2021 Acceptance Thread

HomoLudens

8 minutes ago, vx138 said:

Does anyone know how I can get on the facebook group? I made a facebook just in order to join the group, but it seems like the moderator either didn't accept my request or hasn't seen it. 

Might take a while if all the mods are in class/offline. Next time I see one of them on I'll DM them to let them know someone is waiting to join!

13 minutes ago, wanderingparthian said:

Wow, did someone really hear that they were accepted at NYU already?

Unlikely. I think someone is being an jerk and submitting BS reports. Same with the CMU one tbh though they had some additional info...448018138_ScreenShot2021-01-29at6_11_26PM.thumb.png.1b68d858d3321ac52c0ac4ec7c7627c2.png

4 minutes ago, wwfrd said:

Do we think the CMU posting is also fake? It would certainly be earlier than most years.

I think it's unlikely. They do usually release on a Friday so it could be an early fellowship offer and the fact that they delayed the semester start may mean they read through things faster so it's not impossible that it's true. However, if so it would be their earliest release ever by almost two weeks.583657169_ScreenShot2021-01-29at6_23_18PM.thumb.png.b797f84a82708c0236c99d1e878809af.png

CMU is mine, and it's real. Definitely felt very early to me! The professor who emailed me said they just met today to decide (I would assume that emails to the other 7 may not all have gone out on a friday night? I'd think it quite possible). I included the numbers since I know at some point I will be rejected, and I will be grateful for someone else posting that I'm in good, numerous company. 

I just wanted to say -- after I submitted my application, I discovered this site, and couldn't help but compare myself to the people posting. I had applied for the master's, and decided to check the PhD box on a whim, because wouldn't that be amazing? I have little background in philosophy itself, no research, no published papers, no fancy grad seminars. My SOP was more a frolic through things that delight me than a coherent research statement. 

When I read here, I was SO impressed by everyone's accomplishments and focus. It seemed beyond belief that undergrads could be so put-together. I thought, wow, they're going to think I'm such an idiot, just for daring to submit my application amongst such quality, dedicated candidates. Away I went, thinking I've got no chance. Well, at least I tried, at least I had fun writing my silly essay! 

I was SHOCKED to get the email. Still am. (only reason I don't think it's a fluke is that it's very personalized). Have I mentioned - no philosophy since high school, no grad classes, no papers published, no "research agenda". My application was essentially a list of things I've done that've made me happy, and things that I hope will make me happy in the future.

I just wanted to write this in case someone sees it in the future, to realize that there is hope and there is a chance, that they should go for it and not be afraid by the grandiose things they read! If I hadn't decided to apply before looking here, I might very well not have. 

So, in the middle of all this stress for many, best of luck to all of you! It seems to me now that there really is a chance for everyone, which warms my heart immensely. (and I know that sadly, many qualified people lose in this lottery, which i expect to do on my other application lol. only I won't even be qualified!)

43 minutes ago, meowmeowcinnamonbuns said:

CMU is mine, and it's real. Definitely felt very early to me! The professor who emailed me said they just met today to decide (I would assume that emails to the other 7 may not all have gone out on a friday night? I'd think it quite possible). I included the numbers since I know at some point I will be rejected, and I will be grateful for someone else posting that I'm in good, numerous company. 

I just wanted to say -- after I submitted my application, I discovered this site, and couldn't help but compare myself to the people posting. I had applied for the master's, and decided to check the PhD box on a whim, because wouldn't that be amazing? I have little background in philosophy itself, no research, no published papers, no fancy grad seminars. My SOP was more a frolic through things that delight me than a coherent research statement. 

When I read here, I was SO impressed by everyone's accomplishments and focus. It seemed beyond belief that undergrads could be so put-together. I thought, wow, they're going to think I'm such an idiot, just for daring to submit my application amongst such quality, dedicated candidates. Away I went, thinking I've got no chance. Well, at least I tried, at least I had fun writing my silly essay! 

I was SHOCKED to get the email. Still am. (only reason I don't think it's a fluke is that it's very personalized). Have I mentioned - no philosophy since high school, no grad classes, no papers published, no "research agenda". My application was essentially a list of things I've done that've made me happy, and things that I hope will make me happy in the future.

I just wanted to write this in case someone sees it in the future, to realize that there is hope and there is a chance, that they should go for it and not be afraid by the grandiose things they read! If I hadn't decided to apply before looking here, I might very well not have. 

So, in the middle of all this stress for many, best of luck to all of you! It seems to me now that there really is a chance for everyone, which warms my heart immensely. (and I know that sadly, many qualified people lose in this lottery, which i expect to do on my other application lol. only I won't even be qualified!)

First, congrats! Second, thanks for hopping into the forum to confirm--I'll go ahead and update the spreadsheet now that it's confirmed ? Just to check-in, did they mention a fellowship at all in your email? (sometimes those go out first and if so I note it on the sheet)

8 hours ago, meowmeowcinnamonbuns said:

Congratulations!!! Would you mind me asking which program -- PhD in Philosophy or PhD in Logic, Computation and Methodology -- were you applying to? Just want to know whether they have sent out all the acceptances for PhD admission or just for PhD in Philosophy program to see if there is any chance for me at all...

31 minutes ago, HomoLudens said:

Can anyone claim the Toronto acceptance from the spreadsheet?

Someone on the FB group already has. She also mentioned that the Faculty mentioned that this was an early acceptance (probably a fellowship acceptance or something)

Edit: it is a regular phil acceptance, not HPS

Edited by PolPhil

@MtnDuck The email mentioned funding (just an overview; I'll get the exact situation with the official acceptance), but didn't use the word "fellowship." This is a whole new world to me; I don't know if there is a difference!

@wangshangchonglang I think I checked off both the Logic ones, definitely not the Philosophy one. It's my understanding that you get accepted to their doctoral program, and can decide later which of the 3 degrees you want to pursue? So I'm not sure it makes a difference? I'd assume that the professor you're interested in working with matters more, though i can see how that would correlate with the specific degree to an extent. I am not the department, but I'd think not all of the professors immediately sent out emails on a Friday night. Heck, I don't even know if they finished making all their decisions! 

I didn't think ahead that posting this would worry people. Sorry guys. I figured it would be helpful for future years to get an idea of when they came in, but fudging it to a week later prolly would've made a lot of people calmer 

49 minutes ago, meowmeowcinnamonbuns said:

@wangshangchonglang I think I checked off both the Logic ones, definitely not the Philosophy one. It's my understanding that you get accepted to their doctoral program, and can decide later which of the 3 degrees you want to pursue? So I'm not sure it makes a difference? I'd assume that the professor you're interested in working with matters more, though i can see how that would correlate with the specific degree to an extent. I am not the department, but I'd think not all of the professors immediately sent out emails on a Friday night. Heck, I don't even know if they finished making all their decisions! 

Thank you for the information! I suppose that it is indeed the case that it doesn't really matter for the admission which stream that you choose in your application. I guess I will just wait for their decision to come. Congratulations again!