2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

22 minutes ago, gradpumpkin said:

Their website says they admit about 50 people (in normal circumstances). If they're doing individualized emails and sending acceptances AND waitlists today, it definitely would take more than just the morning to complete. My guess is they'll come in throughout today and then rejections in the next day or two, based on previous trends. 

I hope you're right, but in my opinion they probably send the acceptances first and then the waitlists. It looks like they've moved on to waitlists a while ago now. 

20 minutes ago, loiewo said:

I hope you're right, but in my opinion they probably send the acceptances first and then the waitlists. It looks like they've moved on to waitlists a while ago now. 

I didn't see a lot of American or Theory acceptances for UT-Austin, so perhaps they are rolling out decisions by subfield. Hopefully we do see some more acceptances in the coming days.

Edited by elnovice

20 minutes ago, elnovice said:

I didn't see a lot of American or Theory acceptances for UT-Austin, so perhaps they are rolling out decisions by subfield. Hopefully we do see some more acceptances in the coming days.

I cannot speak to American, but I have a friend who was accepted into UT-Austin today who is in the theory field. At least when it concerns theory, their relatively small share of the aggregate applicant pool likely accounts for the lack of messages on these threads. Further, in my experience, programs do not send out decisions at different times for different fields. Considering that, from what I have been told, admissions committees generally meet as an entire group to determine final acceptances and that a program administrator is responsible for actually sending the emails, it would not make sense for a IR applicant to be admitted before an American applicant. The exception to this is an informal acceptance, which generally comes in the form of a professor emailing you to inform you of your acceptance before the program releases their formal acceptances. This is done so as to keep applicants up to date as more schools begin to release their decisions.

1 hour ago, mypolisciguy said:

Guys. Just because someone is in a grad program doesn't mean they have any insights whatsoever on the current admissions process.

I can attest to this sentiment. Grad students are not involved in the admissions department in any capacity. Our insight generally comes in the form of our experience from our experience as applicants and the information we pick up off-hand from those who have been on admissions committees. As to the when decisions will be released, your best guide is when decisions were released in prior years.

8 minutes ago, Muan1 said:

Perhaps the theory admits have also communicated that they have been accepted. But, true to the Straussian principles of Austin, they've coded their acceptance to be only comprehensible to those who know...

Yes, in order to see if your acceptance status, you have to find it in the texts of the great ancients. There, you shall find the map to Austin and Boston College.

Edited by HobbesianKant

Just now, HobbesianKant said:

Yes, in order to see if your acceptance status, you have to find it in the texts of the great ancients. There, you shall find the map to Austin and BC.

And to gain acceptance you must communicate in your SOP that you will refuse any stipend/funding, because otherwise you're just a social scientist allegiant to biological necessity.

4 minutes ago, timeseries said:

Congrats on UT Austin for those who received good news.

I was hoping we might get news about Berkeley today, but I now think that is wishful thinking.

Honestly I was hoping Rice would send something today. I don't expect Berkeley for another two weeks.

3 minutes ago, ExileOnMainSt said:

Historically, Berkeley has come by the end of Jan, I believe. 

IIRC the data from the last few years shows that, but I wonder if COVID delays that. I think last year was Jan 30th for a bunch of results uploaded to GradCafe.

4 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

IIRC the data from the last few years shows that, but I wonder if COVID delays that. I think last year was Jan 30th for a bunch of results uploaded to GradCafe.

So far most results seem to be on track irrespective of Covid, right? I’m hoping that continues to be the case!

2 minutes ago, timeseries said:

Acceptances last year came out on Jan 26, so I hope we get news soon!

I was also hoping for Berkeley today... I hate to reveal just how much energy I've put into analyzing gradcafe results, but I believe that UT and Berkeley announced on the same day the last two years. I was hoping that trend would continue. 

But it is still midday on the west coast, so I say we keep the dream alive for a few more hours ? 

Congrats on everyone who's received an admission this week!

I was really hoping to hear back from Emory this week, but it seems like that will have to wait. Not holding my breath for Berkeley either. At least for the next couple days I can chill out, see you all on Monday!

2 hours ago, nightowlll said:

Anyone received an invitation for GPS student conversations at UCSD? I haven't received a decision yet, so I feel strange about the email.

I got that too! I think it's just because we're signed up for their mailing list. Gave me a heart attack when I got it though.

4 minutes ago, FingersCrossed2021 said:

I got that too! I think it's just because we're signed up for their mailing list. Gave me a heart attack when I got it though.

Oh, okay. This is wired actually. It should be sent to admitted students after they made a decision haha

I recalled tremendous nervousness at this point one year ago: I was hectically checking my mailbox every 5...well, at times every two minutes. It was really, really torturous... 
So, hang in, guys!- I'm sure, next year, in hindsight, the majority of you will be remembering these days with a smile while learning the bedrocks of theory building and examining linear regressions :)

I got waitlisted for Austin as well. IR primary, CP secondary. 

I really thought I didn’t have much of a chance here and I was delighted to not see a reject. For me, this particular school is pretty great, and I know they sent their admits today as well.

I just want to request everyone: at whatever point you know for sure that you’ve accepted some other offer and not coming to UT Austin for sure, then please don’t leave the decision hanging, and just decline, cause a lot of other futures depend on that :) 

8 minutes ago, PolNerd said:

Got put on "a short waitlist" for Rice. Oh well. 7 more pending. Congrats on all who received admission!

Exact same email. Wonder how short it really is. I have received two waitlist emails today, and apparently I'm good, but not good enough I guess...