9064b3.gif

7 minutes ago, NeedaMormon said:

I just need to harness all this stress/email checking into something productive, like actually focusing on my last undergrad classes, or working on my Animal Crossing island.

I skipped one day of Animal Crossing and haven't played for like 3 months now lol.