Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

I have a hunch that Yale would issue result next week.

One of my friends said last year she was admitted to Yale in March. Weird that all the results on here indicate a Feb release. I didn't think she was waitlisted there...

So I guess Stanford's going to be next week?

Let's hope. Would be nice if one of the Stanford students who lurks on here could verify if they know...

Edited by packrat

I know. I ordered a new bass from America and it's arriving soon, presumably on the next week. universities came to an arrangement with the postal service in order to send me offers and notification that my bass has come at the same day! They want to make a surprise for me:-)

Same, I'm interested in IR and human rights too. Plus, my SO got accepted into Minnesota's philosophy phd program, so I REALLY hope I at least get wait-listed. But I've still heard nothing. 

I should also say congratulations on your other offers!

Hey ensli, I don't know why I only saw your posts now (despite being on this forum like all the time).

Ironically, I'm in a pretty similar situation since my SO has a job offer lined up for Minneapolis. Happy Valentine's Day babe, I just got rejected from the one school that's in the city you wanted to move to! And then, just as I was starting to make good progress in accepting the rejection, I see this on the submission page about Minnesota: "Website had a rejection letter posted. Got an email two hours later from graduate coordinator bringing me back and adding me to the waitlist... Will be declining." Are you serious?! I feel like I could kill a puppy right now to be put un that wait-list... Just kidding I would never. 

But hey, we both have other offers (congratulations back to you!) so we'll be just fine. Right?

Ironically, I'm in a pretty similar situation since my SO has a job offer lined up for Minneapolis. Happy Valentine's Day babe, I just got rejected from the one school that's in the city you wanted to move to!

Actually, this leads me to a question I've had for a while: How are folks with partners coordinating their applications and plans for (probably) moving away from wherever they're at now? Are you planning to go long-distance, or will they move with you and find another job? Are they also enrolling in programs? This year, I narrowed my search to the east coast with two slight exceptions (Michigan, because Michigan; and Vanderbilt, because it's a few hours from my hometown), but next year (I'm 4/7 rejections right now, with another presumed), I'll be widening my application net and wondering how to convince my partner--husband by then--to move across the country.

Actually, this leads me to a question I've had for a while: How are folks with partners coordinating their applications and plans for (probably) moving away from wherever they're at now? Are you planning to go long-distance, or will they move with you and find another job? Are they also enrolling in programs? This year, I narrowed my search to the east coast with two slight exceptions (Michigan, because Michigan; and Vanderbilt, because it's a few hours from my hometown), but next year (I'm 4/7 rejections right now, with another presumed), I'll be widening my application net and wondering how to convince my partner--husband by then--to move across the country.

This is an issue for us too, although a little different since we live in Europe right now and my partner wants to come back to the states sooner or later anyways. But we're geographically limited by a) my partner's families NY focus and B) my wish to be a direct flight from home (am from Europe) and c) her lack of driving. The latter meant eg that I didn't apply to UNC, although there would've been a prof i'd really like to work with. In terms on where on the East Coast, we agreed I have a half vote more, but she does international NGO stuff, so DC or NY metropolitan area are her preferred options. That limited the schools I applied to and I'm two rejections (NYU presumed) of 5. We'll see how we deal with it next year, but I will have to widen my net a little bit.  

Same here. The more I look at it, the more I realize that most of the schools that I applied to were not great fits but rather the only schools where there some sort of a fit from the small number of schools that I could choose from.

But maybe this is just the rejections talking..

Edited by Cazorla

Hey ensli, I don't know why I only saw your posts now (despite being on this forum like all the time).

Ironically, I'm in a pretty similar situation since my SO has a job offer lined up for Minneapolis. Happy Valentine's Day babe, I just got rejected from the one school that's in the city you wanted to move to! And then, just as I was starting to make good progress in accepting the rejection, I see this on the submission page about Minnesota: "Website had a rejection letter posted. Got an email two hours later from graduate coordinator bringing me back and adding me to the waitlist... Will be declining." Are you serious?! I feel like I could kill a puppy right now to be put un that wait-list... Just kidding I would never. 

But hey, we both have other offers (congratulations back to you!) so we'll be just fine. Right?

Yeah, I got rejected to Minnesota too. =/ I saw the rejected-to-waitlist post before I got rejected and was hopeful that maybe I would somehow end up on the wait-list. Oh well I guess. I hope your situation works out, and you and your SO are still able to live together next year. 

When my SO and I set out to apply to PhD programs, we didn't care at all where we ended up, just as long as we ended up somewhere near each other (within an hour or two hours from each other). So we applied to university-rich areas, like southern California, the north east (especially NYC, Philadelphia, and New Jersey). We applied to some midwest schools, which we've both gotten into, just not the same ones. So far, it's not looking good. But then again, we still have several schools left to hear back from. 

Good luck with the rest of your programs! I hope you hear good news soon.

This is an issue for us too, although a little different since we live in Europe right now and my partner wants to come back to the states sooner or later anyways. But we're geographically limited by a) my partner's families NY focus and B) my wish to be a direct flight from home (am from Europe) and c) her lack of driving. The latter meant eg that I didn't apply to UNC, although there would've been a prof i'd really like to work with. In terms on where on the East Coast, we agreed I have a half vote more, but she does international NGO stuff, so DC or NY metropolitan area are her preferred options. That limited the schools I applied to and I'm two rejections (NYU presumed) of 5. We'll see how we deal with it next year, but I will have to widen my net a little bit.  

Good luck with everything. If it doesn't work out for my SO and me this year, I'll just do international NGO stuff. It's something I've always wanted to do. 

Same here. The more I look at it, the more I realize that most of the schools that I applied to were not great fits but rather the only schools where there some sort of a fit from the small number of schools that I could choose from.

But maybe this is just the rejections talking..

Yeah, I got rejected to Minnesota too. =/ I saw the rejected-to-waitlist post before I got rejected and was hopeful that maybe I would somehow end up on the wait-list. Oh well I guess. I hope your situation works out, and you and your SO are still able to live together next year. 

When my SO and I set out to apply to PhD programs, we didn't care at all where we ended up, just as long as we ended up somewhere near each other (within an hour or two hours from each other). So we applied to university-rich areas, like southern California, the north east (especially NYC, Philadelphia, and New Jersey). We applied to some midwest schools, which we've both gotten into, just not the same ones. So far, it's not looking good. But then again, we still have several schools left to hear back from. 

Good luck with the rest of your programs! I hope you hear good news soon.

Good luck with everything. If it doesn't work out for my SO and me this year, I'll just do international NGO stuff. It's something I've always wanted to do. 

Yeah, similar situation here as well. I finished my undergrad last spring and spent this year doing "international NGO stuff" while I worked on my applications. My SO is going to graduate college in May and already had a job offer in Minneapolis, so I was hoping to get into Minnesota – it would have made things so much easier! The dream was crushed yesterday...

But no, we ruled out long-distance since we have already done it twice for extended periods of time. I am from Europe and applied to programs only in the US to move closer to my SO, so pretty much whichever school I'll choose to attend, that's where the SO will look for a job. 

Hope it'll work out for all of us, one way or another! 

My partner is a fed here in DC, and I've had a few years of professional research experience (including my current job), so we'll stay here if I don't get accepted anywhere. I'm thankful we don't have to contend with working out how to be together now, and glad he's flexible enough to roll with this quirky desire of mine to run away to Grad School: The Sequel. I'm glad I'm not the only one wrestling with that.

I picked schools east of the Mississippi so we could be close enough to at least see each other often, so I think I had the same issue as you, Cazorla, in picking programs close enough to my interests and physically closer to my partner, if he stayed here. Some were (and are!) great fits, and some are less so. I'll prioritize differently next year, strengthen my application where I can, but I want to keep Mr Nimbus close by, too!

My SO commissions as an Army officer in May, so we've been attempting to mastermind locations since before the cycle started. With his training dates, he won't officially know where he'll be long term until next spring--right now our options include him signing for more years to get his first station near me or us racking up significant frequent flyer miles.

Not liking this whole three-day-weekend-in-the-middle-of-the-graduate-admissions-cycle thing. Not liking it at all.

It's really bugging me too. I just want to knowwwww!!!

Has anyone heard anything regarding Johns Hopkins? 

Nope... Tick tock. Waiting, hoping. I think the few snow days this area has gotten might have something to do with the delay relative to the historically average decision times. 

Is anyone else regretting that they only applied to schools with historically relatively late decision times? It's starting to freak me out, honestly. Next year's applicants: Apply to at least one school with decisions in January so you won't get in the same position...

I completely agree. Other than the two rejections (Berkeley and UW) the others seem to be late decisions as well (such as GW). Very stressful, to say the least.

Anyone applied to the Regional Studies - East Asia AM at Harvard? I wonder if their decisions will come around the same as their Gov PhD program.

Last year, they came out mid-March, I think, according to the results board, while PhD Government decisions should be out the beginning of March. They are really late!