Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I'm pretty sure it differs by country. Dominican Republic full recipients can start anytime between August 2013 and March 31st.

Haha and now that I look at this incredibly flexible time frame, it's slowly dawning on me that I'm probably in the "end if June" group...

Sometimes everyone else's anxiety on the board makes me anxious and I'm all, daaaamn, When am I gonna get my email? >.< And then I'm all...

oh...yeah...

I may send a friendly e-mail to my region director to inquire about potential orientation dates for Central America/Caribbean ETA's. I legitimately need to know for my summer job, as it will involve significant air travel...My boss needs to know now what week I can't work so he doesn't spend hundreds on plane tickets). Sounds like a good enough reason, right?

I have to have something to do at work..otherwise I might actually have to some, well, you know.. WORK.

Jk, jk.

I used to check at work when I was waiting and freaking out...but normally I get a little paranoid to be on social type websites at work since it's not like I have my own office or computer or anything and as a student employee I'm pretty much everyone's butt monkey(in the nicest way you can take that, because I make people really happy by helping them) so I always have a lot of stuff to do.  Not that I think they would have cared, but yea. 

I may send a friendly e-mail to my region director to inquire about potential orientation dates for Central America/Caribbean ETA's. I legitimately need to know for my summer job, as it will involve significant air travel...My boss needs to know now what week I can't work so he doesn't spend hundreds on plane tickets). Sounds like a good enough reason, right?

At this point in the game, I think all reasons are valid. We have been in suspended animation for over 6 months.

I am going to take a break from worry and head to the gym! See you all tomorrow! May is almost here!

I was told that Turkey was always last and they didn't call until the end of May. I have been trying to work out if the sequester will add days to last year's date. So much for getting to let my Estonian friends know at the conference this weekend whether or not I would be hanging out with them in the fall. Lol!! Silly me!! :blink:

I went home for a weekend (about a 5 hour drive, not too bad but a significant trip) for Easter and had been really hoping to find out before going home and seeing all of my family.  Would have been nice to be able to tell everyone together instead of answering theoretical questions all weekend and then having to call everyone individually after finding out.

Alas, I heard about a day and a half after I left home.

Thus, if there is a particular time you really really would like to have the information by...you will probably hear like 2 days later.  Which at least means you'll be hearing soon!  If my totally flawed logic works for you :P

Oh MAN!  I came home from work to find this turd in my inbox:

Dear Fulbright Applicants to Switzerland,

This is just a brief update on your application status. I wish to inform you that we do not currently expect to be able to notify applicants to Switzerland of the outcome of the selection process for a few more weeks. The latest we expect will be the end of May.

We appreciate your patience during this time.

All the best,

Eileen O'Malley

WTF, Switzerland?!!?!?

This is just a brief update on your application status. I wish to inform you that we do not currently expect to be able to notify applicants to Switzerland of the outcome of the selection process for a few more weeks. The latest we expect will be the end of May.

All the best,

Eileen O'Malley

WTF, Switzerland?!!?!?

I got the same one today! LOL. I read the whole thing before I even realized it was a Fulbright email. End of May...hmm...I'll take the challenge Fulbright, I know you're simply testing my psychological strength. Watch me rock this month of May. I will show you a whole new level of staying busy. Bring it on!!!

I was reading on the information for recommended candidates page a few minutes ago, and I noticed that ETA's to Central America/Caribbean don't have to attend an orientation in DC. Is it just me, or did it earlier say that we would have to attend one?! Perhaps I'm losing my marbles after all this time, but I could have sworn that it said we had to attend one earlier in the process....

has anyone from japan ever been bumped up from alternate?  

I haven't ever really heard much news about Japan Fulbrighters, but I have heard stories about Japan Foundation alternates getting bumped up. good luck and hang in there (much easier said than done...). something will work out in the end, and there is always next year too.

Received the email, finally. Alternate to Norway.

Aw.  Maybe because they waited for so long to tell you there will be lots of people who had to make other plans and will bequeath their grants to you (that's right, I said grants).  That's one potential benefit of a long wait, eh?  Sending good thoughts your way.

Luxembourg? I don't think they've heard... I could be wrong though...

You're right, no word from Luxembourg yet. They sent out notifications last year on 1 May, so here's to hoping!

I just went back and read my email notification from January. It says that some countries may not receive final notification until THE END OF JUNE!! Why was I thinking May 15th? Why why why!? I seriously thought it was going to be any day now... Sad...

End of June? Eesh.  I really hope that is a worst case scenario.

Sometimes everyone else's anxiety on the board makes me anxious and I'm all, daaaamn, When am I gonna get my email? >.< And then I'm all...

oh...yeah...

I still haven't come out of it - I think it's shock.  I kept obsessively checking my email today, and then I would have that "oh, yeah" reaction.  

All the best,

Eileen O'Malley

WTF, Switzerland?!!?!?

Man, what is with Switzerland? I would have thought that Switzerland would have been one of the first to notify.  I guess it has to be independent and do its own thing.  Well, I am rooting for you guys, and for any other country that has not yet notified.  I sure hope you find out before June.  

Edited by Porshyen

Aw.  Maybe because they waited for so long to tell you there will be lots of people who had to make other plans and will bequeath their grants to you (that's right, I said grants).  That's one potential benefit of a long wait, eh?  Sending good thoughts your way.

sorry to hear that. I hope Odin will guide the application viewers aright and show them their folly.

Thanks guys. It was to be expected. I'm going to chat with my university advisor and my affiliate in the next few days about what options we (I) have, and I'll keep kicking around this thread to see everyone else's news. 

Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear! Especially Switzerland. You'd think they'd have a better idea of their budget than anyone. 

Okay China. Today is your day. At this point, I just want to free from waiting:)

Is May Day a holiday in China? Does the host country bureau email the applicant and the US office at the same time, or would we wait for a forward from NY? I guess it wouldn't be much of a renmin gongheguo if it didn't observe mayday...

Hmmmm....I just looked at a calender of Chinese holidays and think that May Day is a holiday. However, should that matter if we're getting notifications from New York? Ahhh..confusion!

Is May Day a holiday in China? Does the host country bureau email the applicant and the US office at the same time, or would we wait for a forward from NY? I guess it wouldn't be much of a renmin gongheguo if it didn't observe mayday...

Email?  Based on how slow everything is, I'm assuming the preferred mode of communication is carrier pigeon 

Received the email, finally. Alternate to Norway.

Sorry that you didn't get more definitive news. I guess they finally worked stuff out there. *hugs to you

As for the note from Switzerland, that is my worst nightmare. I guess I should prepare for that though. This has been such a crazy year.

I am pretty sure we are waiting to hear from NY. So, I guess we could get some news today. That would be nice!

Happy May Day!