Linguistics 2012

bluetourmaline

Hi all,

This is my first post here. Anyone else applying to M.A. programs? So far, I've been accepted to the OSU Slavic Linguistics program. According to the results board, someone else was admitted to the same program-- would be great to connect with that person! Also, has anyone applied to BC or U of M for the Linguistics M.A.?

Thanks!

Edited by what lies ahead

Word. It has. Thought my little burst of good news would hold me over for a while. At first I took Rice's waitlist as a nice gesture & was happy with that. Now I've pretty much realized I would accept their offer if a spot opens up. So now I know I'm going to have to wait a good while to hear some definite news there. Ahh. Meanwhile... everything else. Haha.

When they sent you a rejection mail (by paper) and stated the faculty encourage you to reapply ('believes you are competitive'), giving a link for the information about reapplication. Do you guys think they really want you to do so, or it's just being polite?

But I think probably I am being stupid. They are just being polite = =

When they sent you a rejection mail (by paper) and stated the faculty encourage you to reapply ('believes you are competitive'), giving a link for the information about reapplication. Do you guys think they really want you to do so, or it's just being polite?

But I think probably I am being stupid. They are just being polite = =

It's hard to say without knowing what other people received.

That's awesome! Congrats! I got an email saying they're still reviewing funding sources, but to contact them if I am pressured by any other school. Lol.

However, I got in CM's SLA program so at least I'm more calm. Well, until my #1 gets back to me!

Congrats!! :-D

Thanks! I got a phone call from Georgetown yesterday, offering me admission to their Spanish linguistics program! I started sobbing! LOL (not on the phone, of course. Luckily, I was able to hold myself together). That's basically it for me, since I could care less about the other schools I applied to now. Thanks all, for being so supportive during this horrendous month!

Also, I hope this means that hopefully Georgetown linguistics (applied/computational/theoretical/socio) will send out their answers soon! Good luck everyone! <3

Hi everyone! First-time poster here, looking forward to chatting with other aspiring linguists! I've applied to MA programs in Linguistics (interest in English sociolinguistics), and I was accepted to Georgetown's MLC program last Wednesday. I noticed that someone else just posted an acceptance to the MLC--maybe we'll be classmates in the fall! :)

Well I got the last letter today from UConn- the expected rejection. I think I was most upset about UMich and disappointed about UMass and UT, eh about the rest. I already emailed UIUC and officially accepted awhile ago anyway. I've also been looking for rooms/roommates in Urbana/Champaign and have a plane ticket to go visit in April. I also have plans to get a puppy or dog when I move, so lucky for me I'm talking to a girl with a room available who has a dog and is open to a roomie with a pet as well. I'm excited about UIUC's program, though nervous to be away from everyone I know. Anyone else make a final decision yet?

What lies ahead! I am applying to masters programs too! I have applied to Linguistics M.A at the University of Minnesota, Michigan State, COlorado, Syracuse, Eastern Michigan and Second Language Aquistionm at the University of Minnesota, and TESL at Manktao state. I Have been accepted at Mankato (Only because I was last year and they defered my acceptance). I see you applied to the University of Minnesota, I just had a huge talk with one of my professors who used to teach there, and he told me that in 20 years he has never sucessfully send an undergrad there. He was nice about it, and I would rather here honestly so I am not too optimistic. I really really want to go to Michigan State and am praying I get in and get funding, has anyone else applied there? Have you heard anything yet? I have had two GA interviews there and I am sooo nervous I want it so badly. My undergrad is in French, Linguistics with a minor in TESL but I only have a 3.4, however have taken every linguistic course possible in both French and English and had impressive sucess with my senior project. Also my application season is Fall 2012, not 2011 I made a mistake does anyone know how to fix it?

Edited by wame0601

@wame0601 I've applied to Eastern Michigan's MA program, too! Did you apply for assistantship funding? I'm anxiously awaiting to hear back from them, as Georgetown is my dream program but offers no funding at the Master's level (but I knew that going in).

To change your Application Season, just go to your username next to "Sign Out" in the top right corner... Then go to "My Settings" and it will be all the way at the bottom under "Profile Information." I did the same thing at first! :)

Edited by 100freestyle

I'm really nervous about hearing back from Georgetown because I applied for their PhD program knowing they don't offer master's level funding. Oh well, I'm feeling good about the other programs I'm waiting on so life will go on no matter what happens. But I did have a dream that three GT faculty emailed me this morning asking really weird questions about my writing sample. Oh, subconscious...