2021 Acceptance Thread

HomoLudens

Just now, PolPhil said:

That's great news. Did you apply to both programs?

I had only applied to the M.A. because to apply to the Ph.D. you need a Master's (which I do not have), but I guess they liked my application enough to petition the Graduate School to make an exception--a huge honor, and it still doesn't feel real. Guaranteed four years of funding, but exact details will be in the official letter (which I have not yet received)

1 minute ago, somethingwitty said:

I had only applied to the M.A. because to apply to the Ph.D. you need a Master's (which I do not have), but I guess they liked my application enough to petition the Graduate School to make an exception--a huge honor, and it still doesn't feel real. Guaranteed four years of funding, but exact details will be in the official letter (which I have not yet received)

Wow, good for you. Good luck!

On 2/19/2021 at 11:42 AM, polemicist said:

Yikes, likely bad news for my Oxford applications.

I haven't seen anyone claim acceptances to the MSt in Practical Ethics yet... do you think they've sent all acceptances for that out already? 

MSt PE applications are not even closed yet. Acceptances go out later than the rest of the phil programmes. 

On 1/30/2021 at 11:46 AM, meowmeowcinnamonbuns said:

CMU is mine, and it's real. Definitely felt very early to me! The professor who emailed me said they just met today to decide (I would assume that emails to the other 7 may not all have gone out on a friday night? I'd think it quite possible). I included the numbers since I know at some point I will be rejected, and I will be grateful for someone else posting that I'm in good, numerous company. 

I just wanted to say -- after I submitted my application, I discovered this site, and couldn't help but compare myself to the people posting. I had applied for the master's, and decided to check the PhD box on a whim, because wouldn't that be amazing? I have little background in philosophy itself, no research, no published papers, no fancy grad seminars. My SOP was more a frolic through things that delight me than a coherent research statement. 

When I read here, I was SO impressed by everyone's accomplishments and focus. It seemed beyond belief that undergrads could be so put-together. I thought, wow, they're going to think I'm such an idiot, just for daring to submit my application amongst such quality, dedicated candidates. Away I went, thinking I've got no chance. Well, at least I tried, at least I had fun writing my silly essay! 

I was SHOCKED to get the email. Still am. (only reason I don't think it's a fluke is that it's very personalized). Have I mentioned - no philosophy since high school, no grad classes, no papers published, no "research agenda". My application was essentially a list of things I've done that've made me happy, and things that I hope will make me happy in the future.

I just wanted to write this in case someone sees it in the future, to realize that there is hope and there is a chance, that they should go for it and not be afraid by the grandiose things they read! If I hadn't decided to apply before looking here, I might very well not have. 

So, in the middle of all this stress for many, best of luck to all of you! It seems to me now that there really is a chance for everyone, which warms my heart immensely. (and I know that sadly, many qualified people lose in this lottery, which i expect to do on my other application lol. only I won't even be qualified!)

Anyone with any updates regarding CMU? Other than this acceptance post, I've not seen anyone else claim anything from CMU, be it acceptance, waitlist, or rejection... The anxiety is killing me :(  

Hello!

Does anybody know if all acceptances to Purdue have been sent? I noticed that someone claimed to be accepted, and someone also has been rejected. So, I am confused....

On 2/21/2021 at 10:19 PM, MtnDuck said:

I believe 2-3 others reported WL for funding whilst 3 folks reported acceptances. I know one person who was accepted was also accepted to Notre Dame and two other places and another has 2A and 2WL currently. No indicated movement from folks who were accepted yet but it seems possible that at least 1-2 could end up going elsewhere fwiw.

I am exactly in your situation! Or maybe youre exactly in my situation!?

On 2/23/2021 at 6:08 PM, Larry David said:

What is the deal with the University of Missouri. It appears that acceptances have gone out?? Has anyone received a waitlist offer from them? 

I had promising feedbacks as I submitted my application. But I haven't got any emails yet. 

On 2/18/2021 at 4:51 AM, coreaffect said:
Accepted to Simon Fraser, including full funding, travel funds, and the special graduate entrance scholarship. I am surprised: my writing sample was extremely niche, disallowing me to gauge how the committee would view it. Whatever the case, I am glad they found my research outline appealing, as I was nervous about this a month ago.

Edited by Hamid.ir

On 3/4/2021 at 8:36 PM, Larry David said:

I am also curious about the situation at Purdue. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

I received an acceptance email this past week and I believe one other person on fb claimed an acceptance as well. 

On 3/4/2021 at 8:32 AM, GD25 said:

Hello!

Does anybody know if all acceptances to Purdue have been sent? I noticed that someone claimed to be accepted, and someone also has been rejected. So, I am confused....

I, unfortunately, don’t know about the remainder of their acceptance offers. 
Sorry, I’m not much more help. 

best of luck!

2 hours ago, crazyfastskills said:

I received an acceptance email this past week and I believe one other person on fb claimed an acceptance as well. 

best of luck!

Thank you!  It actually helped, they do not seem to send any more offers this year.

Any word on Harvard, NYU, or Princeton. Seems to be some confusion as to whether people have  received notifications of various types from these places (especially Princeton, wherein an acceptance appears to have been falsely reported here on grad cafe).

Edited by musicdegree4me

1 hour ago, musicdegree4me said:

Any word on Harvard, NYU, or Princeton. Seems to be some confusion as to whether people have  received notifications of various types from these places (especially Princeton, wherein an acceptance appears to have been falsely reported here on grad cafe).

There are reports on acceptance and waitlist to NYU in the Facebook group. 

I am also curious about Harvard, since someone claimed a rejection from Harvard last week, but it seems the majority of us don't hear anything from them. 

On 3/4/2021 at 8:32 AM, GD25 said:

Hello!

On 3/7/2021 at 12:56 AM, crazyfastskills said:

best of luck!

I received a waitlist offer from Purdue this morning. Do you know if you (and the other person on FB) plan to accept the offer? No pressure, I just want to calculate the likelihood. 

Thanks!