2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

7 minutes ago, nivy25 said:

Exact same email. Wonder how short it really is. I have received two waitlist emails today, and apparently I'm good, but not good enough I guess...

I hope super short! I hope people who aren't going to accept will decline soon. I hope you're able to get in at Austin or Rice.

This may get lost in all of the results, but I read this advice piece from Justin Grimmer (a Stanford poli sci professor) yesterday: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/56cbca73e707ebc39cef7c52/t/5fb56fe1351dd83f652e32ff/1605726177551/Kanye.pdf It looks like a very good guide, take a look if you haven't already.

5 minutes ago, PolNerd said:

I hope super short! I hope people who aren't going to accept will decline soon. I hope you're able to get in at Austin or Rice.

I hope so! And yes, people should honestly decline if they're not going for sure. Like there's a lot at stake for others at this point ? 

I hope you get in too :)

Hey all!

So I am a senior at UIUC and have applied to a couple of school psychology programs. Today I received some news that I have gotten an interview extended to me by Illinois State, so that is pretty exciting. I also had an open house, virtually, with Eastern Illinois University today. However, I am having some doubts about myself. Has anyone felt that when they see their competition (as I met some of the people at the open house and heard their stories) that they are not as special or should be in the position that they are at?

I would love some interview advice, just general advice on how to keep your head up in a competitive world, or on graduate school admissions and the chance of getting in if offered an interview!

2 minutes ago, ndhafner said:

Hey all!

So I am a senior at UIUC and have applied to a couple of school psychology programs. Today I received some news that I have gotten an interview extended to me by Illinois State, so that is pretty exciting. I also had an open house, virtually, with Eastern Illinois University today. However, I am having some doubts about myself. Has anyone felt that when they see their competition (as I met some of the people at the open house and heard their stories) that they are not as special or should be in the position that they are at?

I would love some interview advice, just general advice on how to keep your head up in a competitive world, or on graduate school admissions and the chance of getting in if offered an interview!

Hi, I don't know how much advice we will be able to offer as this is the political science thread. I think there is a psychology forum on here as well - I'd go check that out if I were you.

Edited by timeseries

Saw that some rejections from Boston College were posted on the results list today. I know that there was one acceptance posted for IR a few days ago (though nobody's claimed anything in the forum). Do they usually send rejections before acceptances? Does it vary by sub-field? What do people think?

It seems uncharacteristically early for any news -- in past years most action seems to happen around early-mid Feb for BC.

Edited by Muan1

17 minutes ago, ovejal said:

Have any Ohio State admits gotten anything except the portal acceptance yet? Seems odd that they wouldn't have sent any sort of email yet, although I have read the above messages about the unique funding process. 

This is not the first year for me to apply. Based on my previous experiences, some programs send rejections after acceptances. Maybe they change this year, idk. Feel sad about myself.

2 minutes ago, Muan1 said:

Saw that some rejections from Boston College were posted on the results list today. I know that there was one acceptance posted for IR a few days ago (though nobody's claimed anything in the forum). Do they usually send rejections before acceptances? Does it vary by sub-field? What do people think?

It seems uncharacteristically early for any news -- in past years most action seems to happen around early-mid Feb for BC.

Hey everyone! I am checking in after lurking for a bit. I also was wondering about Boston College. In 2018, it looks like there was a rejection and acceptance posted this early. But I am not sure. I am American subfield. Hopefully no news is good news for us. 

11 minutes ago, insightfulramblings said:

Hey everyone! I am checking in after lurking for a bit. I also was wondering about Boston College. In 2018, it looks like there was a rejection and acceptance posted this early. But I am not sure. I am American subfield. Hopefully no news is good news for us. 

And to be honest, psychologically, I feel like sending rejections first (on one day), admits second (on another day) is the way to go. Suppose that the opposite method were employed (like Princeton): people are posting acceptances, and now you are spending the whole day anxious over whether you will get one, too. Then suppose that you don't, and now you're just left feeling disconsolate expecting an imminent rejection email the next week.

Using the first method, you're not anxiously awaiting any emails on the day rejections are meant to be sent. And when you don't get any news, you're automatically elated because you know you're going to get an acceptance email the second round.

This of course presupposes that each subfield would release results in a synchronized method: rejects the same day, admits the other. 

It's unfortunate this system isn't employed. I feel like graduate programs would do their applicants many favors (and preempt many endless inquiries) by simply announcing a date for admissions and a date for rejections, much like undergraduate colleges. Wondering what you guys think.

Edited by Muan1

I honestly don’t think grad school departments think that deeply about it. Maybe it takes them an extra day to sort through waitlists and rejections. The fact that we even know that others are getting in is relatively new as well - since 2008 or whenever this site started.

ETA: I don’t think the standardized dates work well either. This isn’t their job, whereas undergrad admissions do that full time, so they can more reasonably set expectations for timing. Profs OTOH have way more priorities that take precedence.

Edited by timeseries

3 minutes ago, timeseries said:

I honestly don’t think grad school departments think that deeply about it. Maybe it takes them an extra day to sort through waitlists and rejections. The fact that we even know that others are getting in is relatively new as well - since 2008 or whenever this site started.

This + why should they really care? Programs are going to do what's convenient for them, the professors on the committee, and the staff. 

5 minutes ago, mypolisciguy said:

This + why should they really care? Programs are going to do what's convenient for them, the professors on the committee, and the staff. 

Very good point! Wow, hadn't really thought about it along those lines.

Edited by Muan1

40 minutes ago, Muan1 said:

And to be honest, psychologically, I feel like sending rejections first (on one day), admits second (on another day) is the way to go. Suppose that the opposite method were employed (like Princeton): people are posting acceptances, and now you are spending the whole day anxious over whether you will get one, too. Then suppose that you don't, and now you're just left feeling disconsolate expecting an imminent rejection email the next week.

Using the first method, you're not anxiously awaiting any emails on the day rejections are meant to be sent. And when you don't get any news, you're automatically elated because you know you're going to get an acceptance email the second round.

This of course presupposes that each subfield would release results in a synchronized method: rejects the same day, admits the other. 

It's unfortunate this system isn't employed. I feel like graduate programs would do their applicants many favors (and preempt many endless inquiries) by simply announcing a date for admissions and a date for rejections, much like undergraduate colleges. Wondering what you guys think.

I always think sending rejections prior to acceptances is more reasonable, but unfortunately many programs or grad schools don't do the way ?‍♂️

5 minutes ago, nightowlll said:

I always think sending rejections prior to acceptances is more reasonable, but unfortunately many programs or grad schools don't do the way ?‍♂️

Yes, but apparently graduate programs are going to do what's convenient for them. Some might object to this justification by reminding us that just because we are predisposed to doing what we find pleasant or convenient for us doesn't mean that we ought not care about the interests of others. Oh well!

Edited by Muan1

I personally would like to think adcoms do it this way bc they take admissions/rejections seriously. i.e. they’re gonna send out a number of admits that they are sure of and screen through the rest of applications  and slowly roll out more admits/rejects. Sure that adds to our anxiety as applicants but it may also be of some comfort to know that they don’t reject ppl right away. 

Seems like Rice sent admissions decisions today, given the updates in GradCafe. Gonna assume a rejection for this one since I haven't gotten any email or portal change :(

1 hour ago, icemanyeo said:

Seems like Rice sent admissions decisions today, given the updates in GradCafe. Gonna assume a rejection for this one since I haven't gotten any email or portal change :(

same ? I also wanna assume the same about Northwestern. Welp, 10 more schools to go...

6 minutes ago, spotted said:

same ? I also wanna assume the same about Northwestern. Welp, 10 more schools to go...

7 for me and not feeling too optimistic about the rest ?

9 hours ago, ovejal said:

Have any Ohio State admits gotten anything except the portal acceptance yet? Seems odd that they wouldn't have sent any sort of email yet, although I have read the above messages about the unique funding process. 

I have just got a long email from Graduate and Professional Admissions (I think it's mostly meant for international students) that explains that next steps. It starts like this:

"Dear Richelieu20:

Congratulations! We are pleased to offer you admission to the Political Science, Doctor of Philosophy program at The Ohio State University for the autumn 2021 semester on the Columbus campus. ..."

Edited by Richelieu20

Another former lurker who joins in with a question. I just received my grades from the third semester of my master's programme, and therefore an updated version of my transcript. Do you think it's worth e-mailing the updated one to the administration/department? 

And to stay true to my display name: Did you know that Harald Bluetooth, the king that united the kingdom of Denmark, is the origin of the name of Bluetooth? And that their logo is a binding rune merging Harald's initials?

2 hours ago, icemanyeo said:

Oof, let's see what happens!

I think Berkeley will be giving out offers for several different programs next week, as I’ve applied there for History and just saw that someone posted a rejection email they got from their POI yesterday so most likely those decisions are coming this upcoming week! 

Edited by scarletwitch