MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Has anyone's VCU online status changed? Mine doesnt say "Complete ready for review" anymore.

Anyone know if they interview everyone before they are accepted?

Rmutt: mine changed today as well, also got my rejection letter today...

Don't assume that. I got into a school with a thin envelope.

Thanks for the encouragement! but unfortunately it was a rejection...I knew it was coming as I did not interview...

....................................sigh................................

I received a phone call letting me know about my acceptance into RISD's MFA in Furniture Design three weeks ago but am still awaiting the acceptance packet. I called last week to see when it would arrive and they said written notification should be here this week.

I know that Brooklyn and City College don't notify until end of March/beginning of April. I peeked at last years thread and the earliest I could pinpoint someone getting notified from either of those schools was March 30th from Brooklyn College. Don't lose hope yet. I'm sitting in the same boat waiting responses from them too.

Thank you Itsem :) It's frustrating... :-I

EEEEHAWWW....me too... Now, I'm pretty sure RISD is on the same track and same for USC...(rejections coming up);

I'm still feeling good about 4 acceptances out of 12. I really didn't think my work was mature/strong enough for the prime prime prime (Yale, Columbia, RISD, MICA, SAIC) top of the ranking, low acceptance rate schools...

The Columbia rejection (after UCLA's) is a confirmation of that... I have a feeling I'd do better if I put myself through the application process a second time; I certainly learned a lot from this.

On another note I'm too old to postpone the start of my MFA beyond this Fall (with the only exception being the Post Bacc @ SAIC which I'm still considering).

Thank you Itsem :) It's frustrating... :-I

I was fretting for a while there too. I received an email at the end of February that stated, "your application is complete and has been forwarded to your department for review. Decisions will be made in about six weeks" that is when I looked at last years thread to see when people had heard from them. Plus I knew decisions had to be made on my end around that time too. They are the last two schools that I have to hear from. And then the hardest part will start....deciding where to go.

rejection from vcu sculpture through mail on saturday. still no word from tyler or ucla about interviews. is it safe to assume that i will be getting rejections?

accepted: mica, massarts (fellowship at mica only covers 50%)

rejected: vcu (and i'm pretty sure saic)

no word from: ucla, tyler, saic

rejection from vcu sculpture through mail on saturday. still no word from tyler or ucla about interviews. is it safe to assume that i will be getting rejections?

accepted: mica, massarts (fellowship at mica only covers 50%)

rejected: vcu (and i'm pretty sure saic)

no word from: ucla, tyler, saic

My application said " decision ready" as of Wednesday and I got an acceptance call yesterday- I don't think anyone was notified earlier than Thursday. I don't know if that helps...

It did! Thank you!

Got my acceptance phone call today at 11:57AM today from SMFA :3 :3 apparently they've been calling since Thursday/Friday, and it just rang and rang and no one picked up. This coupled with what happened with CCA with me...all I can say is: who ever have their services with Sprint, switch before your life is ruined! :angry:

Oh and interview request from Pratt on Sunday, they say they only got all of my material on Friday. I really should've been more on top of things this application season...

Edited by ysun71088

Just got back from a week's vacation with no internet connection...! Bizarrely freeing.

Got home to an acceptance from Herron's MFA at IUPUI with some funding!

How are people going about talking to schools for more competitive financial packages? Is it possible to use full funding from one school to try to get a bit more funding from another?

Just got back from a week's vacation with no internet connection...! Bizarrely freeing.

Got home to an acceptance from Herron's MFA at IUPUI with some funding!

How are people going about talking to schools for more competitive financial packages? Is it possible to use full funding from one school to try to get a bit more funding from another?

Congrats! And I'm also interested in this question, although I only have one acceptance so far.

Edited by ysun71088

Congrats! And I'm also interested in this question, although I only have one acceptance so far.

Thank you!

This question has been on my mind lately. I have only visited one of my campuses, and none of the departments. I want to narrow my schools down to two or three so I can visit and then make a decision, but to do so I'd like to make sure I have the most competitive financial packages from all the schools I can get.

...I may also have just bought a car and am still in haggle mode...

What do you guys think? Is it against grad-school etiquette?

Accepted into SAIC Painting via a phone call this morning (which will be followed by snail mail packet).

Was the SAIC scholarship better than MICA? I only applied to MICA so, I am just curious about other schools. Edited by maker

...How are people going about talking to schools for more competitive financial packages? Is it possible to use full funding from one school to try to get a bit more funding from another?

Yes. Do that. You can certainly give it a try without any repercussions since the competing schools want you bad enough. I've had some Grad friends be successful with such things...look at it like a set of job offers.

Good luck and I hope you get the best deal!

Congrats to all who are getting good news!

Has anyone heard from Tyler in Printmaking? I have heard that they can be terribly late in notifying people. I sure do find all the schools who got back to me quickly more attractive for their efficiency.

Honesty, I haven't heard good things about SVA - They are very expensive and offer very little in ways of funding. I have also heard that their grad studios aren't great and that while "big name" people teach there, they often spend very little time outside of their classes either in the facilities or with the students. I've heard this both from those who are in and outside of New York. Granted, it could be different now - my advice is, if you can, go and check it out for yourself. You'll be the one to decide and make sure you ask them about the things I just said.

I have to agree with "miyamoto81" on this as well for the fine art (not so on the graphic design, where you get a ton of attention from the pros), and the film dept is also likewise known for being riDICulously expensive (a friend of mine paid his MFA off after about 10 years...while bringing in a six figure salary as an art director)...

That being said, miyamoto81, it looks like you applied and got into CalArts...that school is just as bad as SVA for $...I have a friend in their Director's program and she's going to end up with well over 120K in debt, and she says the fine art people are only better off because they are a 2 year program instead of three...

I appreciate those thoughts and they don't surprise me... Of course I'm still going to visit next week.

Cheers to all!