Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

This A Wuffle is actually known for publishing articles on  very unusual topics and his website is somewhat inconsistent and childish. Some of his pieces are:

-"The pure theory of elevators"

-"Should you brush your teeth on November 6, 1984?: A rational choice perspective"

-"Death where is thy sting? The Senate as a Ponce (de Leon) scheme."

Well, after reading the titles, it becomes actually amusing.

Um.

Yuuuupppp!

I don't have access to the paper, so I can't say for sure, but i'm struggling to see the purpose of this paper besides pointing out that most successful pol sco folks are males with common names.

I get that he does lots of jokes, but this one isn't funny to me. 

Edited by mv0027

Current Research: 

"I am a mathematical muddler specializing in metrical gibber, muddles of cognitive blintz, applications of macaroni chain theory, the life and works of Mo Fiorina and Edgar Rice Burroughs, and the epistemioincological development and literary exposition of the Wuffeauldian paradigm of post-rational research."  

oo35Z.gif

Edited by Poli92

I claim the UC Boulder rejection. This was expected after a long wait. Congrats to those who got in. 

Too bad about the rejection. Good luck with your other programs.

I am still waiting to hear back from Boulder. I don't know whether to take this as a sign of imminent doom or a flicker of hope.

Edited by sylark

Slow day today...

The calm before the storm. It looks like 3 of my programs should be making decisions next week, with the other 6 following shortly thereafter. I may end up missing the quiet  :wacko:

What is the consensus about interviews - namely, for Emory or UW?  Is an interview a necessary but insufficient requisite to receiving an eventual offer, or is it possible to still get an offer even if they never contacted you for an interview? 

Hello, all. Quiet today... I received an acceptance from Ohio State through their website last week; I still haven't received any e-mail from the graduate school, though. I know a few people were experiencing the same issue last week; since, I have seen some postings on the results page citing an e-mail. Is anyone else still in the position I am? Just particularly curious since there is little else happening on the admissions front today.

Edited by B-squared

The calm before the storm. It looks like 3 of my programs should be making decisions next week, with the other 6 following shortly thereafter. I may end up missing the quiet  :wacko:

Which programs do you think will notify next week? I really wish there was a national "release results" day, the wait is agonizing.

Hello, all. Quiet today... I received an acceptance from Ohio State through their website last week; I still haven't received any e-mail from the graduate school, though. I know a few people were experiencing the same issue last week; since, I have seen some postings on the results page citing an e-mail. Is anyone else still in the position I am? Just particularly curious since there is little else happening on the admissions front today.

I also got an acceptance through the website, but have not received any further communication from the graduate school. From my conversations with my POI, my best guess would be that the graduate school will send out emails mid-February and the funding information will come late February/early March. Visitation weekend is mid-March I believe..

What is the consensus about interviews - namely, for Emory or UW?  Is an interview a necessary but insufficient requisite to receiving an eventual offer, or is it possible to still get an offer even if they never contacted you for an interview? 

This was some time ago, but I interviewed at Emory.  My understanding was that there was a group of applications that had been admitted without the requirement of an interview and that there was a second pool of those to be interviewed.  Among those that interviewed, some were not offered admission.  Whether the interview itself was at all informative, I don't know.

Again, this was a few years back, but that was my understanding.