Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

Hi Everyone!

I received my letter from UofT and was pleasantly greeted with a wait-list offer. I am considering this a big accomplishment as I was fearing an outright rejection.

I realize I probably won't get in through the wait-list but just knowing that I was close makes me even more motivated to get my experience up and apply again next year.

I wanted to say thank you to everyone here for all the encouraging stories of re-applying I can't be disappointed seeing how much you have all earned your spots in the program. 

Also I have a question - it says that you can send an updated transcript if you haven't graduated, which is my case, and I will do that.

However I am wondering about sending updates if you gain volunteer/work experience during the summer, does anyone know if that is allowed? 

They say in the letter there is no order to the wait-list and that applications get reviewed when spots open so I want to add on as I am beginning more volunteering this month.

Hi B39, you can send an updated resume as long as you're on the waitlist. I updated it about 3 times last year, even once in August, and just sent it to Angela who updated her files. 

Hi B39, you can send an updated resume as long as you're on the waitlist. I updated it about 3 times last year, even once in August, and just sent it to Angela who updated her files. 

Do you think the same could be applied to Windsor? I am wait-listed there (I think... my status still says "referred to department"). 

I also found out today that I'm officially wait-listed.  Does anyone know how many people are typically on the U of T wait list, and how much movement there was in previous years?  I'm not sure if I should call this one a lost cause for this year and move on, or maintain hope. 

If you've been on the wait list previous years and had input, I'd appreciate any advice!

Just got mail from UofT with a rejection letter to the 2 year MSW. It's definitely sad to read, there was a lot of effort put just applying and getting reference letters etc.

Apparently over 800 applicants so I guess I'm not alone...

Today I also received the big brown envelope from the lakehead BSW but very undecided on that as it means moving away and way more expensive.

I also found out today that I'm officially wait-listed.  Does anyone know how many people are typically on the U of T wait list, and how much movement there was in previous years?  I'm not sure if I should call this one a lost cause for this year and move on, or maintain hope. 

If you've been on the wait list previous years and had input, I'd appreciate any advice!

I believe last year about 75 people made it on the wait list. Which is a huge feat considering only about 150 get in and over 800 people apply. I'm not too sure how big the wait list is this year though. Unfortunately, since it's UofT, not many people decline so there isn't much movement on the wait list. However, it does happen. I was in contact with someone who applied in 2012 and she actually got off of the wait list about a week before September. She said she worked on her resume all summer and continued to send Angela an updated resume. 

I'd just start working towards your next plan and hope for the best. Although i imagine getting off of the wait list that late in the summer would be a nightmare for people who live outside of Toronto. 

I was waitlisted as well.  I would have been crushed if I was rejected as I was waitlisted last year with about half the experience.  So here we go again. Last year all the movement off the waitlist was in the spring with almost no movement over the summer...it made for a very stressful end of the summer as I held on to hope until the very last day (the Friday before first day of school). 

For myself I am going to move on with my life, but maintain home until the end of May and then try with all my might to consider it a lost cause.

Good luck for everyone wait-listed it is a very stressful thing, but I was told last year that if you are wait listed you are eligible for the program, it's just a competitive program.

Not sure how many people are on the waitlist...anyone know that?  

Congrats to all that were accepted!!!

I would highly recommend doing the BSW.  I applied to 2 year programs last year as well as the BSW at UW and was rejected to the MSW and accepted to the BSW.   I am currently doing my BSW and I was accepted to UofT Advanced Standing and waitlisted to Laurier (which is actually quite an accomplishment).  There are so many more applicants to 2 year MSW programs and the odds of getting in are so much lower.  With the UofT advanced standing approximately 1 in 3 people get in (approximately 280 applicants and they accept 90 students).  Your odds of getting into any MSW when you already have a BSW are much higher.  JMHO.

Just got mail from UofT with a rejection letter to the 2 year MSW. It's definitely sad to read, there was a lot of effort put just applying and getting reference letters etc.

Today I also received the big brown envelope from the lakehead BSW but very undecided on that as it means moving away and way more expensive.

For the people that were 'invited' at U of T, did you receive a letter in the mail saying you were accepted?

I was invited, but don't want to get my hopes up until I see the letter! :)

Congratulations to those who have been accepted and waitlisted!

Out of curiosity has anyone heard about OGS results? I know Laurier moved there response back 10 days, but Windsor's was suppose to be out by the end of March and I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Also, for those accepted to Windsor's 2 year program here is the link for the FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/137920976378160/

I would highly recommend doing the BSW.  I applied to 2 year programs last year as well as the BSW at UW and was rejected to the MSW and accepted to the BSW.   I am currently doing my BSW and I was accepted to UofT Advanced Standing and waitlisted to Laurier (which is actually quite an accomplishment).  There are so many more applicants to 2 year MSW programs and the odds of getting in are so much lower.  With the UofT advanced standing approximately 1 in 3 people get in (approximately 280 applicants and they accept 90 students).  Your odds of getting into any MSW when you already have a BSW are much higher.  JMHO.

Thank you for the advice, that is very helpful! I was wondering about that as well. So having a BSW will give me better odds of getting into a MSW program. Also, with a BSW I will be more qualified for jobs within the field, as I am having trouble getting hired with just a BSc. 

I completely understand I also got my rejection letter today. I am debating whether or not doing my BSW I just dont know if I want to go through another undergrad program.

Look at it this way - if it is a one year BSW then you have a higher chance of getting into a 1 year MSW for a total of 2 years.  Or you wait a year and re-apply for a 2 year MSW - total time is 3 years.  Also once you have the BSW you are able to register as a social worker and work in the field.  That's just my opinion though.

I completely understand I also got my rejection letter today. I am debating whether or not doing my BSW I just dont know if I want to go through another undergrad program.

Hello all,

For those of you who have applied to MSW programs in the past, do any of the universities happen to keep your academic and/or professional references on file from year to year? I heard somewhere that this happens....the schools I am personally interested in are York, Ryerson, and U of T - being from the GTA. Also curious about the online programs at UVic and Dalhousie...One of the most challenging things about doing my MSW applications for the first time this year was requesting the references. I don't like putting people out and I felt apprehenisve about requesting multiple references from profs and my supervisor at work. Definitely not a comfortable experience!

Also, again wondering if anyone has any info about movement on the York MSW Advanced Standing waitlist? And is it unusual to have heard nothing at all from Ryerson's MSW program?

Thanks!! Good luck to everyone!! :)

Edited by m7238

Hello all,

For those of you who have applied to MSW programs in the past, do any of the universities happen to keep your academic and/or professional references on file from year to year? I heard somewhere that this happens....the schools I am personally interested in are York, Ryerson, and U of T - being from the GTA. Also curious about the online programs at UVic and Dalhousie...One of the most challenging things about doing my MSW applications for the first time this year was requesting the references. I don't like putting people out and I felt apprehenisve about requesting multiple references from profs and my supervisor at work. Definitely not a comfortable experience!

Also, again wondering if anyone has any info about movement on the York MSW Advanced Standing waitlist? And is it unusual to have heard nothing at all from Ryerson's MSW program?

That is a really good question, I was just thinking about how annoying I am getting to everyone with these references. Especially with UofT because it was a much more detailed form to fill out (and mail in if it isn't a professor). 

Hello all,

Feel the same way when asking for references too.....

About York's Advanced Standing waitlist, the confirmation deadline is April 9, since York's funding package is really great, many people may still trying to make decisions.  After the deadline, York may start to give out more offers for the Advanced Standing program again. 

Good luck! 

Edited by turtle2014

For the people that were 'invited' at U of T, did you receive a letter in the mail saying you were accepted?

I was invited, but don't want to get my hopes up until I see the letter! :)

Haven't got anything yet either. I believe another poster mentioned that Angela said they would be mailed out on Monday so I suspect we will be receiving letters sometime next week. 

To the advanced standing acceptances: have you received letters yet? How long after seeing your invitation on Rossi did your letter come in? 

That is a really good question, I was just thinking about how annoying I am getting to everyone with these references. Especially with UofT because it was a much more detailed form to fill out (and mail in if it isn't a professor). 

This was my second time applying to UFT for the MSW 2 year program. Before starting my application the second time around I asked Angela if I would need to submit an entire new application and references and she said yes. I also asked if the admissions committee would know that this was my second time applying and she said no. You may want to double check again with her in case anything has changed. 

Edited by ma989

Look at it this way - if it is a one year BSW then you have a higher chance of getting into a 1 year MSW for a total of 2 years.  Or you wait a year and re-apply for a 2 year MSW - total time is 3 years.  Also once you have the BSW you are able to register as a social worker and work in the field.  That's just my opinion though.

Really? I thought it would take at least 2 years because (i go to york) and when i checked it was like 50 credits that needed to be taken??

I was just unsure if I wanted to take a year off to volunteer and pay off some undergrad debts but now I'm wondering if I should do the BSW instead.

Is this what you did? and got into advanced standing?

Hi Everyone,

I am just wondering if anyone who has sent updated resumes in the past (to UofT) knows whether you have to follow the same structure as during the application process (i.e., hours per position)?

This was my second time applying to UFT for the MSW 2 year program. Before starting my application the second time around I asked Angela if I would need to submit an entire new application and references and she said yes. I also asked if the admissions committee would know that this was my second time applying and she said no. You may want to double check again with her in case anything has changed. 

Thank you ma989 for this information. Also I was just wondering since this is your second time applying to the two year program what did you change to boost your application this year? (if you don't mind my asking) 

I just wanted to give an update about York's post-degree BSW: I just noticed I received an email yesterday (although it had hit my spam folder) inviting me to that program. Anyone who's applied may want to check their myfile accounts.

Good luck to everyone waiting and deciding.

My friend and I were both 'invited' to UofT's 2 year MSW program! She received her acceptance letter yesterday, I am still waiting on mine! Letters were sent out on Wednesday

Just checked MyFile and I've been rejected by York's 2-year MSW. Not too shaken up since I'd already made my choice. Congrats to all those who made it in!