Applications for Fall 2013!

@citychild - Talk with the UW office and see a) how long they can give you to complete the background check requirement and B)  if they can waive the fee for you.  These kinds of things come up a lot for students and it's a measure of the school's support systems if they can work with you.  It's upon the students to be advocates for themselves of course and take initiative, work with the system, but I think it's a sign of their own values if they are able to respond to what is a clear need.

Edited by trvlgl4

Anyone know the time frame for hearing anything back from Ohio State? My application has said "Your application has been sent to the graduate program for academic review." since last Thursday? I'm getting anxious! 

Congrats to everyone who has good news so far!

Hi kris427! My application to OSU was completed on 12/10/12 and my status was updated on 2/15/13- i continuously checked. About a week or so later I received a letter of admission and then another letter followed with more info.

I recently declined their offer though :( But, that just leaves a spot for someone else :) Best of luck!

Still no word, the admissions person who was looking into what happened to early decision applicants that weren't notified is out for the rest of the week! No one in the office is able to follow-up. I guess worse case scenerio, some early decision got pushed into the regular decision pool for whatever reason. The waiting continues. Makes me with they just stuck with one deadline!

Me too. This waiting game is getting really hard!

So is anyone else kind of upset that we applied early action to UW and then got pushed into the regular action notification time?  I purposefully applied for EA deadline because I needed to know earlier rather than later... on top of it I couldn't include MANY things in my app because I found out a week after the EA deadline, but before the regular deadline.  If I would have known the waiting game was going to continue, I would have just applied to the regular deadline.. anyone else feel it's a little unfair? Congrats to all those who did get in though!  I think I'm just a little discouraged.  :unsure:

So is anyone else kind of upset that we applied early action to UW and then got pushed into the regular action notification time?  I purposefully applied for EA deadline because I needed to know earlier rather than later... on top of it I couldn't include MANY things in my app because I found out a week after the EA deadline, but before the regular deadline.  If I would have known the waiting game was going to continue, I would have just applied to the regular deadline.. anyone else feel it's a little unfair? Congrats to all those who did get in though!  I think I'm just a little discouraged.  :unsure:

I'm frustrated as well, I applied EA for a reason, but at the same time I'd rather be given a shot with general decision applicants that just declined outright with EA, if that were the case.

So is anyone else kind of upset that we applied early action to UW and then got pushed into the regular action notification time? I purposefully applied for EA deadline because I needed to know earlier rather than later... on top of it I couldn't include MANY things in my app because I found out a week after the EA deadline, but before the regular deadline. If I would have known the waiting game was going to continue, I would have just applied to the regular deadline.. anyone else feel it's a little unfair? Congrats to all those who did get in though! I think I'm just a little discouraged. :unsure:

I feel the same way, I did my undergrad there but apparently UW grad doesn't accept a high number of the undergrads :( good luck to everyone!

Decisions!!

I woke up to the wonderful news that I was accepted to NYU! My dream school!!! 

But.....I need advice.... my other accepted school is CSU-DH, which is conveniently only 20 mins away from home and much cheaper than NYU :/ Also, my long-term boyfriend opted out from attending University of Miami for his phD and decided on UC Davis in order to be just a driving distance from family and me.. So as you can tell I am completely torn! I currently work in a very good social services agency in which everybody keeps mentioning that it is a 'no brainer'; to choose NYU! 

Any advice???

Decisions!!

I woke up to the wonderful news that I was accepted to NYU! My dream school!!! 

But.....I need advice.... my other accepted school is CSU-DH, which is conveniently only 20 mins away from home and much cheaper than NYU :/ Also, my long-term boyfriend opted out from attending University of Miami for his phD and decided on UC Davis in order to be just a driving distance from family and me.. So as you can tell I am completely torn! I currently work in a very good social services agency in which everybody keeps mentioning that it is a 'no brainer'; to choose NYU! 

Any advice???

Unfortunatly, social workers typically make around $37,000-$57,000 a year. Did you get money to go to NYU? I got accepted there last year and deferred my admission but ultimately won't be going there because of the high price tag :( . Finances play a big role and nobody likes a high amount of debt!

Unfortunatly, social workers typically make around $37,000-$57,000 a year. Did you get money to go to NYU? I got accepted there last year and deferred my admission but ultimately won't be going there because of the high price tag :( . Finances play a big role and nobody likes a high amount of debt!

Thank you for your reply Sarah! I completely agree with you, NYU is pricey and while they did offer me a $10,500 scholarship I feel that I must take into consideration travel, living and personal expenses which are not covered by their tuition price tag... I'm scared that the only reason I am even considering attending NYU is due to the city not the university....

May I ask where you will be headed this year for your MSW? 

Thank you for your reply Sarah! I completely agree with you, NYU is pricey and while they did offer me a $10,500 scholarship I feel that I must take into consideration travel, living and personal expenses which are not covered by their tuition price tag... I'm scared that the only reason I am even considering attending NYU is due to the city not the university....

May I ask where you will be headed this year for your MSW? 

I've been accepted into BC (waiting to hear on funding but I have applied for an assistanship in the meantime), but I really am waiting to hear from UIC and UW. UIC is my dream school but I was waitlisted last year so I took a year off to do AmeriCorps and reapply! Hopefully I will be hearing back from both soon :) If you are interested in living in NYC I would consider Hunter, it is much more affordable and is a really great school! My neighbor goes there and she has really good things to say about it! Good luck with your decision!

Just got accepted to NYU! $7,000 scholarship and I am really considering going. This is all really dependent on my Columbia decision which I have fingers crossed about!

Congrats!!!! I woke up to that wonderful email as well!!

I had a small question, could I ask how will you be financing your program if you decide on NYU?

The pricetag is the ONLY thing keeping me in doubt :/

Congrats!!!! I woke up to that wonderful email as well!!

I had a small question, could I ask how will you be financing your program if you decide on NYU?

The pricetag is the ONLY thing keeping me in doubt :/

yay congrats to you too! I think I'm just going to have to take out a large education loan from my bank, not sure how else I can do it :/ Im telling myself that it is more important that I join a program that is the best for me and I'll deal with the loans later haha So scary!

yay congrats to you too! I think I'm just going to have to take out a large education loan from my bank, not sure how else I can do it :/ Im telling myself that it is more important that I join a program that is the best for me and I'll deal with the loans later haha So scary!

I am on the same boat, loans seem to be the only option. I'm trying to research possible loan forgiveness programs in NYU that we could take advantage of....so far no luck... I'm just torned, I graduated from my undergrad with dept and adding more to it just doesn't sound like the smartest thing to do :/

Best of luck!!!! :D

I am on the same boat, loans seem to be the only option. I'm trying to research possible loan forgiveness programs in NYU that we could take advantage of....so far no luck... I'm just torned, I graduated from my undergrad with dept and adding more to it just doesn't sound like the smartest thing to do :/

Best of luck!!!! :D

oh cool, loan forgiveness programs sound cool, if only they had some! haha but maybe there will be more options for us ahead! I'm also forgetting my FAFSA loans, maybe that will be helpful as well

Good luck with everything and hopefully I will see you in the Fall in the city!

I applied to Fordham and my application was complete on 2/5/13.... This is my number one choice and I am SOOO nervous. I got accepted to Adelphi in January but got denied from Hunter on 3/4. After getting rejected from Hunter I am SO nervous about Fordham. Anyone have any helpful words? Or has anyone been excepted yet!?!

I applied to Fordham and my application was complete on 2/5/13.... This is my number one choice and I am SOOO nervous. I got accepted to Adelphi in January but got denied from Hunter on 3/4. After getting rejected from Hunter I am SO nervous about Fordham. Anyone have any helpful words? Or has anyone been excepted yet!?!
Mine has been completed since 1/10. I was told would hear back by mid February, but nothing still. I have followed up with a call, but was only told "soon". Someone else on this board who was completed on 1/14 already heard back, so who knows.

Mine has been completed since 1/10. I was told would hear back by mid February, but nothing still. I have followed up with a call, but was only told "soon". Someone else on this board who was completed on 1/14 already heard back, so who knows.
Okay, this makes me feel a little it better... Thanks!!!

I just spoke with a woman named Rachel in the Admissions Office of the Berkeley School of Social Welfare. She was very kind and let me know that admissions decisions would be going out next week. She wasn't able to be any more specific but it's better than nothing.

There don't seem to be too many people on this forum who've applied to the MSW program at Berkeley, but those of us who have should know by this time next week. Best of luck to everyone.

I just spoke with a woman named Rachel in the Admissions Office of the Berkeley School of Social Welfare. She was very kind and let me know that admissions decisions would be going out next week. She wasn't able to be any more specific but it's better than nothing.

There don't seem to be too many people on this forum who've applied to the MSW program at Berkeley, but those of us who have should know by this time next week. Best of luck to everyone.

Interesting. I feel like a lot of folks received an email stating that admission decisions would be sent out the week of March 18-22?

Interesting. I feel like a lot of folks received an email stating that admission decisions would be sent out the week of March 18-22?

I actually didn't ever receive that email that everyone had mentioned but that may be because I originally applied for the MSW/MPH program. Either way happy to know that we will know one way or another come next week!! :)

Wow. The wait is over... I just found out that I got into the Concurrent MSW/MPH program at Berkeley. Earlier this morning they had informed me that admissions notifications would go out next week and then an hour later I get an email from the admissions advisor with the news.

They've given various dates over the past few weeks so who knows what kind of time frame they're working with. I hope everyone else finds out soon.

Congratulations, NKH! And thanks for keeping us posted! I'm getting really nervous.

Thanks! I was getting pretty nervous too. Best of luck to you. Hopefully we'll be classmates in the fall.