2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

11 minutes ago, gradpumpkin said:

Anyone claiming the Texas admit? Seems a bit early. 

I can claim one as well. I was admitted this morning for IR. Definitely surprised with how early it came too. 

Edited by NotaDoctorShh

1 hour ago, polisci_gal said:

SAME. I know we're all in the same boat. It still feels like each day is soooo long waiting to see if you got an e-mail or not. I know it's still too early to be panicking as a lot of programs will probably send out admissions in February, but i can't help myself from refreshing all day :(

I'm panicking because I finally got my fall transcript for my master's (Chinese academic calendar, yay!) but I'm not sure it can even be sent in at this point.

5 minutes ago, NotaDoctorShh said:

I can claim one as well. I was admitted this morning for IR. Definitely surprised with how early it came too. 

Congrats haha!

5 minutes ago, _nutella_ said:

Claiming one too.

Congrats!

13 minutes ago, plus said:

I do. Just received the e-mail.

Congratulations!

5 minutes ago, Crossed_fingers said:

Is it just me or are Americanists underrepresented in the admission offers we’ve seen here so far?

I was told by a very experienced faculty member at Cornell that being an Americanist is the luckiest thing when it comes to PhD admissions. He said that the number of candidates who want to work on American Politics is way lower than IR or CP. In that sense, I believe the adcoms are reviewing applications by subfields so maybe in the next couple of weeks, we'll see more AP admissions.

Just now, Richelieu20 said:

I was told by a very experienced faculty member at Cornell that being an Americanist is the luckiest thing when it comes to PhD admissions. He said that the number of candidates who want to work on American Politics is way lower than IR or CP. In that sense, I believe the adcoms are reviewing applications by subfields so maybe in the next couple of weeks, we'll see more AP admissions.

I wonder if it might be that it's more difficult for an international applicant to succeed with AP applications compared to a domestic student, especially given the job market and the immigration hurdles to work in the US (since AP would be most applicable in American universities) so instead they flock to CP/IR where they might have a language advantage/more worldwide employability? 

25 minutes ago, NotaDoctorShh said:

24 minutes ago, _nutella_ said:

Claiming one too.

33 minutes ago, plus said:

I do. Just received the e-mail.

Congratulations! Are your subfields all IR? Mine is CP and i’m still waiting to hear back. Wondering if all the acceptances from all subfields are sent all at once or it depends on the subfield (or i’m trying to soothe my anxiety and upcoming rejection ?). 

Edited by ppsr

1 minute ago, ppsr said:

Congratulations! Are your subfield all IR? Mine is CP and i’m still waiting to hear back. Wondering if all the acceptances from all subfields are sent all at once or it depends on the subfield (or i’m trying to soothe my anxiety and upcoming rejection ?). 

Comparative (LatAm)

AP/Methods here, I didn't get accepted to UT Austin but was put on the waitlist. A little disappointing but that's ok, this is still my first decision to come in. Congrats to all of y'all who got accepted!

Congrats to the UT Austin admits! We're a lovely department, and I do hope you consider joining. :)

To those on the waitlist: I can't give any insight on your chances of getting admitted, as it depends on subfield/potential advisor/how many people accept their offers, which may be impacted by COVID, etc. As someone who was admitted off the waitlist, I would just note that the best thing that I did for my chances was attend the admitted students' day and introduce myself to the faculty that I was interested in working with. Good luck!!

16 minutes ago, Grad Apps Aren't Fun said:

Congrats to the UT Austin admits! We're a lovely department, and I do hope you consider joining. :)

To those on the waitlist: I can't give any insight on your chances of getting admitted, as it depends on subfield/potential advisor/how many people accept their offers, which may be impacted by COVID, etc. As someone who was admitted off the waitlist, I would just note that the best thing that I did for my chances was attend the admitted students' day and introduce myself to the faculty that I was interested in working with. Good luck!!

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience. Do you have any idea how many students UT Austin is going to take this year?

21 minutes ago, Grad Apps Aren't Fun said:

Any insights on whether more admits might roll in later in the day? Felt really confident about this one and my status on the site still lists pending...

41 minutes ago, Habermas said:

Any insights on whether more admits might roll in later in the day? Felt really confident about this one and my status on the site still lists pending...

Their website says they admit about 50 people (in normal circumstances). If they're doing individualized emails and sending acceptances AND waitlists today, it definitely would take more than just the morning to complete. My guess is they'll come in throughout today and then rejections in the next day or two, based on previous trends.