2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

Rejected from UCSD sadly. i have friends there so i was really hoping to get an acceptance, but that's how this goes i guess. On the bright side, I was emailed recently about an interview with CU Boulder so I'm looking forward to that!

Congrats to everyone who got in!

Also rejected from UCSD. I was not a good fit so I cannot say I am surprised, but it is still sad to start the process like this. Congratulations for those who were accepted! 

Edited by Sad Politics

4 hours ago, icemanyeo said:

By the way, did anyone apply to Princeton's Pre-Doctoral Fellowship for Politics?

Yes I did, tho I am in theory so don’t really see the point of being a research assistant. Applied anyway just to maximize my chance of ending up somewhere ?

On a more positive note, BTW and FYI, it seems that WUSTL are looking closely at the applications these days - somebody from Missouri has entered my website on Monday (I added a link to it in my CV). Its nice to know there is progress, and that they actually show interest and read materials...

13 minutes ago, passionatelobotomist said:

Does UCSD typically send out rejections before acceptances? Haven’t received an email and my portal still says submitted. 

Usually acceptances are a day earlier or on the same day. There were a few years a while back when rejections came earlier and acceptances quickly followed. If you haven't received a rejection then I would take it as positive sign. If they stick to posting acceptances together with rejections you will anyway hear soon, although they usually only post results on the third of February - so its just a crazy year and this might be the first round of rejections while they try to minimize the application pile. 

Edited by AHD

25 minutes ago, AHD said:

On a more positive note, BTW and FYI, it seems that WUSTL are looking closely at the applications these days - somebody from Missouri has entered my website on Monday (I added a link to it in my CV). Its nice to know there is progress, and that they actually show interest and read materials...

Usually acceptances are a day earlier or on the same day. There were a few years a while back when rejections came earlier and acceptances quickly followed. If you haven't received a rejection then I would take it as positive sign. If they stick to posting acceptances together with rejections you will anyway hear soon, although they usually only post results on the third of February - so its just a crazy year and this might be the first round of rejections while they try to minimize the application pile. 

Including a website/linkedin on a CV is such a good way of lowkey probably knowing when your application is being looked at (I know that's not why people do it, but what a nice side benefit haha!) 

3 hours ago, AHD said:

ah, at last, someone who applied to WashU too! I was a bit surprised to see that they usually send acceptances mid-February, when the application closes on Jan 15. But if it is already at that stage, it might be on track this year too!

50 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Now I'm really dubious about fit v.s. covid-related competitiveness.

17 minutes ago, Angelo X said:

Yeah, it seems to me that the so-called "fit matters"theory doesn't work for this year.

I wanted to chime in on fit/this cycle! I think fit does matter quite a lot, but given the competitiveness of this year there will inevitably be places in which we feel we are strong fits but still–with increased app numbers + (sometimes) reduced cohorts– it may not work out. I do think fit remains important, however, as it is essential to one getting the research background and having the necessary advising to produce the best dissertation possible in the program. 

I have no real insight on this (from an adcom or anything), but would expect that there will be many strong candidates with strong fits that would get in any other year but essentially with the COVID numbers it doesn't work out. So, please do not discount yourself or your gauge of your own fit!

Closing out with some good (peaceful, distracting, non-application-related) vibes as we enter into another day of the wait™️

Edited by brickinthewall