Silberman Fall 2021 MSW

vincentmsw

On 4/7/2021 at 2:15 PM, MSWNYC said:

I am STILL on "submitted." No interview offer... nothing. Anyone else? Likely bad news, just want to see if I'm alone in this! 

Yup, same here. I did get the accidental interview offer but no real one. I sent in my application on the last possible day so I'm not surprised they're getting to me late. If I have to apply again next year I'll do it earlier!

6 hours ago, ayco said:

Yup, same here. I did get the accidental interview offer but no real one. I sent in my application on the last possible day so I'm not surprised they're getting to me late. If I have to apply again next year I'll do it earlier!

I applied 2/2, too, so I'm sure I'm on the bottom of the pile! I have already put off two other acceptances, one for another two weeks, another for a month, and they're both coming due in a few days. So... I'll ask to again delay the deadlines for commitment, or... pay the commitment fee for one. Still really hoping for Silberman! Amazing program, amazing cost. :) Hang in there! 

9 hours ago, MSWNYC said:

Hang in there! 

Thanks! Yeah, I turned down Smith which had originally been my top choice because they didn't give any aid. Since then I've decided that I'd prefer to go to a state/city program anyway since I'll be more likely to have diversity of class and race in my cohort which is important to me. That and the price of course. So if I don't get into Hunter this year I'll try again next year and also to some other SUNY/CUNYs. Does anyone know how UAlbany's MSW program is? I missed the deadline this year but I'm looking at that one as a backup for next year.

2 hours ago, ayco said:

Thanks! Yeah, I turned down Smith which had originally been my top choice because they didn't give any aid. Since then I've decided that I'd prefer to go to a state/city program anyway since I'll be more likely to have diversity of class and race in my cohort which is important to me. That and the price of course. So if I don't get into Hunter this year I'll try again next year and also to some other SUNY/CUNYs. Does anyone know how UAlbany's MSW program is? I missed the deadline this year but I'm looking at that one as a backup for next year.

That makes total sense. What about Lehman and SUNY Stony Brook? I know their social work program is located in Manhattan. 

I'm still waiting, still on "submitted." Have no idea what to make of that! I had to pay my downpayment to another school, and start the enrollment process, or I wouldn't have been able to get an earlier access to good field work opportunities. So... the waiting continues. Entering week 11. Hope everyone's well, and congrats to those who've been accepted! 

11 minutes ago, MSWNYC said:

I'm still waiting, still on "submitted." Have no idea what to make of that! I had to pay my downpayment to another school, and start the enrollment process, or I wouldn't have been able to get an earlier access to good field work opportunities. So... the waiting continues. Entering week 11. Hope everyone's well, and congrats to those who've been accepted! 

Don’t stress yourself if you get notified later this month the worst is you lose a deposit at the other school. Hunter has no deposit due to Covid so you can just jump right in with getting this rolling. 

4 hours ago, Gradguy11218 said:

Don’t stress yourself if you get notified later this month the worst is you lose a deposit at the other school. Hunter has no deposit due to Covid so you can just jump right in with getting this rolling. 

That's what I thought, so I'm going forward with the other program until I hear otherwise. Thanks for the support! Tough wait. But it will all be worth it if I can get accepted...

Hey everyone. So I've been accepted to NYU and Hunter, and my decision is due to both on Thursday 4/15. I'm leaning toward Hunter because of the cost difference (going to NYU will be just about double the price of Hunter in my case) but for some reason I'm still kind of on the fence. Does anyone have any advice? For context, I'll be on a clinical track, and my goals are to become a LCSW and go into group or private practice as a therapist, or maybe take a clinical position at a hospital - I have no interest in macro work. Is there actually any reason to pay twice the price to go to NYU, or am I just being swayed by their good marketing and recruitment efforts? Thanks for the help!

20 hours ago, veroverovero said:

Hey everyone. So I've been accepted to NYU and Hunter, and my decision is due to both on Thursday 4/15. I'm leaning toward Hunter because of the cost difference (going to NYU will be just about double the price of Hunter in my case) but for some reason I'm still kind of on the fence. Does anyone have any advice? For context, I'll be on a clinical track, and my goals are to become a LCSW and go into group or private practice as a therapist, or maybe take a clinical position at a hospital - I have no interest in macro work. Is there actually any reason to pay twice the price to go to NYU, or am I just being swayed by their good marketing and recruitment efforts? Thanks for the help!

I was accepted to both as well and as I'll be paying out of state tuition the cost is almost the same in my case. I ended up choosing Hunter. It was a hard choice to make, but ultimately, I find the fact that they have a clinical pathway from year one more appealing and I liked the curriculum better (although the differences are slight.) I kept hearing that NYU is more clinical but the more I looked into it the more it looked like the opposite might be true. Both are excellent programs, so really no bad choice here.  

Edited by Korovyev

3 minutes ago, Gradguy11218 said:

I am too, maybe that’s why. Finally someone who will be taking classes with me ?. Everyone seems to be 2 year track. 

Yes, it seems the OYR program is very small. Looking forward to seeing you all in person or in zoom. And I'll see you on the 29th for orientation ?

3 minutes ago, XGrad2021 said:

Yes, it seems the OYR program is very small. Looking forward to seeing you all in person or in zoom. And I'll see you on the 29th for orientation ?

Yes I’m ready to stimulate my mind, lost a few brain cells in quarantine lol. I will see you the 29th and in the future. Wishing you *and myself* nothing but the best in class 

I interviewed last week and was told I would hear back by last Friday.

I emailed my interviewer Friday evening after I haven't heard back from them. I called and email silberman admission this week and I still haven't heard back.

Also my application status still says: pending interview

It's kind of crazy to think some ppl are still going through the admission process and other ppl are getting orientation stuff... ?‍♂️

Edited by nyc_brooklyn_