2020-2021 Cycle Backup Plan Megathread

icemanyeo

Hi everyone,

I noticed a few people had brought up interest in brainstorming backup plans for the current cycle, so I created this megathread so the information would not be lost in the main application thread. Good luck!

If you're looking for something to do for a year and planning on reapplying next year, I definitely recommend Americorps programs!  I got fee waivers to almost all the schools I applied to, which allowed me to apply to a lot more places and was a huge burden lifted during the application process.  I'm not getting much research experience, but I am doing good work and getting paid enough to live on.

These are my backups in case I don’t get in this cycle (which seems likely):

- Masters programs that I have applied to as listed in my signature.

- OPT after I graduate, which I will use to try and get internships at think tanks. I am also open to doing some unpaid internships at this point like the UN internships just build my profile. 

If anyone has possible job opportunities that are related to IR, I would appreciate it. 

I also aim to improve my statistical skills and get a stronger quantitative background that I lacked this cycle. I am going to use the helpful information in the application thread about R and try to learn it (along with other relevant programs). 

I might audit some courses or actually take courses taught by top universities on platforms like Coursera etc. related to topics of my interest / topics that will help me build my profile. 

Thank you for creating this thread. If it actually doesn’t work out for me this year, any and all information on this thread will be useful to me. I’ll try to keep updating it if I find any other useful things too! 

51 minutes ago, jamesc6 said:

If you're looking for something to do for a year and planning on reapplying next year, I definitely recommend Americorps programs!  I got fee waivers to almost all the schools I applied to, which allowed me to apply to a lot more places and was a huge burden lifted during the application process.  I'm not getting much research experience, but I am doing good work and getting paid enough to live on.

Unfortunately I think those are like Peace Corps and basically only available to US citizens/permanent residents :( but that's great advice for folks based in the US!

7 minutes ago, nivy25 said:

- OPT after I graduate, which I will use to try and get internships at think tanks. I am also open to doing some unpaid internships at this point like the UN internships just build my profile. 

If anyone has possible job opportunities that are related to IR, I would appreciate it. 

I also aim to improve my statistical skills and get a stronger quantitative background that I lacked this cycle. I am going to use the helpful information in the application thread about R and try to learn it (along with other relevant programs). 

I might audit some courses or actually take courses taught by top universities on platforms like Coursera etc. related to topics of my interest / topics that will help me build my profile. 

Thank you for creating this thread. If it actually doesn’t work out for me this year, any and all information on this thread will be useful to me. I’ll try to keep updating it if I find any other useful things too! 

As someone who just went through OPT, I will warn you right now: A lot of organizations don't actually know how to handle OPT/international students, especially when they're paying you. A lot of places use 1099s which are not usable for non-residents when paying taxes to IRS and can land you in legal trouble, few places provide W2s from my experience. I'd started job-searching in January 2020 and I still ended up having to leave the US in October after my 90 days were up because the job I was working at had to let me go since they couldn't use a 1099 to pay me.

10 minutes ago, nivy25 said:

10 minutes ago, nivy25 said:

Also UN internships are usually unpaid :(

If you can afford it, I would recommend applying to DPSS this summer. It's much cheaper compared to previous years when it was residential, and there are some modest scholarships. They have R courses and you get a certificate and Chicago transcript at the end.  I just finished my application just in case my last two choices reject me also.

17 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

As someone who just went through OPT, I will warn you right now: A lot of organizations don't actually know how to handle OPT/international students, especially when they're paying you. A lot of places use 1099s which are not usable for non-residents when paying taxes to IRS and can land you in legal trouble, few places provide W2s from my experience. I'd started job-searching in January 2020 and I still ended up having to leave the US in October after my 90 days were up because the job I was working at had to let me go since they couldn't use a 1099 to pay me.

14 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

Also UN internships are usually unpaid :(

If you can afford it, I would recommend applying to DPSS this summer. 

OPT:

Damn, that sucks. Do you mind me asking what sort of job you had? I’m mostly thinking of think tanks and unpaid internships (last choice), at top research organizations or NGOs. 

DPSS:

Would this be a significant bonus to my profile? It costs $4,500 which is a good amount of money. I get that I will receive an added credential on my resume and a Chicago transcript, but I just want to know it’s market value. Will this help me improve my chances of getting into PhD programs significantly? 

Also, do you know if programs like these can be done as part of the OPT? 

Also, I just wanted to put this out there:

For those who didn’t get into a school of their choice this year and will most likely try next year, I would love to stay in touch and brainstorm ways to plan better for the next cycle. 

Gradcafe usage is probably going to die down once the cycle officially ends and it’ll be nice to still get positive vibes and motivate each other for the next few tough months that may come!

(I am willing to disclose my identity and share personal information like social media or something to stay in touch if I feel like I’ve seen you posting on here frequently!)  

Edited by nivy25

9 hours ago, icemanyeo said:

Unfortunately I think those are like Peace Corps and basically only available to US citizens/permanent residents :( but that's great advice for folks based in the US!

Yes, unfortunately, you're right

Due to my financial situation, I took the last 3 years to try and earn some money before going into a PhD program so I would say reaching out to your government officials for temporary or volunteer employment may not be a bad idea. My volunteer position lead me to a full-time job offer after only 2 months. 

I heard from PoI’s that my experience in legislative politics strengthened my application and I had the opportunity to earn money, learn more about applied politics, and be exposed to numerous research opportunities.

This may be more relevant for US based folks, but I am sure that other country’s legislatures face similar problems of too much work, not enough staff, and an extremely high turnover rate. 

1 hour ago, ChairmanX said:

Due to my financial situation, I took the last 3 years to try and earn some money before going into a PhD program so I would say reaching out to your government officials for temporary or volunteer employment may not be a bad idea. My volunteer position lead me to a full-time job offer after only 2 months. 

I heard from PoI’s that my experience in legislative politics strengthened my application and I had the opportunity to earn money, learn more about applied politics, and be exposed to numerous research opportunities.

This may be more relevant for US based folks, but I am sure that other country’s legislatures face similar problems of too much work, not enough staff, and an extremely high turnover rate. 

That's a great idea! 

In the US (specifically my undergrad city) there are lots of companies that are looking for "Government Affairs" Interns/Associates (many paid) to basically help them with policy research, write-ups, and assist in communications with policymakers. Not necessarily long-term, but definitely good if you need an in-between. Good for some networking too.

UChicago’s MA programs are a great option! They offer a decent amount of funding, and are still accepting applications. They really prepare you for a PhD and help with your applications the following year. CIR is the best for comparative and IR, MAPSS for AP.

Thanks for starting this thread! As a theory applicant I'm a bit at a loss for what I can do to strengthen my application, bar work on my SOP (which, admittedly I know could've been a lot better). Working in govt/policy/a think tank would be cool but not sure how realistic that is for me, and also not sure how much that helps theory applicants as much as it does applicants to other subfields. My current job does expose me to some research but it's not political. However, it's a great job and I think the work we do is really worthwhile, so I'm just trying to figure out what I can do that is non job related to strengthen my application for next year. 

Are there any other theory people on here? 

1 hour ago, defcaffeinated said:

Thanks for starting this thread! As a theory applicant I'm a bit at a loss for what I can do to strengthen my application, bar work on my SOP (which, admittedly I know could've been a lot better). Working in govt/policy/a think tank would be cool but not sure how realistic that is for me, and also not sure how much that helps theory applicants as much as it does applicants to other subfields. My current job does expose me to some research but it's not political. However, it's a great job and I think the work we do is really worthwhile, so I'm just trying to figure out what I can do that is non job related to strengthen my application for next year. 

Are there any other theory people on here? 

The single best thing you can do is to spend a year getting killer GRE scores. It will make the difference I promise

I realize it may be a bit of a stretch for many US applicants, but you could try considering MA programs in Europe. At least in France the application process is still open and in many cases has not even started (a part of Sciences Po, for example). In September of 2019, a new law was passed here that drastically increased tuition costs for foreign students, however, there are many universities that have simply refused to alter their fees. If anyone is interested, I can send them a link to all of these public universities that still have essentially free MA programs. Unfortunately, the majority of the programs will require either a B2/C1 level of French, since most of the internationally focused ( and thus taught in English) programs come with their own tuition fees. 

I'm less familiar with the german system, but I am applying to several universities there and the application process has just begun. Tuition fees are the same for international students as they are for german citizens, which is to say it's free. 

Again, I realize that it may not be feasible for many folks in the US. 

Also, I'm not really sure what sort of implications there would be for someone having a european-based MA who intends to eventually apply for a US PhD program? 

In any case, I hope it can maybe help someone. 

3 hours ago, CatchingHumesGhost said:

I realize it may be a bit of a stretch for many US applicants, but you could try considering MA programs in Europe. At least in France the application process is still open and in many cases has not even started (a part of Sciences Po, for example). In September of 2019, a new law was passed here that drastically increased tuition costs for foreign students, however, there are many universities that have simply refused to alter their fees. If anyone is interested, I can send them a link to all of these public universities that still have essentially free MA programs. Unfortunately, the majority of the programs will require either a B2/C1 level of French, since most of the internationally focused ( and thus taught in English) programs come with their own tuition fees. 

I'm less familiar with the german system, but I am applying to several universities there and the application process has just begun. Tuition fees are the same for international students as they are for german citizens, which is to say it's free. 

Again, I realize that it may not be feasible for many folks in the US. 

Also, I'm not really sure what sort of implications there would be for someone having a european-based MA who intends to eventually apply for a US PhD program? 

In any case, I hope it can maybe help someone. 

I would definitely be interested in French programs if you have any recommendations! I've been looking at Sciences Po and Strasbourg but would welcome other options.

Presuming I am not admitted this cycle, I'm thinking about a few things that I've seen people on here mention.

As painful as it sounds, I'm debating retaking the GRE. I have what I thought were pretty decent scores (164V, 160Q, 6.0AW), but the scores I am seeing people posting on the results page are often far better than mine.

I've been having the same experience I've seen a lot of people having of the difficulty of finding really any opportunities to get some more concrete research experience, but that's probably another thing I would try to find a way to do.

I also didn't reach out to and POI's this cycle because I was too nervous, but it seems like most the people having luck this year were in touch with them. 

Then obviously my SOP and writing sample can always be better. I might try to write a sample from scratch if I can muster the motivation (or more like avoiding the GRE). 

Also would love to stay in touch with people after the cycle is over since the forum will die down a bit. The community here has really made the whole process feel a bit less overwhelming.

14 minutes ago, btermite said:

Presuming I am not admitted this cycle, I'm thinking about a few things that I've seen people on here mention.

As painful as it sounds, I'm debating retaking the GRE. I have what I thought were pretty decent scores (164V, 160Q, 6.0AW), but the scores I am seeing people posting on the results page are often far better than mine.

I've been having the same experience I've seen a lot of people having of the difficulty of finding really any opportunities to get some more concrete research experience, but that's probably another thing I would try to find a way to do.

I also didn't reach out to and POI's this cycle because I was too nervous, but it seems like most the people having luck this year were in touch with them. 

Then obviously my SOP and writing sample can always be better. I might try to write a sample from scratch if I can muster the motivation (or more like avoiding the GRE). 

Also would love to stay in touch with people after the cycle is over since the forum will die down a bit. The community here has really made the whole process feel a bit less overwhelming.

Honestly, I was having similar thoughts. I had a 161V, 160Q, 5.0 AWA. I only attempted it once and did not care as much because most schools made it optional anyway. I think a safe score is about 164+ and 5.0+ on AWA. 

I'm also currently exploring job opportunities that would help me work on obtaining research experience. I'm also awaiting some decisions from Masters programs and also exploring some other ones in Switzerland, and Middlebury Institute in California. 

I'm also afraid that next year won't be much easier, it might be equally difficult or more. There's no way we can know. I also want to work on my quantitative skills and improve that part of my profile significantly. 

If I get into any of the schools that waitlist me, I'll still take it, because even though a part of me wanted some other schools so much more, the next years might be so unpredictable and I don't want to risk losing the chance. 

If you want to stay in touch through channels apart from Gradcafe you can message me and we can maybe do a GroupMe or something.

1 hour ago, btermite said:

I would definitely recommend reaching out to some POIs ahead of time. I did this, and I think it was really helpful for me. Not only did it kinda put my name out there, but that process of networking and speaking with faculty gave me a lot of clarity on which school(s) would provide the best environment for me, and who could facilitate my research the best. It also saved me some $$ during the application cycle too because I didn't apply anywhere blindly. 

Also, I can't recommend getting a masters degree enough if you don't already have one and it is within your means (i.e., you can pay the tuition). The experience in graduate level work that my masters has given me is invaluable, and I think I was able to really showcase my growth and potential for PhD programs in my applications. I also had the opportunity to get my LOR from both undergrad+graduate profs that I had worked with or taken classes from which was probably a nice touch. 

I sincerely wish you all the best in this cycle and the next one if you decide to reapply in the coming year ❤️ 

10 hours ago, polisci_gal said:

I would definitely recommend reaching out to some POIs ahead of time. I did this, and I think it was really helpful for me. Not only did it kinda put my name out there, but that process of networking and speaking with faculty gave me a lot of clarity on which school(s) would provide the best environment for me, and who could facilitate my research the best. It also saved me some $$ during the application cycle too because I didn't apply anywhere blindly. 

Also, I can't recommend getting a masters degree enough if you don't already have one and it is within your means (i.e., you can pay the tuition). The experience in graduate level work that my masters has given me is invaluable, and I think I was able to really showcase my growth and potential for PhD programs in my applications. I also had the opportunity to get my LOR from both undergrad+graduate profs that I had worked with or taken classes from which was probably a nice touch. 

I sincerely wish you all the best in this cycle and the next one if you decide to reapply in the coming year ❤️ 

Please send me a message if you’d be comfortable sharing where you got your Masters from, and what Masters exactly? 

On 2/11/2021 at 9:41 AM, CatchingHumesGhost said:

I have an MSc from the UK. I think it’s implications are nothing but positive. I’ve gained more theoretical knowledge and research experience, wrote a master’s dissertation that has been published in a peer reviewed journal etc. In addition, recommendation letters are even stronger imo as you’ve done work at a higher and more intense level with your professors. So I wholeheartedly recommend looking into getting a master’s first, not just to be more competitive but also more prepared for a PhD. 

On 2/11/2021 at 1:07 PM, icemanyeo said:

I would definitely be interested in French programs if you have any recommendations! I've been looking at Sciences Po and Strasbourg but would welcome other options.

Besides Sciences Po and Sorbonne, I really wouldn’t recommend any others. French universities do not have very strong reputations in Europe (my entire undergrad and grad education has been in Europe), so I am not sure how they would be looked at in the US. 

Edit: Also forgot about PSL! 

Edited by BrownSugar

3 hours ago, cbsag123 said:

How many of you all are planning on applying next cycle? Do you think the competition will be similarly horrible?

Absolutely. In the same way the academic job market never recovered from 2008, I don’t believe the snowballing applications and reapplications will calm down in the near future. Especially considering the departmental downsizing could be permanent 

Edited by Crossed_fingers