Fall 2014 applicants??

Anyone want to claim those FSU acceptances and provide us with any additional info?

I was one of them.  Email from DGS and a Teaching Assistantship, but no details; those are to follow, via snail mail. Also mentioned an open house on March 18 which they might help cover the cost of a hotel- I might take them up on it if I can work out my teaching schedule. 

I was one of them.  Email from DGS and a Teaching Assistantship, but no details; those are to follow, via snail mail. Also mentioned an open house on March 18 which they might help cover the cost of a hotel- I might take them up on it if I can work out my teaching schedule. 

Congrats! :) That's wonderful. Can you say what time your email came in (and in what time zone)? I'm neurotic. Haha. My mentor graduate from FSU and I'm afraid he's going to be very upset with me when I don't get in.

Congrats! :) That's wonderful. Can you say what time your email came in (and in what time zone)? I'm neurotic. Haha. My mentor graduate from FSU and I'm afraid he's going to be very upset with me when I don't get in.

Thanks! 3pm EST.

There go more U of Washington rejections. Puzzled as to why they were almost someone's safety, though. Maybe they applied mostly to top 20...Washington feels like a reach to me

That baffles me, as well, especially because they have a reputation for being super selective.

There go more U of Washington rejections. Puzzled as to why they were almost someone's safety, though. Maybe they applied mostly to top 20...Washington feels like a reach to me

This. I was thinking the same thing. I'm also still waiting! It's really difficult to finish reading for my 7 p.m. Zizek seminar when I'm refreshing my email twice a minute.

So torn.. I don't want to ask my professors for YET ANOTHER LETTER, but I've been accepted to a school nearby with no funding and there's a fellowship I can apply for still.. it's my go-to if my dream school doesn't work out because it will be a huge move and I'm worried about how I'll afford to live there. 

Her last name starts with an "S." Mine is "H," but I haven't heard anything. Her theory is that this is the first round of rejections.

Yeah, I would come before her if they were doing it alphabetically. *shrug* Who can fathom the mystery that is PhD app notifications?

Howdy! Long-time lurker. I'm Kamisha's friend who received the UW rejection. Not sure of their notification methods either, but another thought I had was that they might be notifying those with incomplete or late materials. One of my LOR's came in late, and my writing sample was, shall we say, a little short. Just a thought. 

I emailed Chicago and asked when to expect results (aka rejections), and they informed me that decisions had been finalized and would be released by the end of this week or early next week at the latest. Obviously acceptances have already been sent out, so what kind of sick pleasure are they really getting from almost 3 weeks of holding on to rejections?

Also, does anyone remember when a poster in this thread shared the response the department had given him after he asked if all acceptances had already been sent out? They told him they accepted in waves and that the first round of admittances had been sent but that they were preparing the next. It does seem to me like this person got 100% bullshitted by the department -- don't you think?

Yeah, I was that poster, and I feel as though they completely pulled the wool over my eyes. I know it can't be easy to tell the truth to people who are in for massive disappointment, but it still seems a bit...cowardly.

Hello!

I, too, am a long-time lurker.

Did anyone get an email from Northeastern late January asking if they'd like to be considered for the MA program? The Graduate Program assistant reached out and asked since I didn't indicate an MA interest in my statement of purpose. I said yes because... why not?

Anyway, I was rejected from Northeastern's PhD program last week, and I'm wondering when they'll get around to their MA applicants. I've been getting implied rejections all around, so any good news would be nice to hear....

Anyone else get that MA consideration email from NU?

Howdy! Long-time lurker. I'm Kamisha's friend who received the UW rejection. Not sure of their notification methods either, but another thought I had was that they might be notifying those with incomplete or late materials. One of my LOR's came in late, and my writing sample was, shall we say, a little short. Just a thought.

Welcome to the dark side. Mwahahahahaha.

Somebody posted a waitlist at UC Irvine. Does anybody have any more information about this school? Have they sent out acceptances? Anybody know whats going on at UCI?

They sent out acceptances a while ago, but hadn't made all of their decisions. I'm in limbo, as well. Sending positive vibes your way.

A few pages back, some wise poster cautioned against re-reading your SOP. I (stupidly) took the challenge, and re-read the statement I submitted to one of my top-choice programs.

At first, I was totally reassured. I had said what I wanted to say, how I wanted to say it. Then catastrophe: I realized that I used the wrong name for one of my POIs. The name I used IS someone whose work I'm tangentially interested in, and I was looking through some of his recent projects while I was writing my SOP; but he's in a different area than the one I described being interested in, and not someone I would expect to work closely with at the program. I certainly did not intend to mention him in my SOP.

So I'm taking the time between panic attacks to solicit the advice of the forum: is there anything to be done? I'm currently on the waitlist at this school, and I'm attending the open house. Should I try to find a way to talk to the professor I intended to name in my SOP, mention the mistake, and express my interest in his work? Or is any kind of corrective just going to draw more attention to the error? The agony of being on the waitlist has now rocketed into the stratosphere.

At first, I was totally reassured. I had said what I wanted to say, how I wanted to say it. Then catastrophe: I realized that I used the wrong name for one of my POIs. The name I used IS someone whose work I'm tangentially interested in, and I was looking through some of his recent projects while I was writing my SOP; but he's in a different area than the one I described being interested in, and not someone I would expect to work closely with at the program. I certainly did not intend to mention him in my SOP.

Something similar happens to me too. In my SOP for one school, I mentioned a professor whose research interest I am in line with. However, when I re-read it, I realized that the professor DOES not teach in that school. That's very bad!