Best Rejection Reactions - 2015

ERR_Alpha

University Of Montevallo Speech Pathology, Masters (F15)

Rejected via Postal Service on 20 Mar 2015 ♦ A 20 Mar 2015

The rejection letter smelled pretty good when I burned it

I can relate. One school sent me a rejection email and then mailed me a hard copy of the rejection, ya know, just in case I had any lingering hope hahaha!

University Of Houston Speech Pathology, Masters (F15)

Rejected via Postal Service on 20 Mar 2015 A 20 Mar 2015

some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant. I guess I better go to hair school or take up freelance photography **roles eyes** Good luck yall... call me if you need highlights or a back to school mini session

Accurate

Edited by Lycaon

CMU Computer Science, PhD (F15) Rejected via E-mail on 20 Feb 2015 I 23 Mar 2015
  • I got my bachelor's degree from Stanford, but there (sic) professors didn't appreciate my talents. Therefore I wanted to pursue my studies at CMU at doctorate level. Now with their rejection, I have to follow a path similar to Bill Gate's. I will soon open my company and show them what an opportunity they missed by rejecting me...

Sounds like a super villain in the making. - "I'll show them... I'LL SHOW THEM ALL!".

Brandeis Musicology, PhD (F15) Rejected via Website on 23 Mar 2015 A 23 Mar 2015

• I'm going to turn to a much cheaper type of Brandy to get over this one. :[

Is that a pun????  :D

Clemson University Chemical Engineering, PhD (F15) Rejected via E-mail on 23 Mar 2015 I 23 Mar 2015
  • They do not deserve to have good student

Yikes.

Man a lot of people burn their rejection letters...

Memorial University Of Newfoundland English, PhD (F15) Rejected via Postal Service on 23 Mar 2015  I 23 Mar 2015
  • report spam
  • The letter smelled lovely when I burned it... It was very curt, verging on rude.

This one's a real thinker:

BU, Economics PhD; Rejected:

"I bought a watch last year."

How... cryptic. I'm not sure exactly how that relates, but deep down I know it does.

I could be wrong, but I believe watches are (or were) a typical gift received upon promotion in the business/financial sector.  

Duke U; Applied Mathematics, PhD (F15); Rejected

"Grad GPA 3.95, two papers. So rude! Somebody is not as good as me but got an offer! Do not know the conditions for admission, quite upsite"

Such modesty.

And other kind young soul:

University Of Texas At Austin; Electrical And Computer Engineering, PhD (F15); Rejected

"Fuck that professor who told me that he would support me until last week, but refused to answer any emails after that. Probably he found another student. Please behave according to ethics you filthy beasts at UT Austin."

Edited by moochie

University Of Texas At Austin; Electrical And Computer Engineering, PhD (F15); Rejected

"Fuck that professor who told me that he would support me until last week, but refused to answer any emails after that. Probably he found another student. Please behave according to ethics you filthy beasts at UT Austin."

While I agree this is too strong a reaction, I understand where he's coming from. I got a rejection letter in the mail from a school where I'd been in contact with the POI since September. And I had what I thought was a good phone interview with him. So I was really annoyed that he didn't e-mail me to let me know he'd decided to go with another student. Instead I just got that generic rejection letter. I mean, I know professors are busy, but how hard is it to write a quick e-mail, "Hey, sorry, I decided to go with another applicant who I felt was a better fit to my lab. But you are a very qualified applicant, and I wish you luck with your other applications"??? Or something like that?

"Grad GPA 3.95, two papers. So rude! Somebody is not as good as me but got an offer! Do not know the conditions for admission, quite upsite"

Such modesty.

Lol such modesty.

Such modesty.

What a lovely piece of dark poetry

I saw this one today and thought of this thread-

Oregon State University, Mechanical Engineering PhD, 20 Mar 2015:

"If it's a joke it's not funny at all! This is ridiculous. I had everything that they wanted and a lot more. Are they playing dice to get these results?"

University Of North Carolina Wilmington Creative Writing, MFA (F15) Rejected via E-mail on 26 Mar 2015   26 Mar 2015

• Just in case I didn't understand the first rejection email, they sent me a second 247one today. Duh - I get it! You don't want me!

Honestly the people who send out the rejection emails/mail really ought to know better, knowing we all put our emotional well being into these applications...

Honestly the people who send out the rejection emails/mail really ought to know better, knowing we all put our emotional well being into these applications...

My favorite schools are the ones who tell you you're rejected online, but also note that a rejection letter is coming in the mail as well. Why waste the envelope?

UCSD Computer Science, Masters (F15) Rejected via E-mail on 26 Mar 2015 I 26 Mar 2015
  • report spam
  • Not affected even a bit, especially after looking at some of the profiles of people who got admitted. Followed thegradcafe and other forums closely over the past three months. Going by the pattern, UCSD accepted students with even average profiles (no papers, no internship / work ex, degree from not so reputed institution, bad gre score, bad gpa) but who applied as early as November. As the submission date closer to the deadline, cgpa solely (nothing else, none of the factors mentioned above, not even the undergrad major) seems to have affected the decision. Just thought everyone should know. No hard feelings though. Got into a better university. :)

Is this person saying they only let average people in?

I'm sure universities go "No way, this guy is way too good for us! He should be in the Ivy League!"...

In which this user reveals the similarities between magicians and adcomms: 

University of Maryland, Civil and Environmental Engineering, PhD:

"had been in contact with a faculty, she verbally assigned me for RA position, but tadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, REJECTED!!!"

I can only picture an admit letter/email disappearing like a magician's assistant. My heart breaks for this person as well. 

This one made me giggle:

Georgetown, Foreign Science: 

"Email notification to check the website. I also got an email saying that I should reapply next year after retaking the GRE and getting more international experience... But I got into other programs so BYE FELICIA." 
Edited by scarvesandcardigans

University Of North Carolina Wilmington Creative Writing, MFA (F15) Rejected via E-mail on 26 Mar 2015   26 Mar 2015

• Just in case I didn't understand the first rejection email, they sent me a second 247one today. Duh - I get it! You don't want me!

I got not one but three rejection notices from Harvard.  One on the website, one a week letter via email to check website, and then one in snail mail.  I get it, I'm rejected, no need to be obnoxious about it!

University Of Wisconsin Madison

Mathematics, PhD, PhD (F15)

"Hi everyone. Could applicants that have been accepted into more prestigious programs please consider informing the Director of Grad Studies promptly. We (the wait-listed) are depending on you. Thank you for your understanding."

Maybe the wait-list should have bolstered parts of their application to prevent this dependance on the rest of the application pool? 

Edited by babybird

I got not one but three rejection notices from Harvard.  One on the website, one a week letter via email to check website, and then one in snail mail.  I get it, I'm rejected, no need to be obnoxious about it!

Hey Harvard just called me and asked me to tell you that you were rejected from Harvard. Sorry :-(.

:P

Yale English, PhD (F15) Rejected via Phone on 1 Apr 2015  A 3 Apr 2015
  • qanted to meditate on texts under jonathan edwards. not happening. should have applied last year. feeling hungry, so I ate fries and hearts with paul, harold and geoffrey in a ford while flowers bloomed. david--my cat's tan--loves milton. yale is the fruit of that forbidden tree.

pure poetry

University Of Memphis Speech Pathology, Masters (F15) Rejected via Postal Service on 3 Apr 2015 A 3 Apr 2015
  • I received my SECOND rejection letter from UM today. I wonder if they thought I was too stupid to understand the first one?

I laughed, but ouch.

I could be wrong, but I believe watches are (or were) a typical gift received upon promotion in the business/financial sector.  

No... “I bought a watch last year”  is actually a slang and has the same "abbreviations" in chinese pinyin with "fak your mother and go to hell". It is pretty popular in Chinese forums. lol

Edited by obiwang

My favorite is from last year:

University Of Virginia Electrical And Computer Engineering, PhD (F14) Rejected via Website on 7 Apr 2014 I 8 Apr 2014
  • Pahahahaha! Of all fishes in the ocean, a wrecked school like UVa had the guts to reject me? These guys are a joke with no punch line. I've been admitted to far better programs. Charlottesville, Viginia can suck it!!! On the flip side, my horoscope warned me about applying to this school. I should have listened!

My favorite is from last year:

University Of Virginia Electrical And Computer Engineering, PhD (F14) Rejected via Website on 7 Apr 2014 I 8 Apr 2014
  • Pahahahaha! Of all fishes in the ocean, a wrecked school like UVa had the guts to reject me? These guys are a joke with no punch line. I've been admitted to far better programs. Charlottesville, Viginia can suck it!!! On the flip side, my horoscope warned me about applying to this school. I should have listened!

The salt is so real. How the hell does a horoscope tell you what school you should apply to?