PhD applications for 2014 chit chat...

sacklunch

Ahh someone was accepted off a Yale waitlist! I want that ... 

If that person doesn't mind sharing, were you notified you were on a waitlist prior to receiving the news of being admitted? Or did you just find out you were on the waitlist when you came off of it? 

So I have yet to actually post on here, but is it possible that people are just posting their acceptances on the Results Search just to mess with people?  My understanding is that Yale doesn't usually accept or reject anyone until later in March.  This coming from a friend in the program. I am also hopeful that this is the case because I would have loved that spot.  I haven't heard anything from them and so far have 2 rejections and 4 applications where I have not heard anything.

It's possible but I kind of doubt it. 

Actually, I have it on good authority that all those being offered admission at Yale have already been contacted - I'm just not sure if that is a "first round" or if that's it. And so I wanted to know if the person reporting being admitted off a waitlist was part of this first round or if they are perhaps doing more. 

Edited by theogeek

I'm really sorry, guys. I don't know what would've caused the confusion with what the professor said. Perhaps he meant that the decisions would be released to the professors? I guess that would explain the one person being told they got in through their POI?

Ahh someone was accepted off a Yale waitlist! I want that ... 

If that person doesn't mind sharing, were you notified you were on a waitlist prior to receiving the news of being admitted? Or did you just find out you were on the waitlist when you came off of it? 

Whoever posted they were off the wait list from Yale is mistaken. AC took two students this year, so perhaps they were simply not notified immediately. Otherwise it is a lie. As for the wait list, the first person on it is Judaic Studies, and the second is Hebrew Bible. The wait list is within the entire department --- subfield do not have their own wait lists. 

Edited by rabgogh06

Whoever posted they were off the wait list from Yale is mistaken. AC took two students this year, so perhaps they were simply not notified immediately. Otherwise it is a lie. As for the wait list, the first person on it is Judaic Studies, and the second is Hebrew Bible. The wait list is within the entire department --- subfield do not have their own wait lists. 

That's good to know. Unfortunately I'm not in either of those subfields. Ah well, it was just a long shot. 

the harvard thing I heard from several very good sources, but i'm shockingly calm with whatever the outcome. I've been so stressed for so long I haven't really stopped to appreciate that I'm living an already very happy and contented life, and this letter changes nothing. Good luck to all of us, inshallah all will be good, no matter what the outcome is.

Whoa! Well done! Was there any mention of when other acceptances would be sent out? Last year acceptances seem to have been sent out on February 28. Anyone that didn't hear at that time seems to have been either wait-listed or rejected from March 12-18.

I have emailed in to ask as well.

Edited by therealhogwarts