So what age are the ages of all you grad school hopefuls this year?

Biostat_Assistant_Prof

I feel like I'm a bit younger than most other people. I'm 21 and will be entering grad school literally days after my 22nd birthday. I feel like most students are 24 or older.... Im curious as to how us younger students are perceived by the older ones? I feel like we may be subject to not being taken as seriously as the older, more life experienced students.

I'm 40 and I have very little chance of getting in. The reason is that faculty are looking for kids they can mold and shape into what they think are good copies of themselves. Also when you're younger you're less competition and not much of a threat. I think you have an excellent chance.

22 year old here!  And will be turning 23 this year.  I am not sure if the reason I will not be taken seriously will be because of my age, but because I have the appearance of a teenager (according to many people who think when I graduated, I graduated from high school rather than undergrad -_-). 

I feel like I'm a bit younger than most other people. I'm 21 and will be entering grad school literally days after my 22nd birthday. I feel like most students are 24 or older.... Im curious as to how us younger students are perceived by the older ones? I feel like we may be subject to not being taken as seriously as the older, more life experienced students.

I think your age is pretty common, because many students apply after undergrad.  If you are confident in your research interests and skills, I am sure people will take you seriously. 

I was 22 entering my Master's program and I'll be 24 entering a PhD program (with hope!). My current program has a range of ages since the department offers a 5 year MA for undergrads. I don't think age or appearance has anything to do with being taken seriously. It has far more to do with being a decent person to your colleagues and being articulate when you speak up in class. 

I'll be 26 at the start of graduate school. I feel like the older one because a lot of the prospective students at my first interview weekend were senior undergrads, but during my 2nd interview most of us had been out of school for at least a year, but I still believe I was one of the oldest. There were a few who clearly had a couple years on me.

I was 22 when I when to grad school the first time and got my MS. I'm 26 now and will be turning 27 when I start my PhD.

I feel a lot better prepared and more mature going into this now. I'm glad I took a little time off.

I am 24.  I applied to a program that starts in the summer, and I turn 25 in July.  When I attened the interview for the program, it seemed to be a good mix of younger and older women. (I am applying to a counseling program, and there was not a single man interviewing!)

27, will be 28 shortly after the fall semester begins.

I also don't think age is that big of deal, every grad program I've seen has been highly varied.

I'll be 39 when I undergraduate :)  and hopefully get into grad school.  For those who are older who think the PhD programs always want young minds to mold -- I don't think that's always true. I've heard through the grapevine that some professors prefer older students for several reasons.  The door swings both ways -- though its probably true that those who want younger students are in the majority.

I don't think one way or the other is better -- meh, some of us just live life backwards.  Also, most adults go through some type of career change 3-4 times in their lifetime, so I think its kinda natural to reconsider your lifestyle in your 30's and 40's.  

I'm just so ridiculously grateful for the opportunity to go back -- it just makes me all bubbly inside. ha ha.

@PanicMode -- It could be the difference in fields?  I think the social sciences (psychology and all its branches, social work etc) probably have a different theoretical outlook.   I'm just reporting what I know and see too.

So I'll clarify, that what I said applies to the social sciences PhD's rather than to all PhD's, because that's what I am familiar with.  Also, down in the social work forum there is a Social Work PhD professor who basically states that some Social Work programs  prefer older students.  I didn't mean to intrude on your area of expertise :)

I'm 40 and I have very little chance of getting in. The reason is that faculty are looking for kids they can mold and shape into what they think are good copies of themselves. Also when you're younger you're less competition and not much of a threat. I think you have an excellent chance.

Do you really think that? I see many "older" grad students.  I am 39 and I definitely don't think I have "little" chance.  I have a lot of life background and great grades. I also have an insatiable desire that sometimes isn't present at younger ages.  Don't sell yourself short.  If you have the credentials, you have a chance!

@Goobah, we'll be the same age when we graduate - good for you!  I've also heard positive things about older students in Social Work (which is what I am planning to study).  I guess it's because there are a lot of career changers in that field.  I wish I was younger - mid twenties would be nice! - but I'm ready now and I believe there will be a program ready for me now too.  Maybe I can't get top-tier awesome school and maybe it is because of my age (though I don't know that I buy that).  Regardless, I'm pushing forward and I won't let age stop me from obtaining the credentials I need to have the career I want.