MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

REALLY PEOPLE?!  REALLY?!!?!?!  (not you guys)

Yeah, so i check the mail, and wow... a big thing from Carnegie Mellon, and one from Pratt!  

Just graduate catalogs.  

Thankfully, I was prepared for this, since someone had posted it earlier, plus I didn't apply to Pratt (I don't even remember going on their website). But really, how cruel can they get?  I mean, why do they send these out several weeks after the deadlines have passed?  

Oh well, at least i have some free magazines now.  

I got one too, that is just.....i dont know what to say....

maybe adding larger letters on the package "THIS IS JUST CATALOGS" would help.... 

no.. anxiously waiting. do you know if they e-mail, call or send snail mail?

no idea... emailed them today to ask when they send out results, still waiting

Hey so I've been lurking for some time now but I've started hearing back so I figured I'd post.

I received a letter of admittance from SAIC (Art and Technology Studies) this past Tuesday as well as an email from Alfred letting me know that I'm on their list of alternates. 

Spoke to Corey Fecteau from Alfred admissions, and they're only admitting 5 students. Not gonna hold my breath considering the tuition waiver and stipend they offer, but she said there should be a definite answer within the next couple of weeks  :unsure:

Hey so I've been lurking for some time now but I've started hearing back so I figured I'd post.

I received a letter of admittance from SAIC (Art and Technology Studies) this past Tuesday as well as an email from Alfred letting me know that I'm on their list of alternates. 

Spoke to Corey Fecteau from Alfred admissions, and they're only admitting 5 students. Not gonna hold my breath considering the tuition waiver and stipend they offer, but she said there should be a definite answer within the next couple of weeks  :unsure:

CONGRATS on both SAIC and on being an alternate at Alfred! I got my BFA from Alfred just as the IEA was being established and I'm going back for a residency this spring. 

Best of luck!

I wish I would have found this forum earlier. What great information- and what an appropriately named forum title, because I am indeed freaking out right now.

I guess I am considered a non-traditional applicant- been in a career for almost 7 years, but always knew I wanted to get an MFA some day. I also have a BA from a not-so-well-known art program at a state university, which I'm hoping will not hurt my chances. This is my first year applying.

Applied drawing/painting programs: SAIC, UT Austin, Tulane, WashU, Tyler, SVA

Heard back from ONLY SAIC this week- they rejected my MFA app, but offered me a spot in their "prior degree" program, which is a part of their BFA program- with hopes I would build my portfolio and apply again next cycle. 

What's your take on that option (if it were to be my only one)?

Best of luck to everyone! :)

I've received a rejection letter from SAIC-painting and drawing as well last Saturday, offering me a prior degree program. It is my first year for MFA application too. Since I have not put any efforts into my portfolio, I was not surprised or anything.

After talking to a person from SAIC a little bit, I have decided to take the offer; I am a Chicago resident already so I don't need to move for it. Most of all, I see myself taking advantages of the SAIC faculty and facilities for my future portfolio.

REALLY PEOPLE?!  REALLY?!!?!?!  (not you guys)

Yeah, so i check the mail, and wow... a big thing from Carnegie Mellon, and one from Pratt!  

Just graduate catalogs.  

Thankfully, I was prepared for this, since someone had posted it earlier, plus I didn't apply to Pratt (I don't even remember going on their website). But really, how cruel can they get?  I mean, why do they send these out several weeks after the deadlines have passed?  

Oh well, at least i have some free magazines now.  

I feel ya! The other day I saw an email from Columbia's School of the Arts, and it was just a departmental news announcement. Then today I see Columbia School of the Arts again in my in-box, and this time it was a time line of how the rest of the admissions process will go. At this rate, if I actually do get the real thing, I'll be so desensitized that I hope I don't miss it! O_o

Edited by lady rainicorn

I got an email from Pratt a few hours ago titled: An Important Message about your Pratt Application

But it was just random stuff about how they've received all the necessary documents and they'll make their decisions by mid-to-late March.

I haven't checked my snail-mail in a while! I should.

I actually began this whole process thinking I would get accepted everywhere I applied to.. But after the Yale rejection and the silence from U-Penn (expected rejection) I'm starting to lose confidence. I didn't realise it was this difficult, to be honest.

Ah well.. Another month and bit to go before this is all over I guess!

Do international students apply for fasfa too? Or is it just for US citizens?

Is that the only way to get funding for RISD?

I'm so confused D:

if I understand correctly from what I read on the FAFSA official website, us citizens, green card holders, refugees, ect...

i mean, it is a federal student aid after all... 

I got an email from Pratt a few hours ago titled: An Important Message about your Pratt Application

But it was just random stuff about how they've received all the necessary documents and they'll make their decisions by mid-to-late March.

I haven't checked my snail-mail in a while! I should.

I actually began this whole process thinking I would get accepted everywhere I applied to.. But after the Yale rejection and the silence from U-Penn (expected rejection) I'm starting to lose confidence. I didn't realise it was this difficult, to be honest.

Ah well.. Another month and bit to go before this is all over I guess!

i feel your pain!

Do international students apply for fasfa too? Or is it just for US citizens?

Is that the only way to get funding for RISD?

I'm so confused D:

International students do not apply for fafsa. I'm pretty sure it's only for US citizens and US permanent residents. If the school has a separate financial aid section for international students, then you should apply and may be eligible to receive some aid. Otherwise, schools (such as RISD) may offer merit based scholarships to international students. 

International students do not apply for fafsa. I'm pretty sure it's only for US citizens and US permanent residents. If the school has a separate financial aid section for international students, then you should apply and may be eligible to receive some aid. Otherwise, schools (such as RISD) may offer merit based scholarships to international students. 

Eligibility for non-US citizens:

http://studentaid.ed.gov/eligibility/non-us-citizens

General eligibility:

http://studentaid.ed.gov/eligibility/basic-criteria

Anyone hear from MICA graphic design?

I asked them yesterday about painting, and got a very general response(not specific towards painting) 

"Admission decisions will be sent in mid-March. Thank you for your patience, as there is a lot of material to review and we need to be thorough."

it sounds like they are still reviewing, but i also heard from this forum that they ARE interviewing finalists.... so who knows...